What to do with my soap slivers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grambow

Reaction score
Hi! I am not a soap maker but a homemade soap customer. I am wondering what I can do with my soap slivers...the leftover parts of larger bars. Is there a way to melt them down and combine many small bars into one normal size bar? With regular commercial soap, I would just throw the slivers away. But with homemade soap...I want to get as much use as possible. Thanks!

1) Throw them in a soap sack and wash with that. (a washcloth like bag with a drawstring that can be washed)

2) grate them up add a smidge of boiling or very hot water, mash it up and roll it into a ball! Walla! Soap balls!! I make them all the time out of shavings from trimming my CP bars before selling. I add about 2-3tsp. of boiling water to 2oz. of soap shreds.

You could just squish them all together, I know that there is a gadget that you can buy to do it, but don't know what it's called...a Soap Squisher maybe?
As long as the soap is just for your own personal use I see no problem doing this. Of course it couldn't be sold tho.
You could just sew up a wash cloth leaving one end open to add the soap into and use that. You'll get lots of lather too.

Oh, and thanks for supporting Handmade soap. Do you buy from one seller all the time or do you try lots of different sellers? Where do you buy your soap from?
We're all soapmakers here, it's nice to have someone from the opposite side of the coin!

grambow said:
Hi! I am not a soap maker but a homemade soap customer. I am wondering what I can do with my soap slivers...the leftover parts of larger bars. Is there a way to melt them down and combine many small bars into one normal size bar? With regular commercial soap, I would just throw the slivers away. But with homemade soap...I want to get as much use as possible. Thanks!

Very cool to have you! You can get a "soap saver" pouch. Like the above suggested. Alot of people knit/crochet them or you can find some already made. If you sew, you can sew a pouch out of a washrag and put them inside. You'll get great lather if you do that.

I grate my scraps and use them as laundry soap. My washing machine has
a cup-shaped hole in the top of the spindle for fabric softener. It adds it
to the load when the tub spins. In there I put vinegar to lessen the soap
scum. I also add some 20 mule-team Borax to the load. My clothes come
out really soft!

I take the moistened and softened sliver and press it firmly onto a moistened new bar, leave it in the soap dish, and when I come back for my next shower it is melded together like NO commercial soap would do. FWIW

I keep all of my soap slivers in individual boxes, and when craft sales are in full force I package them in 1 lb. cello bags, tie with a ribbon and label them as "Soap Bums". I sell these for about $8.00/bag, and they are gone in no time for teacher gifts, stocking stuffers, etc. :lol:

my sis in law uses the mesh netting for all her scraps, I have never tried it. My hubby just takes the sliver and squishes to his next bar! whatever works.

looks like you already had some good advice regarding the use of your soap slivers.

As a seller, I make samples from my soap slivers. I make sure that I cut my ends off at least 1mm thick. Then I use cookie cutters to cut out neat little shapes and I keep them in a bowl when I sell at markets as a freebie for people. I market them as single-use-soaps to keep in your handbag or use as drawer fresheners. I don't actually wrap them and I do throw all fragrances together into the bowl. People love them and I had several sales from them.

Back