Where to get coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new soaper

Reaction score
I'm pretty new and looking to use coconut oil in my soaps. I have a local place that sells for $6.50 a pound. Is there anywhere with better prices?? And what does DOS stand for. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I agree with Soaper's Choice if in the US. I was fortunate and found a restaurant supplier locally that carries CO and Castor. Their Palm is higher so I still get that and PKO, Shea and Cocoa Butter from Soapers Choice. Fast delivery and prices are good.

Do you have a Costco? They carry coconut oil. The best price that I've found is Soaper's Choice. My restaurant supply places rarely have coconut, and it's usually colored with beta carotene. In my exerience, Costco has the best prices without going through mail order.

I live near Portland Oregon and we have a Costco but I guess I'm not sure what kind of coconut oil. There are a few different choices.

You can get a 30oz jar at walmart for around $5.60. Its actually cheaper then what they sell at costco. The oil at costco is a better quality for eating but no reason to buy the expensive stuff for soap.
You can use any coconut oil, I just prefer the cheap kind.

Thank u I have so much to learn. I've done a couple batches now and not sure cause we have to wait 4-6 weeks. I'm excited though and def getting the soap bug.

You can get a 30oz jar at walmart for around $5.60. Its actually cheaper then what they sell at costco. The oil at costco is a better quality for eating but no reason to buy the expensive stuff for soap.
You can use any coconut oil, I just prefer the cheap kind.

I haven't seen that! What brand is it and where do they keep it? I see the Lou-Ann brand, but usually in 12 or 16 oz jars, I think.

BTW, Walmart has castor oil for less than $3 for a 6 oz bottle. It's with the laxatives, usually on the same shelf as the mineral oil.

Its the lou-ann brand and is with the other cooking oils in the grocery section. Not all stores carry the same products, mine doesn't have high oliec sunflower or the GV shortening.

Currently trying to figure out the best supplier of coconut oil myself. I recently relocated to London, UK (from Washington DC) - and while I assume that new soaper is in the US, someone else in the UK might benefit from my research on the topic so far.

The best priced coconut oil here seems to be by the brand called KTC, http://www.ktc-edibles.com. They don't sell direct, but you can buy their oils in many large grocery stores as well as small shops all over the place. The cheapest coconut oil on eBay is still twice as expensive as buying the KTC 500ml jar of it for £2.25 (approx $3.68 ) from Tesco. There are some online wholesale companies out there that sell it for even cheaper, like this one here, http://www.pakswholesale.com. I'm currently trying to figure out their shipping prices, and may place a bulk order in the near future. I rely on coconut oil heavily in my soapmaking because I don't use palm oil in my recipes out of environmental concerns.

Which Tesco in London has KTC Coconut oil? I have seen it on the website but tried two stores so far with no luck. I used to get mine for £2 in an African store, I got 1 or two jars a week, I was so happy until one day they suddenly up the prices to £2.50. So I started to go across the road to the Turkish Supermarket instead for £2.25 I think.

Which Tesco in London has KTC Coconut oil? I have seen it on the website but tried two stores so far with no luck. I used to get mine for £2 in an African store, I got 1 or two jars a week, I was so happy until one day they suddenly up the prices to £2.50. So I started to go across the road to the Turkish Supermarket instead for £2.25 I think.

Soapylondon, I don't have a sweet clue as to which Tesco actually carries KTC Coconut Oil. I, like you, have tried several physical stores with no luck. A couple times a month, my husband and I place an online order from Tesco, mostly for non-soaping reasons, like getting stocked up on soy and coconut milks, I also add a few 500ml jars of KTC Coconut Oil. Last time I ordered though, they had to substitute it for those silly 250 ml glass bottles of KTC Coconut Oil. I find them kind of annoying because I have to submerge them in hot water to get the coconut oil liquid before I can attempt making soap.

I assume you are talking about BIG, 500ml jars of KTC Coconut Oil being sold in little ethnic shops for £2-2.5? Not the small 250ml bottles? Because if I had access to the big ones for £2.25 I'd consider it sorted out. And if you're paying that much for the small ones, then you're definitely overpaying.

Yes they are 500ml bottles, I can't remember the exact price, £2.25 or £2.35 but still good, the oil itself weights 440 grams for 500 ml.
I can't find any supplier online any cheaper, once you add VAT and postage it all comes to around £5 kilo

Yes they are 500ml bottles, I can't remember the exact price, £2.25 or £2.35 but still good, the oil itself weights 440 grams for 500 ml.
I can't find any supplier online any cheaper, once you add VAT and postage it all comes to around £5 kilo

It's good that you have local shops that sell big jars for that price. The little ethnic shops in my area all seem to be selling small glass bottles of it for anywhere between £1.79-£2.
I'll keep an eye out on those types of shops, maybe I'll come across one that sells it. In the meantime, these guys - http://www.pakswholesale.com - say that they deliver anything that weighs less than 30kg for £5. However, when I was about to place my order, I saw that they were going to charge me £10 instead. So I wrote them and asked what the deal is with their advertised shipping charges vs real life. Still waiting for them to get back to me.

Back