when to add EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dggriffi

Reaction score
my most recent batch of CPHP soap ( my third batch so far) is complete and the results are much better but i still had some odd results. Specifically, the soap has some small clumps that are well integrated into the soap.

Is this perhaps not enough blending or overheating.

Also, letting the soap cool down enough to not flash off the EO made the soap incredibly thick and almost impossible to mix.

Perhaps not enough water?

I did about 40% PKO 40% CO and 20% OO
I didn't wait for the lye water to cool down and i just added and stick blended to trace. I let it cook on low for about 20 minutes.

Any advice wise ones?

dggriffi said:
my most recent batch of CPHP soap ( my third batch so far) is complete and the results are much better but i still had some odd results. Specifically, the soap has some small clumps that are well integrated into the soap.

Is this perhaps not enough blending or overheating.

Also, letting the soap cool down enough to not flash off the EO made the soap incredibly thick and almost impossible to mix.

Perhaps not enough water?

I did about 40% PKO 40% CO and 20% OO
I didn't wait for the lye water to cool down and i just added and stick blended to trace. I let it cook on low for about 20 minutes.

Any advice wise ones?

what is your full recipe (including water and lye amounts... )

can give you better advice with more info! :)

It sounds like your soap seized . To answer your question in the title; when to add EO,

The best time to add it is during a light trace (at least from my experience) this way you still have time to work with it and before pouring into the mold... :)

I cook my soap in a porcelain pot at about 180 degrees for approx 1 hour checking on the half hour. It looks like vaseline when I take it out of the oven. Depending on the batch size I add approx 2-3 tbsp of heavy cream at this point which thins it down a little bit. I leave it with the lid off stirring occasionally for about 1/2 hour then add my fragrance and color/usually Lab Colors or Peacock colors. I never have any problems using this method. Hope this helps!!

IanT said:
what is your full recipe (including water and lye amounts... )

can give you better advice with more info! :)

It sounds like your soap seized . To answer your question in the title; when to add EO,

The best time to add it is during a light trace (at least from my experience) this way you still have time to work with it and before pouring into the mold... :)

PKO 35% 19.25oz
CO 35% 19.25oz
OO 30 16.5oz

water as a percent of oil 38% 20.9oz
superfat/discount 10%
lye concentration 28.271% 8.23oz

Latest posts

Back