What's a salt bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowYellow

Reaction score
I've seen the term used on here a few times but have never heard of a salt bar before.
What is it? :?:

I'm new so don't quote me, but I believe salt bars are made by adding 1 cup of salt (just regular table salt) for each pound of oils in your recipe?

I'm still learning about salt bars too!

There are a lot of posts here on that subject. I think I even posted a tutorial and recipe on how to make salt bars. Do a search for it in the archives.

A salt bar is mainly coconut oil, and a few other high conditioning oils....mainly shea since it has a lot of unsaponifiable value, and castor to help add lather. It is not really 1 cup per pound of oils, not at all. Most soapers use 75 to 100% salt per pound of oils used in the recipe. Most of the time, since a large portion of the oils used is coconut oil, which can be drying over 30%, we take a bigger lye discount. Lots of info and like I say do the search and you'll be reading all night.

That is it in a nut shell. A salt bar doesn't produce big bubbles, as salt kills that action, hence a lot of CO is used. Read, read, read, lots of info on making challenging salt bars.

Paul :wink:

I use 80%. It's a horse of a different color, so to speak. Try it, you might love it. I do.

salt bars

if i may suggest, go to the top right corner of the forum page and click on search. insert "salt bars" or any other topic and it will bring up every post regarding the subject.

this saves me a whole lot of time thumbing thru the 80+ pages in the forum.

Back