What's the Deal with Salt Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2LilMan

Reaction score
I've tried searching for the answer to this question, but I've not come up with anything.

What's the deal with salt soap? What's it good for? Why would I use it?

ha!

I've wondered the same thing for a long time. I don't really get the appeal of rubbing salt on my skin, I'm not a turkey....

I don't think there's much benefit to it in a rinse off product. But I think bath salts and things that you soak in/leave on, it can definitely have benefits as far as softening your skin and relieving muscle soreness.
We add salt to a bar we make with lime EO just to create a kind of margarita aesthetic, but it's purely for looks.

My skin feels very soft after using a salt bar as compared to my regular soaps. But I mainly love the abundant foamy lather. :D If you go through the CP section, there are numerous threads about salt soaps which will give you more information.

Speaking of the CP section, I'm moving this thread over there since you're discussing soap.

Make one and try it out for yourself! Just make sure you cure it properly or you won't get the benefits. As soon as my new(est) molds come in, I'm making up a batch of peppermint/spearmint salt soap. Well, actually two or three batches, since I'll be using the heck out of them myself! Mint scrubby soap (poppy seeds making it scrubby) is devine... Salt soap is devine, combined, I'm sure it'll be next to orgasmic. The salt bars make me feel super fresh.

The old adage of 'To each his/her own' definitely applies to whatever kind of soap we make, to be sure. :lol: Some love salt bars, and some just don't see the point. I personally like them. They are my go-to soap to stick by the sink for washing grubby hands. I like them over my regular-type soap for this purpose because they are super hard, super long-lasting, and they hold up well to frequent use without getting gooping up my soap dishes.

I love using them in the summer months because they feel so refreshing to my skin.

Hubby likes washing with them whenever he gets cuts, nicks, and scrapes because they heal quicker with my salt soap as opposed to when he washes with my regular soap.

IrishLass :)

I use my salt bars for washing my face. They're 100% CO and SF 20%, which means there's no dry or tight feeling after using them. The fine salt removes dead skin cells and salt is known to draw moisture.

I agree that the best way to find out what's so good about them, is to make some ... or buy some from someone else and give them a try.

I like to use salt bars at the sink. They don't get melty. Even with my soap saver, often "regular" soap makes a gooey mess, but the salt soap stays nice and solid.

I love salt bars,they feel like lotion to me.Yes they are very hard,smell great and leave my hands very soft.

I am a salt bar lover too... It is all I use. Love the way my skin feels after a shower... If you are going to make it. Watch it like a hawk... Informally cut mine an hour after pouring it into the mold

Or just go all out like someone I know *cough, cough* did, and buy a bunch of individual bar silicone molds specifically for salt bars! ;)

I got the individual silicone molds after many many many failed salt bar batches. In fact even after the molds it took me a while to get it down. I just made my first good batch the other week. I was having crazy ash and lots of crumbling.

The salt soap looks really neat, feels nice in your hand/on your skin and lasts a loooong time. People like it just because it's different too.

bettacreek said:
I plea the fifth! :D

Well, I'm sure we'll figure it out once you post pics of the lovely sounding peppermint/spearmint soap...hint...hint. :wink:

Sorry Mom2LilMan - I got a little off topic. As IrishLass said 'To each his/her own'. You might find you hate them. I've found they're much nicer after a long cure. I usually cure mine for 2-3 months and I just love the lather. It's different from regular soap.

Both my 16-year old daughter and I (I'm 50) like salt bars as facial soap. It's not drying, but it has been very effective at tackling her breakouts. I follow up with straight shea butter, and I have a skin care routine that is inexpensive, effective, and gentle. You really should make a small batch and try it for yourself. I was really unconvinced until I tried it for myself.

Thanks for all the replies! Of course, it's to each their own. That makes perfect sense. I've never made CP soap, but I'll think about it. Im generally a liquid soap person, but salt soap does sound interesting.

I'm glad you asked the question because I was wondering this as well. Specifically, if you shower with it, do you have to avoid sensitive areas? (My instinct says you wouldn't want to use it EVERYWHERE!)

semplice said:
I'm glad you asked the question because I was wondering this as well. Specifically, if you shower with it, do you have to avoid sensitive areas? (My instinct says you wouldn't want to use it EVERYWHERE!)

It really depends on the person. For instance, I'm fine with using salt bars everywhere, although it will sting a little if I have a cut or a scrape anywhere on my skin (but I find the salt causes those things to heal quicker). On the other hand, my sister (who does a lot of marathon bike riding), finds them uncomfortable to use in her nether regions.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back