When to add preservative

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
I've read on some other posts that we add our preservative to LS at the time of dilution and base it off of the total weight (paste weight plus fluid weight).

But I was just thinking. Dilution can take 10 hours and the weight can change from start to finish.

Are you adding your preservative at the start of dilution (based on weight then)?
or
At the completion of dilution (Based on weight here)?

Thanks!!!!

At the completion of dilution because you have cannot know for sure how much extra water will be added during dilution. Base it on the total weight because it is basically the water you need to preserve since soap has a high enough ph to no let bugs grow. Some do not even believe you have to preserve, but I can positively say I have had mold grow in LS

I agree with cmzaha, you should add preservative at the time that all of the paste has dissolved in the dilution liquid and when that dilution batch has cooled down enough to add the preservative. With Liquied Germall Plus I think the temp. around 120* F.

Latest posts

Back