What's your favorite butter to soap with...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favoite butter in soap?

• avocado

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • horsetail

• mango

• olive

• pistachio

• coffee butter

• aloe butter (or shealoe)

• hemp butter

• macadamia nut butter

• other

• other

• Total voters

LJA

Reaction score
I know a lot of us use the "usuals" like shea and cocoa butter, but I'm finding that I LOVE avocado butter in my soaps. I was wondering what everyone else likes to use, and why.

Yay poll!~

I've only tried it a few times but Avocado is DA BOMB in soap!

I absolutely LOVE hemp, mango and cocoa butter too (shea...eh, not so much.), but that avocado just wowwwed me! Hard to soap it tho when all you wanna do is roll around in it nekkid!!

michelleB said:
I've only tried it a few times but Avocado is DA BOMB in soap!

I absolutely LOVE hemp, mango and cocoa butter too (shea...eh, not so much.), but that avocado just wowwwed me! Hard to soap it tho when all you wanna do is roll around in it nekkid!!

HAHAHA! Now THAT is funny! :lol:

I dont notice much difference, what should i notice? i like shea. I have mango and avacado butters, guess i better make some!

Hey LJA - I have tried shea, cocoa, mango & avocado butters in my soap and love the feel of all of them.....I wouldn't make a batch without at least 5% of some kind of butter. I prefer shea because of how my skin feels extra silky and smooth after I use soap with it in. They all work great yet shea seems to make a huge leap of a difference to me!

Avocado butter is pretty pricey for me to get and I find it adds no more properties than avocado oil, which I can source cheaper. I do love a soap with avocado oil at 10% and shea butter at 5% - gorgeous!

Tanya :)

I'm hooked on my mango butter. It adds a nice creamy goodness to my soaps.

IrishLass :)

Edited to add that although I have never tried avocado butter in soap, I do make certain soaps with fresh, pureed avocado flesh in them and they are really lovely, rich, and creamy.

i have mango butter waiting to be used....i used cocoa butter for the first time and i love how the soap feels in my hand, so firm and smooth....i can't wait to try the manago butter

Ok, I am curious to find where everyone is getting these delightful butters at excellent prices. I know of the usual suspects... but the specialty butters are always $$$ and at certain websites $$$$.

Hmmm, anyone have a one stop shop for fantastic butters?

This was cool! Thanks guys! I just think butters make a big difference. I wanna try them all!! You know....right after I hit the lottery! :wink:

I tend to use "poor man's butter"

In other words, about 20% Crisco and some kaolin clay.....makes very luxurious soap for CHEAP.

MikeInPdx said:

In other words, about 20% Crisco and some kaolin clay.....makes very luxurious soap for CHEAP.

No kidding? I'll have to try that sometime!

Imblebee said:
Ok, I am curious to find where everyone is getting these delightful butters at excellent prices. I know of the usual suspects... but the specialty butters are always $$$ and at certain websites $$$$.

Hmmm, anyone have a one stop shop for fantastic butters?

I just looked through my Glory Bee catalogue and I noticed they have avocado butter for $7.50 a pound, which is a really really good price.

LJA said:
MikeInPdx said:

No kidding? I'll have to try that sometime!

No kidding. When I first started soaping.....I bought from a soaper who used it in her recipes, along with lard. It is still one of the nicest soaps I've used to date.

shea butter

I've been reading that shea butter has to be melted a certain way to avoid crystalization. Sounds like a lot of trouble. Is it worth it?
Thanks!

Re: shea butter

blackfish said:
I've been reading that shea butter has to be melted a certain way to avoid crystalization. Sounds like a lot of trouble. Is it worth it?
Thanks!

Hey blackfish - I just melt it in the microwave (gently) with my other hard oils like coconut & palm, then once it is all melted I stir it into my other oils. If they are too cool then for your soaping temp choice you can heat gently until all the oils/butters are at the temp you want to soap with. All my soap with Shea Butter has turned out fine doing this. Perhaps the melting issue is more for using it with leave on products?

Tanya :)

Latest posts

Back