What would you use to make cold grey?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christinak

Reaction score
I need this kinda quick...I have black mica and charcoal. If I use just a touch will it be a nice cold gray? Which do you think would be better?

I think you could get a nice grey with the mica, as I am getting closer to grey then black on a lot of my soaps and I use a really light hand with my micas and oxides. I don't know as much about the charcoal, as I have not worked with it yet.

Thanks Badge, you dont think it will look too glitzy do you? Its for a mans soap.

I think the charcoal would work too if you used just a touch.
This is my "man" soap and I used quite a bit, so, it's more black than grey, but if you used less - say 1/4 tsp per lb I bet that would do it.

Testersoap009_zps7d96873f.jpg

Nope, the mica does not look glitzy to me, it does not have a glittery appearance once it is in the soap.

Ok, jeesh I just dont know. It's concrete scented so I need really light cold gray and Im using poppy seeds for the grit.

I think I will start with a tinge of mica and if I dont like it Ill put charcoal in! :)

Well I have goatmilk and aloe in here which lightened the base a bit, then I added (I don't measure) charcoal on the end of a skewer (like 4 times) and black mica (like 3 times)....the results are EXACTLY what I wanted to cross your fingers that it doesn't morph too much.

cement.jpg

I'm so used to seeing edible-looking soaps here, this one makes my teeth hurt. I'm definitely thinking concrete. Looks like it turned out! What are the black speckles? Poppy seeds?

Yep, those are poppy seeds. I also put some raw suger on the top. Looks like grit, it turned out perfect! Smells like the real deal, too!

Back