What to use to get a dark maroon/cranberry colour?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I'm starting on XMas soaps and have a cranberry FO that I'd like to use. I would like the soap to be a dark maroon-ish colour with a gold mica swirl.

Any suggestions on how to get the dark maroon colour? I have Lab Colours but they're very bright. I also have some Alkanet powder, but last time I used it, it didn't colour the batch maroon like it said it would - I think I was supposed to infuse it, but am not sure what the best way to do that would be.

Ideas???? TIA!

Oh!! I know. Use Red (blue shade) oxide from canwax. I used it and got a nice maroon colour at .5 tsp ppo

i agree with kitn, in that red plus some blue and black to darken.

i just did some soap with green oxide tonight, and it was pretty dark green. we'll see tomorrow how green it is. do they make a red oxide?

I got a brick color with 1 T./ppo yellow dock root powder... maybe that mixed with some other red coloring...

I can tell you what NOT to use...LOL
I made up a batch of Cranberry today and really usually stay away from color since I've had bad luck so far, I usually just let the soap "do it's thing"

Many of my fo's have vanilla in them so they are all some shade or other of brown...LOL .....but today I thought, ok I'll try again and used some burgundy oxide from BB and my soap turned a weird pinky-blue color, very ugly:(

But it smells Wonderful!

TheSoapyEwe said:
I made up a batch of Cranberry today and really usually stay away from color since I've had bad luck so far, I usually just let the soap "do it's thing"

Many of my fo's have vanilla in them so they are all some shade or other of brown...LOL .....but today I thought, ok I'll try again and used some burgundy oxide from BB and my soap turned a weird pinky-blue color, very ugly:(

But it smells Wonderful!

if you just made it today, it'll probably change.

kittywings said:
TheSoapyEwe said:

But it smells Wonderful!

if you just made it today, it'll probably change.

I hope so because it's really no where close to the cranberry I was hoping for.

According to some soapers on another forum, Brambleberry's merlot mica mixed with a little um violet will give you a nice burgundy color.

IrishLass :)

I know the answer to this question :lol: I just did two batches and got a perfect red brick/ dusty rose and a light cranberry (however they were both hp, lab color added near end of cook)

Brambleberry lab color azzure and berry red

Latest posts

Back