where do you buy your lye??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get mine shipped in from AAA Chemibcal supply in Texas with nary a problem. I know some places have strict shipping rules, like SnowDrift Farms and Brambleberry, but other's do not. It really depends on the company and what their unique shipping policies are (unless perhaps the national laws have changed since I last ordered which was right before Christmastime---I sure hope they haven't changed!).

IrishLass

I'm getting ready to place an order with AAA Chemicals... there technical grade stuff is really cheap and I've heard good things about them.

PS. there bulk oils are really cheap too, especially olive & palm oils.

my favorite online place is the "lye guy" i think it's thelyeguy.com if you buy 6 at one time you get a 7th free or something like that. i like his bottles....easy to pour from and grasp. i've gotten from the soap dish before but she has some requirment that you must hot buy lye by itself or she won't ship it to you (must by some other soaping prod...) i don't find that an enticement.

Okay, thanks! So there are places to buy online that can ship. I am going to check Hobby Lobby in town and see if they have it. I bet it is probably priced higher, but after shipping, who knows.

i don't think HL will. you might try places that sell drain cleaner like lowes, home depot or other hardware stores. also maybe ask if they will order a specific brand for you and ask for one that is all lye. there is a brand called Roebic crystal drain cleaner that is 100% lye. there are a couple of other ones that are also 100%lye. do not try draino. it is not all lye. lol, i bought it...it has metal in it and is blue!

If you live anywhere near a rural/farming area check the AG store/supply houses. I get my lye from them. Around $60 for 50 lbs. No shipping costs.

I know the Atwoods store here carries it but you have to ask for it and give ID to get it.

Val

Home Hardware here carries 3lb jugs, very cheap too.
Took me a lot of searching to find it here though, think i went to just about everywhere else before i found them

Latest posts

Back