What's wrong with my lye? (pic included)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Healinya

Reaction score
img1262990599993.jpg

It's weighed out right. I stirred it thoroughly, it all dissolved. I've never seen this before. The lye is from aaa-chemicals who I always get it from. It arrived yesterday in a different container and seemed much 'beadier' than it usually is. I made it 5 hours ago, and left it to get to room temperature - maybe I should sit it in hot water? Any advice? I had everything laid out on the counter in the order I want and was really looking forward to making it when I got back home lol...

I have noticed a few small flecks like that here and there before (also use AAA Chemical). I mixed it as well as I could and made soap. The initial reaction of the oils and lye mixed or the gelling heat must have taken care of it, because none were visible during gel or afterward.

EDITED TO ADD - I was making an 8lb batch though, and that looks like a very small amount of lye/water.

I have noticed that the lye water will saponify any oily residues in your lye water container, like the almost invisible oily residue that is left on plastics after washing them. It creates a flaky film in the lye water. It's fine and won't hurt a thing. If your lye is good fresh lye, it will be even more noticeable because the lye eats the oily residue. Sometimes I have it, sometimes hardly at all. I think it depends on if I wash my lye container first, before I put any of my raw-soapy dishes into my dish water.

yep, I'll bet a million dollars (ok, not cash - maybe my first, and second, born) that there was some oily residue on the container you mixed in, or else on the spoon. ignore it.

My husband who knows nothing about soapmaking looked at it and asked if I washed the container out well enough - I not-so-politely informed him that I know how to wash a dish... I'm not going to tell him he was right lol. That makes the most sense. I soaped it as usual, looks great :)

That happened to me once when I made a second batch of soap. I thought I cleaned everything up but when I took my thermometer to stir my lye I realized the thermometer still had the last batch of oils on it. It saponified into those little white flakes. I just strained them through some cheesecloth and the soap turned out fine :)

carebear said:
yep, I'll bet a million dollars (ok, not cash - maybe my first, and second, born) that there was some oily residue on the container you mixed in, or else on the spoon. ignore it.

I'll throw in my third born also... :) I had that before when I was in a hurry and didn't clean up as well as I should have. I'll bet that you are right.

Yep, after having this a few times and thinking there may be some impurities in the sodium hydroxide, it finally dawned on me last week that my container hadn't been washed properly. :wink:

ok fine! you just want me to admit it - the pitcher was sitting in the sink dirty for four whole days covered with whatever happened to get poured over it the whole time, and the water I used to wash it was tepid at best.... there, my conscience is clear lol... ;-)

(seriously tho, thanks for the feedback you guys)

I can wash with hot water, I'll still have that happen. I have to run it through the washer to not get this. Oh poor me, can't wash by hand ;)

I've had the same issues with the flecks. I purchased a finely meshed steel strainer and when I pour the lye into the oils, I pour it right through the strainer and then the strainer goes right into my bucket of hot, soapy vinegar water that I keep in a bucket right by me. Works like a charm.

What is wrong with my lye?

I have very hard well water, even with filters and softeners. I get the same thing happening to me when I have run my lye mixture container through the dish washer. Now, I rinse the clean container out really well with reverse osmosis water (which we use for drinking water as our water tastes really really bad) before using. Since I started doing that, I don't have those funny little undissolved flakes or lye film any more. It can come from invisible mineral deposits on your container as well, of course, from a slight oil film leftover from washing. It has never affected my soap but I still don't like getting it in my lye solution.

I used to obsess about getting all residue out to prevent it, then I decided I could just filter the stuff out with a cheesecloth. then I threw caution to the wind and just soaped with it as is - soap is always fine.

it makes sense it can come from minerals too = I have super soft water so don't have that issue. if you do have hard water be aware that SOME metals can make your soap DOS prone.

yup, you can't tell one bit - I didn't strain it at all (glad it's for personal use tho - luv me my satsuma)

[photo removed from host]

I realized this batch is missing one thing from it than it usually has. My bag of silk was missing in action and so it didn't get included - I've used it in every batch since I got it. So now I wonder if the silk is the reason why I have never seen flecks like that (I'm very clean under most circumstances, but surprised since it seems so likely to happen) Still.... glad I asked - I almost tossed it, but thought I'd ask here first :)

Back