White Marks on SP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beans4reezy

Reaction score
Hello there! Yesterday, I created what i wanted to be a facial bar- but when I woke up this morning, I noticed a crack or two in the soap - which I know isn't a big deal. But what concerns me are these tiny little dry circles on top of my soap. I've attached a photo here. Can anyone help me? What could be the culprit?

I used a mixture thyme, lavendar, clary sage, and tea tree essential oil at a rate of .5. I also used shea and mango butters with jojoboa oil and fractionated coconut oil.

Any help would be so very much appreciated :razz:

Soap.jpg

These may just be air bubbles, have you tried the zap test? Overheating causes the top of soap to crack. You can spray it with alcohol and smooth it down if you do it right-a-way.

Awesome. Maybe I can salvage?! I was getting scared, like I needed to throw it away...THANKS!!!

I would def zap test it... they look like lye bubbles to me. Ive had that happen before when the soap didn't reach the right temp at the right time (too hot too fast) and it isnt quite saponified. Zaptest Zaptest Zaptest!!! (chanting)

If it zaps you just let them sit for a little while longer than you normally do to cure, and zap test again... (so if your curing at 4 weeks add 2 more and zap test again then)

I would def zap test it... they look like lye bubbles to me. Ive had that happen before when the soap didn't reach the right temp at the right time (too hot too fast) and it isnt quite saponified. Zaptest Zaptest Zaptest!!! (chanting)

If it zaps you just let them sit for a little while longer than you normally do to cure, and zap test again... (so if your curing at 4 weeks add 2 more and zap test again then)

I'm really new to soap making, so I will need to see what the zap test is...

Thanks for the compliment on my soap!!! I'm attaching a view of the full mold:p

Facial Soap Full Loaf.jpg

I get those when I get over zealous with a hand blender and goes to heavy trace for me. By the way your soap looks gorgeous.

I wonder if these white spots are throughout the log - that is, within each bar? I did some research from one of my reference books and it states that shea butter (along with other high saturated oils) under certain cp making conditions can create small, white specks on or throughout a bar of soap. This is normal (hopefully this is the case) and is safe to use. It is just an aesthetic or beauty issue. BUT... on the safe side I would test for any zap. Your soap is beautiful - you have a great way to make the wave look. Good for you! :thumbup:

I get those when I get over zealous with a hand blender and goes to heavy trace for me. By the way your soap looks gorgeous.

Thanks so much!

And yes, I do think it may be an issue with a heavy trace. I remember being suprised that it traced so quickly.

Just to be sure though, I will definitely zap test tonight, after I cut the bars.

I have a feeling that your soap will test OK! If not just let them cure for four weeks and test again. Welcome to the world of soapmaking.

Beautiful soap!

Just a small FYI .. fractionated coconut oil is better for lotions and other leave-on products. It's more expensive than regular 76 degree CO which is what most soapmakers use, I believe. Just to save you some $$

Beautiful soap!

Just a small FYI .. fractionated coconut oil is better for lotions and other leave-on products. It's more expensive than regular 76 degree CO which is what most soapmakers use, I believe. Just to save you some $$
Awesome tip!! Thank you so much!!

I have a feeling that your soap will test OK! If not just let them cure for four weeks and test again. Welcome to the world of soapmaking.

I tested it yesterday with the zap test. It didn't zap my tongue. I'm going to let it cure for 4 weeks! Thanks for all the help guys!

Latest posts

Back