Where to find a wire cheese cutter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
So, I have two cutters already and since I have changed my bar size about 397459375975 times, neither one of them cuts the bars the size I "currently" want them (about 1 1/4"). I have one that cuts them 1" and one that cuts them 1.75"!

I don't have the cash to shell out for a new multi wire cutter any time soon (as bad as I need one), and I am just horrible with a knife - can't cut the bars straight for the life of me!

I was thinking in the mean time I might just get one of those wire cheese cutters I've heard about, but I can't find them anywhere around me. Where would I find one of those?

I may end up just ordering one online, but if anyone knows of any common stores I might be able to find one at, I'll look there when I go to the city next weekend.

Thanks!

You can find wire cheese cutters at most discount stores or grocery stores for a few dollars. Remove the bar below the wire to cut wider soaps.

I cut soap with a 'cake leveler' from WalMart and a cheapo plastic miter box. You can also substitute a violin or guitar string and a couple of pencils for the leveler.

Cake leveler:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/produc ... 43763E855E (I replaced the wire on mine with a violin string and it works great).

Miter Box:http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=215248-930-324PMB12&lpage=none

do you guys have bed bath and beyond up there? if so, they've got this one

4039513559740P.JPG

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=13559740

I hope they have that at the store because I'm getting one and using it for cheese!!

Milla said:
I hope they have that at the store because I'm getting one and using it for cheese!!

i know, right?

that's the nicest one i've seen (and i think it's only 10 bucks, or something - wonder what's wrong with it? :lol: )

IanT said:
all we need now is some wine :)

I've got plenty of that, over 80 bottles in my basement and all homemade! Plus enough fermenting for 50 bottles upstairs.

Saltysteele said:
Milla said:

i know, right?

that's the nicest one i've seen (and i think it's only 10 bucks, or something - wonder what's wrong with it? :lol: )

LOL! You probably can only cut very soft cheese!

milla, i know what you meant, but my first instinct made me shoot soda out my nose :p (i know, i'm childish sometimes)

i love homemade wine. i need to find a source of grapes again

I went to bed bath and body and all they had was the wood cheese slicer for $12.99 so I bought it. The wood is cute, it's kind of squares of different color. I haven't cut any soap with it yet though.

I don't actually make wine with grapes. I buy 6 gallon wine kits (they've crushed the grapes for me :)), use frozen juices, canned fruit, fresh fruit, frozen fruit, fruit juice, dried fruit. Tons of fun!

Milla said:
I went to bed bath and body and all they had was the wood cheese slicer for $12.99 so I bought it. The wood is cute, it's kind of squares of different color. I haven't cut any soap with it yet though.

I don't actually make wine with grapes. I buy 6 gallon wine kits (they've crushed the grapes for me :)), use frozen juices, canned fruit, fresh fruit, frozen fruit, fruit juice, dried fruit. Tons of fun!

oh, okay, gotcha. i think my brother has done a couple peach batches of the concentrated peach juice.

he makes a kick butt strawberry out of real strawberries, too.

i've only made wine out of concord grapes, as that is my favorite type. not that i have an aversion to doing it your way, i just didn't get around to, and then forgot about it :) i better wait a bit, as my wife would kill me if i got into something else :lol:

i'm into the sweet wines, or a nice complex wine.

i'm sorry, i don't mean to take this off course again.

i'm with kittywings, what is can-tire?

I bought one exactly the same as the pic salty posted. I got it a junky/discount store for $11. I was looking around for one for a while before I found it there though.

I looked all over and decided that walmart only sells them at Christmas in those gift sets. I found one for $12 on ebay.

You could check yard sales if you don't need it right now.

I use a wire cheese cutter similar to the pic for cutting my Whipped Soap.
It is the only cutting method that does not fracture my soap.

I have also used it for HP soap and it worked well. Only thing to remember is that if you have "bits" like Oats or Lavender Buds on top of the log to turn the top of the log towards you i.e. place the log on it's side before you cut, otherwise the wire drags the "bits" down the side of the slice and leaves grooves.

Hope that makes sense.

Saltysteele said:
Milla said:

oh, okay, gotcha. i think my brother has done a couple peach batches of the concentrated peach juice.

he makes a kick butt strawberry out of real strawberries, too.

i've only made wine out of concord grapes, as that is my favorite type. not that i have an aversion to doing it your way, i just didn't get around to, and then forgot about it :) i better wait a bit, as my wife would kill me if i got into something else :lol:

i'm into the sweet wines, or a nice complex wine.

i'm sorry, i don't mean to take this off course again.

i'm with kittywings, what is can-tire?

We grow concordes and make wine with them too. It is more like a table wine, I think...very yummy.

So cool how we can find so many common interests

beautifulbay said:
We grow concordes and make wine with them too. It is more like a table wine, I think...very yummy.

So cool how we can find so many common interests

so true! I think we all just like to make stuff from scratch. If there's something to be made we can make it!

Latest posts

Back