What would combine well with Anise?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, Gang. I made a batch of soap today and scented it with Anise EO. I added just a little bit of Ceder EO as a fixative. I wanted to add another scent but couldn't decide on a complimentary scent so I just used the Anise EO. I usually make my soaps with two essential oils but with Anise I came up with a blank. What have you successfully combined with Anise in your soaps? Or do you have any suggestions?

Jaaret said:
Hi, Gang. I made a batch of soap today and scented it with Anise EO. I added just a little bit of Ceder EO as a fixative. I wanted to add another scent but couldn't decide on a complimentary scent so I just used the Anise EO. I usually make my soaps with two essential oils but with Anise I came up with a blank. What have you successfully combined with Anise in your soaps? Or do you have any suggestions?

This is the link I use to get inspiration for EO blends.

http://www.rainbowmeadow.com/infocenter ... select.php

You do not really need a fixative with Anise as it has no trouble sticking. In fact, it pretty much overpowers just about anything else, so best used sparingly. I combine it with Mandarin or Tangerine and use cornstarch at 1 TBS PPO to make the citrus stick. Without the cornstarch the citrus fades really fast and all you are left with is the Anise.

Healinya said:
Try it with basil - it's fantastic!

Sounds delicious, Healinya.

How many parts ?

Sweet Basil EO is so expensive here, but I might be tempted to make a small batch for own use. I LOVE Basil.

I use three parts basil to one part anise - but that's my preference, I've made a few test batches and people loved all the combinations. I use .4 tsp ppo total and find the scent stays strong.

anise and spearmint Eos 1:1, smells like Blackjack gum to me and I love it. Also tried a lavender anise blend (3 parts lavender to 1 part anise) and I personally hated it but a lot of my soap guinea pigs adored it.

Back