When ordering FO's?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickjuly

Reaction score
Just curious when you order your fragrance oils, what size do most of you buy of scents you have only read about on message boards or websites?

I have been sticking to the smallest sizes but price per oz is alot cheaper when you get the bigger sizes.

THANKS!
:D

while relatively new, I've bought quite a few flavors. I make 2.5# batches, and at 0.7 ppo, it comes out to 2.0 oz per batch. I've got one that I'm hoping smells better as it cures, because right now I think it stinks. I purchased 6 or 8 oz of this, so have 4 or 6 oz of this left. If this stuff doesn't start smelling better, I've actually lost by saving more due to size/quantity discount.

So, I've resolved that until I've soaped with a scent and give my stamp of approval, I'm only buying enough to make 1 batch at a time :)

also, if you're looking to just sample a scent or EO, and you don't need it immediately, sometimes some suppliers sell very small, sample sizes (like 1/6 oz, or something). liberty natural has quite a few EO's in this size for like $1-2. While tempting to just purchase something like lavender or patchouli (flavors I love) in the gallon size (okay, exaggerating here :) ), you have to keep in mind oils are not the same from supplier to supplier.

I never buy 1 oz. Besides being expensive, it's not enough for even a trial batch for me. Ideally I'd get 2oz but most suppliers don't carry that so the economical alternative for a new FO is a 4 oz size.

I buy all my oils in at least 8 ounces, and most often 16 or even 32. My batches are at least 4 pounds each. I have yet to come across a scent I absolutely hate. Even the ones I dislike, I find can be mixed with others to make something more pleasing.

I research the FO and read the reviews on the suppliers sites. Then I go to the scent review board and have a read and see what the folks there are saying. Then I research on line soap stores and see what is selling the best for seasonal and regular lines . Then I order 8 or 16oz . Shipping kills me so I figure I better do my homework first . So far I don't have any I really dislike . I don't care for florals , but I am not making the soap for me :wink: A scent can be a huge seller for a long time and then it dies out and some scents are just a flash in the pan . That is just the way it goes .

kitn

4 oz from most suppliers, 2oz from DayStar since they carry it. I know it's more economical to get the larger bottles, but until I'm sure I can stomach the scent, just not gonna happen.

Thanks all! I research scents and research but there are SOO many scents by so many different sources its hard to decide. Still new to this since I only started making soap in July.

Began with only getting 1 oz, 2 oz and most was think 4oz. but am getting frustrated with having just continuously running out. Have tried Brambleberry, Heaven Scent and The Scent works so far. Next time I order in a few weeks hopefully will be from Wholesale Supplies Plus and or Daystar.

Problem is my wishlist is LONG and FO's add up quickly in price. But am loving this hobby!

that's it. i'm buying some monkey farts FO, some baked beans and sauerkraut, and I'm heading to the monkey section of the zoo.

we'll see if there is any merit to this whole monkey farts business :lol:

lmao

aaahh, yesss.... the penguin p!$$.... i had wondered when that was going to mainstream....

well, scratch the monkeys.. i'm off the drug store to buy some Lasix and ice cubes, then to the penguin section :wink:

(how do you suppose we keep the ice cubes from melting in the soap?)

artisan soaps said:
No Wait - that's so 2009

2010 is all about the Penguin P%^&$ and it's a natural colourant too! :roll:

LOL! And here I thought 2010 was going to be about Sheep S#!+... Dang!

well, you can still roll in "it," depending on what it is you mean by "it"

don't know how many friends you'd have afterwards, but.... :)

i can see you walking around with sheep marbles stuck in your hair lol

Back