When and how to add milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmi

Reaction score
I would like to try using almond milk and honey in my next batch of soap but after researching I still can't determine how to use it. I don't want to freeze the almond milk (no ice cube trays). I've read that you can use it as a percentage of your water and it's best not to add lye direct to it because it could burn the milk. But after all I've read I still don't know how to use it. Yes, I'm a newbie - sorry! So I need some help. Please tell me if I have this wrong. If my recipe calls for 1 cup of water (just assume - not actual) then I mix a half cup of water with the lye. Then after the lye cools I add a half cup of almond milk. Is that correct and is it the best way to do it without using frozen?

Also, regarding honey. If I want to add some at trace (mixed with a little warm water or warm oil) will it still add some color to my soap. And if I do it this way will the sugar content heat up the soap so I need to consider this when deciding to gell or not gell?

I'm sorry for all of the questions. I probably should have asked in two separate posts (one about the milk and another about the honey). I appreciate everyone's help and the wealth of knowledge here and figured its best to ask to avoid a disaster batch :wink:

I add my milk to the oils after adding my lye solution. You have to discount your water with your lye though. For instance if the water calls for 18 ounces and you want to add 6 ounces, use only 12 ounces of water when mixing your lye. You should not have a lye solution more than 50%. I love gm in my soap but found too many times full gm would burn no matter how cool or cause a weird smell. For me this has been fool proof even when I add floral scents or other additives such as honey which tend to heat up. I have only added a couple tablespoons of honey per pound of oil which really does not color much at all but the gm will give it a creamy yellow if I do not add td.

I add powdered milk at trace. I used to freeze the milk, but now am doing thermal transfer method (using hot lye solution to melt oils) so I went back to powdered. HTH!

Thanks ruby61! That's exactly what I needed to know. I've really want to try both but have been afraid of adding the almond milk at the wrong time.

Maitri the thermal transfer process sounds like it would make things easier. It's on my list of things to experiment with one of these days.

I really hate that the stuff out there sometimes freaks people out into not even trying new things, so good on you for finding a way and getting better information! I add my milk at trace BTW, it's easy peasy!

The way I do it is sooooo simple and I've never had any problems. I've read about people who have a cat-pee smell and people who have stinky milk....I don't know but that's never happened here! LOL.

All I do is look at the recipe and divide the water amount in half. I then add the 1/2 water and lye solution to the oils (as usual) and add the other 1/2 as milk....at trace. Easy peasy :)

I freeze my milk (milk, buttermilk, yogurt) in empty plastic containers (tubs that used to hold yogurt, for example, or clean Ziploc/Glad containers). Sometimes I use frozen milk for all the liquid - I just add the lye slowly. If the sugars in the milk do scorch or burn it doesn't hurt the soap, it just makes it a darker shade of tan. Sometimes I do the method of using water to mix the lye and add unfrozen milk at trace. As someone already said, make sure you use at least as much water as lye when using this method.

I use honey at the rate of 1/2 oz ppo. I mix the honey with a little warm water before adding it to the soap batter.
Eta: I don't gel my soap, but if you do gel a milk and honey soap, keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't overheat and/or volcano. If it starts to do that, pop it in the fridge to cool it down. Some people gel in the oven, in boxes, with lids on the mold, on a heating pad, cover with towels/blankets, etc. You'll have to experiment to see which works best for you, just keep in mind that the sugars in the milk and honey will definitely heat up during saponification.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of you taking the time to provide all of your helpful info and suggestions. It reduces my chances of making a bunch of newbie mistakes :D

I found this video helpful when I was researching goats milk. It shows how to use fresh, concentrated in the can, and powder. For Almond Milk, I guess you are using the carton, so just try any of the above recommendations. I never knew you could add the milk at trace until right now!

http://video.about.com/candleandsoap/Make-Soap-Using-Goat-Milk.htm

I have used frozen ice cube method and powder. I just learned here last week that the powder can be added directly to the oils before adding the lye water, tried it this weekend and it turned out perfectly, and no smell, but I never noticed the smell with powder.

Latest posts

Back