What to cure your soaps on?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tropical10

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm super new and only started making soaps last week. I've made 5 batches so far and 2 of them are curing on some cooling racks from the kitchen. The rest are on paper towels and paper plates.

I've heard that you want to cure them on stainless steel, but what else can you dry them on? I'm planning on rotating them every 3 days, or so (unless, I hear different).

Is chrome a no-no?, I thought I heard that on here, but when I looked online, all the stainless steel racks seemed like they were chrome plated.

Are certain materials more likely to cause DOS?

Can you use cardboard, fabric, etc? Maybe it's easier to ask which things should you Not cure your soap on?

Thanks in advance,
Susan J.

I put mine on various trays lined with thin wax paper. I think chrome is okay - but racks do not contribute to DOS, as far as I know. That's an oil issue, or heat issue.
Welcome to the addiction, by the way!! We want to see pictures!! :)

How about a plant "flat"? They are plastic and air flows through them.

Since I am more of a hobby soaper, I don't need a big area to cure my soaps. I bought one of those wooden dish drainers. I holds quite a few bars of soap and works great.

I use the stackable cooling racks from Pampered Chef (I have a quite a few of them). They are silicone-coated metal.

I've read that curing soap directly on certain metals such as chrome and galvanized should be avoided since they seem to react badly with the soap by causing discoloration. I've read that stainless seems to be fine, though. If you are in doubt about what type of metal racks you have, you can always line them with parchment paper or cloth or plastic craft mesh or something like that so that your soap is not directly touching the metal. Lots of soapers have good success doing that.

IrishLass :)

My soap cures for a week on stainless trays covered with wax paper and paper towels. Next they're moved into a cool dark cupboard where the shelves are lined with cardboard and paper towels. After that it's into cardboard boxes that are lined with paper towels.

I have many cardboard boxes ... and write the soaps name batch and date soaped on each box. These batches match with the information in my 'soaping book'.

I'd love a room with shelving to keep my soaps on ... but that's not going to happen. The other thing I've seen on ebay that interests me is wooden shoe racks ... ?

It's nice to hear that other people are also using parchment and wax paper.

This may sound weird but it worked for me. I was gathering up stuff for the recycle bin and had two huge Cheerios boxes. (We go through a lot of cereal.) I wondered how they would work as liners. So, I pulled the boxes apart, laid them with the inside up and put a couple of batches on them. They worked fine as liners. They didn't stick to the soap or cause any problems. This is just a suggestion if you're desperate for something to put your soaps on. :D

Drying soap

I have a drying wrack made out of thin slats of wood, I also use plastic bins which are slotted. They are quit large and I paid $1 each for them at the dollar store.The both work well.

I use the big plastic trays that the bread companies use to deliver bread to grocery stores. I saw them in the back of the store by the dumpster and asked the manager if I could have them. I think he was so interested in my soap making he would have given me brand new ones.

I have a big steel I bought from Ikea. I have never had any problem with the soap reacting on it. However, I had run out of room so I used a rack like you would cool cookies on and after 4 weeks when I checked on my beautiful soap there were yellow rusty looking lines on the bottom of it where it reacted with the rungs from the rack. I was so peeved. I had to cut a sliver off all the bottoms! I heard you can use plastic needlepoint canvas, it won't react with the soap and it lets the soap breathe. I've even seen needlepoint canvas at thrift stores for pennies. Next time if I ever have to use that rack I will definitely use the plastic canvas!

AZ Soaper said:
I use the big plastic trays that the bread companies use to deliver bread to grocery stores. I saw them in the back of the store by the dumpster and asked the manager if I could have them. I think he was so interested in my soap making he would have given me brand new ones.

I wish I could find some of these!

Fullamoon you took the words right out of my mouth! I use the flats for plants as well. You can fit a ton on soap on one and they stack nicely when not in use. I was using cardboard boxes sometimes and just flipping them in the morn and nite. talk about a PITA. :? Plant flats are wonderful!

There's no need to spend money on drying racks when you can find them for free (and spend that money on soap supplies). Go to your local grocery store and talk to the produce manager. Ask for the hydroponic tomato boxes (cardboard trays) or strawberry boxes. Both have built up corners so there is good air circulation between the boxes.

I've been using theses for many, many years. I line them with paper towels and then a layer of paper towels on top. I can get at least 46 large bars of soap (on their sides) in each tray.

Just be nice to your produce manager and keep him/her supplied with soap and you will have all the free boxes you'll ever need.

dottie

Latest posts

Back