What to mix micas and oxides in?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misslavey

Reaction score
I haven't quite come across any good solid search results as to what you mix colorants with to put into MP soap. My first time doing MP, i just put straight powder into the soap, and it dissolved and dispersed very easily.. I wasn't so lucky the next time because I ended up with little bits that clumped, although they were evenly spread out so they ended up almost looking like sparkles put there on purpose. After sitting for a couple days, it looked like those spots began to kind of disperse in the soap, as they got lighter in color and wider. I remelted the soaps thinking the last bits of powder would finally work they way in, but they didn't. Even a stick blender couldn't save me. Last night I tried mixing the powder in with a little bit of castor oil, then putting it into the soap and that worked quite well, but I was extremely worried I'd end up with an oily feeling soap, so I only used a small amount, and that resulted in me only achieving half the darkness of color I wanted. Any suggestions?

You can just mix it in with the regular amount of FO you would use, and then pour the FO into the batch. :) That way, you aren't adding any extra oils.

I would, but I make very small batches of MP at a time, maybe 4-6 bars at a time, mostly because I'm just trying out different colors and scents

Even if you're only doing one bar at a time, you can still mix it with the FO as you would only be using a tiny amount of Mica :) Just mix it in the measuring cup you use or spoon etc

I mix my micas with a little alcohol then stir and add. it dissolves nicely. My oxides(which i use rarely...love Mica) I mix with a small 4oz batch of clear melt & pour base...stir a good amount in it them mix really well and pour into a mold. Then when it dries I use it as a color block. I will cut a piece of the color block and add it to my large batch of M&P base and stir. If I think the color should be darker I will add another piece from my color block.

Again...I love mica with M&P and it dissolves all the way with alcohol.

Good luck!

If I'm using oxides I usually mix them with a drop of water to dissolve them then add it to my mixture. Apparently the excess water evolves and leaves the colour intact. I can't say I've ever had any problems with this method so you could give it a go :)

Mixing Micas and Oxides

I mix my mica up with glycerin and my oxides with a bit of oil or melted butter. If I'm not adding glycerin or oxides, then I agree that mixing with the fragrances generally works very well.

Great mica and oxide mixing videos

these are the most comprehensive i've come across so far...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx2UB1ggUBE&feature=BFa&list=ULfSEbmwT_qwY&lf=mfu_in_order[/ame]

and...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSEbmwT_qwY&feature=BFa&list=ULlx2UB1ggUBE&lf=mfu_in_order[/ame]

and they have lots more as you'll see when you click on the first link.

Good luck :)[/url]

Latest posts

Back