Help with TD in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hezzwhite

Reaction score
Hello! I have titanium dioxide that is oil and water soluble. I dispersed it in a bit of oil the put it in my soap. When I was cutting my soap I notice it actually had not fully dissolved and left white spots that smear when touched in the finished product. Is this soap ruined? Do I need to chalk it up as a loss, is it ok to use, do I keep for re-batch etc.

Attachments

• 71192784218__3A1EC156-DC8B-4CB5-B487-EF5058086918.jpeg
    71192784218__3A1EC156-DC8B-4CB5-B487-EF5058086918.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Hello! I have titanium dioxide that is oil and water soluble. I dispersed it in a bit of oil the put it in my soap. When I was cutting my soap I notice it actually had not fully dissolved and left white spots that smear when touched in the finished product. Is this soap ruined? Do I need to chalk it up as a loss, is it ok to use, do I keep for re-batch etc.
The only issue with titanium dioxide in your soap is cosmetic. If everything else in your soap is OK, then go ahead and use it! In the future, you may want to pour your premixed titanium dioxide through a fine mesh sieve to catch the lumps. You will also find ways to mix oxides and other colors in YouTube videos.

Right after I joined the forum, I was doing another one of my experiments and I had a total TD disaster. You can see it here. My husband’s geology friends love this soap! I don’t believe I could re-create it if I tried. But now that I think of it, that may be another good experimental project for me. 😁

here

When i mix my TD in water, I literally have to smoosh it against the wall of the cup with the back of teaspoon to break up the lumps - it takes ages to get the lumps out fully. If you don't take this time to ensure the TD mixture is smooth it will always come out blotchy.

These days, I mix a larger amount at a time, and pour it into a squeezey bottle into which I have put a marble. I then have enough to last several batches of soap and it is always ready to use - just give it a shake to disperse ( the marble helps to mix it up) and squeeze out the liquid into my soap mixture.

I actually quit using TD because it was such a hassle and just dealt with the discoloring of fragrance oils. Other than that I recommend mixing it in a jar using a dedicated mixer and just letting the sediment stay on the bottom of the jar. I always found it never totally dissolved whether water or oil TD. My method, when I was still using it was to use a small whip mixer in a pint jar mixing it in a long-lasting light oil such as HO Canola or Sunflower, and keep it refrigerated. I would periodically mix it but when I was going to use it I would just pour off the top not mixing up the sediment.

I only use TD in sunscreen -- and that's not very often. I use white kaolin clay to lay down a foundation if I want whiter soaps or brighten other colors. Every time I read about members having problems with TD ( which is fairly often) I'm glad I never went that direction. Whatta PITA. 🤪

I'm a regular TD user. I've had luck with a pallette knife. I put the TD and light oil on a cutting board and then squish it with a pallette knife. But mostly I put TD and oil in a plastic baggie and squish it with my fingers. I keep meaning to try the squirt bottle (the applied linguistics expert among us calls it the squeezey bottle) and marble technique. Good luck! Despite the labor, I like the results.
I also use TD to do a mica line and it's safe to use.
I like your soap -- very purtee.

Latest posts

Back