WHAT THE HECK? -LYE?!?!?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupertspal42

Reaction score
FOOD GRADE LYE?!?! It's used for pretzels!??!?! I thought this stuff was dangerous!!!!!! BUT WE EAT IT?!?!?!? EXXPPLLAAIINNNN!!!!! :?

You made me look :D . I am kinda shocked , food grade lye , wear protection and goggles? I can't find an explanation though, why it is used in pretzels . Weird!!

Kitn

in pretzels and bagels it give the outside that shiny look and modifies the flavor a bit.

it's used in a ton of things as a pH modifier as well.

I guess the chemicals in it is what does it.. i'm assuming the lye is one of the special chems that just does it for the food like vinager (is that how you spell that..?)

It sure doesn't make me want to eat pretzels or bagels anymore. LOL
Of course, if we knew EVERYTHING that's put into our foods before they're packaged...we'd probably die of shock. ;0)

Oh I know right.. my mom is a hippie so i've been brought up on a lot of organic and natural food but I still love my soft pretzels n' all mmm

Me too. Haven't had any in a while. But they are soo good, salted and with cheddar cheese dip on the side. YUM!

Oh I know, i've been overseas for the past year and will be returning home and i told my mom to get the kitchen ready because i'm going to eat her outta house and home!!!

Latest posts

Back