Which cutting implement is best?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I was wondering what cutting implement for cold process soap is the best to prevent cracking.

I used a really sharp knife but i'm thinking a wire cutter would be best. When I was cutting a bar off of basically a very large bar that came out of the mold, I was pushing the knife straight down. The knife would go about half way down before a horizontal crack would form and the "bar" would basically become two bars. The crack is at an angle too so the bars are not aesthetically pleasing.

I cut the soap twelve hours after making it, and it's a bit crumbly too. The recipe checks out on soapcalc, but i did not heat up the lye water because it was leftover and I was all out of crockpots.

I looked through the forums for info about "crumblyness", and there seems to be a few possible explanations.

I'm unclear about the definitions of gelling and tracing, and so I don't know if it gelled or not.

I'm thinking If I had cut it sooner then it sould be softer and less prone to cracking, but it seems like the advice given to somebody else in the forums was to wait longer. So that seems counterintuitive.

I'm going to try again tonight.

here's my recipe

Kokum butter 10%
olive oil 35%
palm oil 20%
castor oil 5%
coconut oil 30%

I also consider myself an excellent resource on a number of technical subjects so feel free to ask for help sometimes. I introduced myself on the introduction forums. :D

Welcome!

Without being there, I think you are cutting it too soon. Unless it is a 100% CO bar, I wait at least 18 hours to cut. If you did it room temperature, it would be less likely to gel, as well, which means that it is good to leave it even longer for it to set up. You might also want to cut back on your solid oils, they are a tad bit on the high side.

It gels if it heats up and gets darker, starting in the middle. It then cools down, hardens, and the color turns less dark, but still more intense (less pastel, anyways, and a bit less opaque) than non gelled soaps. You can encourage gel by insulating or making big batches, and prevent it by soaping cool and putting it in the fridge or freezer. Neither one is right or wrong, just preference.

I have had this happen when I used insufficient water and the soap did not gel.

For some reason it seems that when I use finely ground oatmeal I also need to increase the amount of water or I have this crumbliness happen.

I cut some of my soaps after about 12 hours, depends on the recipe.

I do not have a good tool to cut my soaps either. I am using a pastry cutter but I hear guitar strings are the bomb for cutting soap. Some people use cheese slicers.

green soap said:
I hear guitar strings are the bomb for cutting soap. Some people use cheese slicers.

one of these days i will try making one. those looks so easy to make if you have a thumb for those kind of crafts. maybe hubby should make it, he seems to have a "thumb" for everything.

thanks for the responses. Just to clarify. Everything was hot except the lye solution.

Your recipe looks good. Did you reach a good trace? Because the soap should start to heat up on its own, regardless of the lye temp when you start. I don't know if it is necessary to feel it heat up, but I feel it when I pour.

As for the cutter, I have a straight cutter, which is a pastry blade basically. A zig zag soap cutter and a coping saw with a piano wire, which I havent tried yet. But your soap shouldnt crumble, even using a knife.

this is my cutter - it's a cheese slice and works fine on loaf soaps and round, so long as they're not too high or too wide. very cheap and you can replace the wire if necessary.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mind you, i long for one of those bar cutters i keep seeing!!

It sounds to me like your soap is rather dense and your knife is thick. I have had that happen with delicate foods, the knife is like a wedge, when the top of the knife starts going through it is pushing the 2 pieces apart. Try a thinner blade or a wire cutter as other posters suggested.

Jax, where did you find that? I wanted one and even went to a restaurant supply store. We made mine out of the coping saw, but is is the same idea.

soapy gurl, here in france they're everywhere - i got this one at the supermarket for (i think) about 5 euros. you also get them here at car boot sales but if you go somewhere that sells kitchenware such as graters, sieves etc. you should find one. if they don't exist over there let me know and i'll stick one in the post to you. :lol:

Back