When adding FO.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkduchon

Reaction score
I read some where that FO can act like a base oil so you take some base oil out to compensate for the FO. Meaning if you have 4 oz. of FO, you take out about 4oz of base oils. Does anyone do this?

pinkduchon said:
I read some where that FO can act like a base oil so you take some base oil out to compensate for the FO. Meaning if you have 4 oz. of FO, you take out about 4oz of base oils. Does anyone do this?

According to this site you are supposed to deduct it--I find adding FO's do thin out the product, so I tend to agree::

Gracefruit’s Whipped Shea Butter

15% Liquid oil of choice (we like jojoba or rice bran oil)
85% Shea butter

In a microwave safe bowl, add chopped pieces of shea butter and then microwave on the defrost setting for a few seconds to soften the butter, but do not melt it. Doing it this way will prevent the shea butter going grainy. In a separate microwave-safe container, warm the oil of your choice. Using an electric mixer, blend the warmed oil and softened shea butter together until smooth. Once smooth, you may add fragrance oil if you wish at 2% (deduct this from the liquid oil). Scoop into containers while the mixture is still soft.

http://www.gracefruit.com/scripts/openE ... p?extra=19

HTH

from B&B stuff you can deduct it. From soap (CP) of course you wouldn't because it doesn't saponify.

Some FO's are indeed in a base of sweet almond oil, castor oil, or some other carrier oil. In these cases, the added FO will indeed, saponify. The same is true for EO's. The plant essence is incorporated into a carrier base oil. In both cases, the adding of either FO or EO will simply super-fat
your soap. Not even a issue to be concerned with....you are just taking an additional point or two lye discount! :D

Paul :wink:

Back