Where to get lye in Cameroon

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakingNana

Reaction score
Yep...not kidding....I'm teaching a lady from Cameroon to soap. She wants to go back to her country and make soap; she says it's needed in her town. Does anyone know (any West African soapers out there?!?!) where she could get lye in her country?

I just did a google search and 11 suppliers came up in South Africa - just type in that information.

Thanks, Relle, but I did that first, before I posted. I know there are lots in South Africa, but it's the shipping from country to country that seems to be a problem. On a business listing site I did find a chemical company located in Cameroon. They don't seem to have a website or an e-mail, but they did supply a phone number and contact person. I passed the info on to my student. Hopefully if that company itself cannot supply lye, they will know who can. She returns to Cameroon sometime in November. It's been an amazing experience to work with her. I've learned things I never would have been able to otherwise. I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to travel to west Africa. There is a really large snake that is hunted in Cameroon, and it provides an oil that is used in many ways, one being for skin care. She's going to superfat with some of it (I doubt anyone knows its SAP value!). Can't wait to hear how that turns out!

BakingNana said:
Thanks, Relle, but I did that first, before I posted. I know there are lots in South Africa, but it's the shipping from country to country that seems to be a problem. On a business listing site I did find a chemical company located in Cameroon. They don't seem to have a website or an e-mail, but they did supply a phone number and contact person. I passed the info on to my student. Hopefully if that company itself cannot supply lye, they will know who can. She returns to Cameroon sometime in November. It's been an amazing experience to work with her. I've learned things I never would have been able to otherwise. I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to travel to west Africa. There is a really large snake that is hunted in Cameroon, and it provides an oil that is used in many ways, one being for skin care. She's going to superfat with some of it (I doubt anyone knows its SAP value!). Can't wait to hear how that turns out!

Hmm, that might give snake oil a good name!

South Africa's pretty far away; she might have better luck trying to source lye from the Middle East or even the UK. However, I imagine that contacting a chemical company would be her best bet. It's highly unlikely that the country of Cameroon doesn't use lye in a variety of applications. What a great experience for the two of you!

Hi Judymoody! Snake oil.... :lol: About using lye in Cameroon. She told me that they leach water through wood ashes and use the liquid to make a soup (yes soup - not soap!). I'd guess that would be sort of like the weak lye solution used in hominy or the dried corn for tortillas. I'm hoping to learn a few words or phrases of her language before she leaves. Communication has been a challenge, but it's been SO fascinating. I'll try to remember to get her to write down the name of the snake. I never did get that word! It's not one I know, like python, or boa, or anaconda, etc. To see her gesture at how big that thing was gave me the shivvvvvers!!

The lye soup is a pretty concentrated lye solution. I saw some videos on youtube about making ash soap.

There are different ways to make your own lye, the ash method being one of the easiest.

About the snake, you should spend with her few hours online googling snake pictures :)

What an amazing experience! You are very lucky to get to teach her and are obviously enjoying it! :D

For sure, Soapy Gurl! I got in the last of her supplies this week so she's making some "homework" batches this week and we'll see how it goes. I'm still worried about her being able to find a source for lye. Making her own is not what she wants, as the one person in her village that makes soap for washing clothing does that and it's not the good soap she wants for personal hygiene. She told me that if the chemical company source(s) are owned by white people, it may be difficult for her to deal with them. Apartheid attitudes are still live and well in some countries. She has not been home for 8 years, so we're praying things have changed since she was last there. If not, I'll try to intervene, but I'm really in uncharted territory here and don't really know what I can or should do.

Back