When to use Titanium Dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrissyB

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
Could someone please tell me the best way to use Titanium Dioxide to whiten soap...do you add it to the water before the lye, or to the soap batter at trace? OR to the oils before the lye? this option sounds the best to me
I would like to make a really white soap so I am hoping someone will answer this one for me.

Hi Chrissy,

I have added liquid TD my lye water and also to my oils. If you use the powder I have read that it is best to add to your oils - maybe blend it into some of the oil first, then add to the main batch.

HTH!

Tanya :)

As a side note, TD can be water soluble or oil soluble, or both. Check to see which one you have for best time to add to your soap mixture.

Digit

digit said:
As a side note, TD can be water soluble or oil soluble, or both. Check to see which one you have for best time to add to your soap mixture.

Digit

Thanks for that Digit - I didn't know it was one or the other, I thought it was either/or......so now I have learned something new. My liquid TD may be in a glycerine base which is probably why I can add it to either the water or oil do you think?

Tanya :)

Mine is a powder, so I took a ladle of oil out of my melted oils, mixed the powder into that, then put that back in with the main oils, then put the lye in. It worked great, and a little goes a long way. I have serious lust for white soap, there is something so pure and clean about it. My next challenge is to make a milk based white facial soap. Will have to decide what type of milk to use, I am a bit over coconut!
Thanks everyone for your help!
You guys are such good friends, always there to help when I need you.

topcat said:
I didn't know it was one or the other, I thought it was either/or......
There are some that I have seen that are supposed to be soluble in both. Just check the description from the vendor.

I had to learn about it the hard way and ended up with soap that did not have the TD incorporated well into it. Yup, in the "ugly lesson" box it went. I have way too many of those.

Digit

digit said:
topcat said:
I didn't know it was one or the other, I thought it was either/or......
There are some that I have seen that are supposed to be soluble in both. Just check the description from the vendor.

I had to learn about it the hard way and ended up with soap that did not have the TD incorporated well into it. Yup, in the "ugly lesson" box it went. I have way too many of those.

Digit

HAHA! My family asks why they only get to use the ugly oops soaps! Why do you think, the dirty monsters! :lol:

quick clarification - TD is not "soluble" in either oil or water, but there are versions that are DISPERSABLE (sp?) in one or the other (never saw both)

carebear said:
quick clarification - TD is not "soluble" in either oil or water, but there are versions that are DISPERSABLE (sp?) in one or the other (never saw both)
You are absolutely correct, Carebear. Dispersible is the correct action, not soluble. While dispersion will produce a uniform mixture, it is far from being a homogeneous solution as I implied. Pardon me for my poor choice of terms. I will be more diligent in the future before posting inaccurate information.

One example of TiO2 with the claim of being both oil and water dispersible is: http://www.organic-creations.com/servle ... oap/Detail

Digit

Latest posts

Back