white cloths turning gray

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samjesse

Reaction score
Hi
I read few complains about white cloths turning gray when laundry soap is made using the mix of Borax, Washing Soda, Bar of soap, Baking Soda and optional OxyClean. Any body knows why and hot to modify the mix to avoid this problem?

Many thx

They are gray in comparison to detergent wased clothes because there are added optical brightners in them. Try soaking your clothes overnight in oxyclean and if possible, dry them outside in the sun for further natural sun bleaching (advise you only sun your whites!)

Homemade laundry soap mix does not rinse out well with our hard water. The gray may be residue left from the soap mixture.

I will add a splash of bleach to my whites every couple of weeks to help keep them from looking dingy. Probably not the most environmentally friendly solution, but I figure a bottle of bleach lasts me most of a year and I don't purchase my laundry detergent anymore so it is not such a big deal overall.

We add vinegar in the washing machine receptacle for the rinse, otherwise we do the same (liquid soap instead of bar soap) and no oxyclean. Perhaps we got used to our clothes not being super white? they seem fine though.

My mom used a wringer washer with two rinse tubs when I was a kid. She put the bluing in the last rinse tub and hung our clothes on the clothes line. Her whites were really white.

I have somewhat hard water - I used the Fels Naptha recipe for a long time and it does make whites a little dingy so every few weeks I would use reg detergent. However recently I made a batch of basic lard soap and it works great even in an HE washer. I mixed it up with some Borax and use maybe 3 T - I can't tell the difference. And you can scent it with whatever you want.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back