What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note to self: work/life balance much?

😂 yeah....balance....doesn't seem like I have much when it comes to doing things I love. But then again, if I love it, is it a negative, even if I'm working a stupid amount of hours a day?

My 'job' is currently funding what I love to do, so gotta squeeze that in too :) until what I love to do funds everything 😁

Finished cutting & polishing that 16 pound goats milk batch with purple Brazilian clay today & decided I like it the way it is, with a plain old textured top, and with no piped embellishments. Not actually sure how I feel about the textured tops as I get tired of seeing them everywhere with soaps in various stores. But I did it because I know that at least one of my retailers will love it.

Kinda relieving that I didn't end up piping. The batch turned out beautifully, very firm 24 hours later, no overheating, no weird gelling issues or cracking, despite using my electric blanket for a few hours to get it up to temperature so I was sure it would gel to get good color from that clay, and then insulating it overnight. I was sorta looking forward to fancy-ing it up a bit but oh well, best to leave well enough alone this time, I think :) Instead, I have other uses for my creative time floating around in my head.

Can anyone recommend a good quality piping set that they have tried themselves & love? I bought one that ended up being kinda crappy, so would like to have a decent set for the occasions I feel like getting fancy 😁 Something with reusable bags so I'm not tossing a pile of plastic out, similar to a cloth bag, and some good multipurpose tips. Please & thank you 🙏 ❤️

Time to watch some soaping videos, and maybe even some Perry Mason or other ancient shows which were before my time. I miss having a TV maybe once a year, if that :rolleyes:

I made a couple of batches of what I call my box soaps (I use the rectangular bar molds and they go in kraft paper boxes) a couple of days ago. It's been a really crappy year so far for markets so I have a lot of soap on hand still and don't need to make much more. I'm hoping it will pick up in the fall but I'm not optimistic.

I made a couple of batches of what I call my box soaps (I use the rectangular bar molds and they go in kraft paper boxes) a couple of days ago. It's been a really crappy year so far for markets so I have a lot of soap on hand still and don't need to make much more. I'm hoping it will pick up in the fall but I'm not optimistic.
I'm in the same boat. I'm starting to question whether I want to keep going or not. With markets, I mean.

I'm in the same boat. I'm starting to question whether I want to keep going or not. With markets, I mean.
I'm guessing it's just the economy now. With inflation making so many things more expensive, people are cutting back on "extras" like handmade soap that's typically more expensive than what you can buy at the store. I have a lot of loyal local customers and so far in the Spring, none of them came out to our regular monthly markets. We moved to a pavillion just across from where we normally held the markets (in an open in a grassy area) and I thought that would give us a boost because now we were covered and it was cooler but the turnout was very disappointing for the four shows we did. We normally do better in the Fall/Winter so I'll keep trying. I talked to another vendor (sells vintage clothes) at our last market in June and she said she had done another event just a week earlier in Austin and she only sold a couple of things.

I'm guessing it's just the economy now. With inflation making so many things more expensive, people are cutting back on "extras" like handmade soap that's typically more expensive than what you can buy at the store. I have a lot of loyal local customers and so far in the Spring, none of them came out to our regular monthly markets. We moved to a pavillion just across from where we normally held the markets (in an open in a grassy area) and I thought that would give us a boost because now we were covered and it was cooler but the turnout was very disappointing for the four shows we did. We normally do better in the Fall/Winter so I'll keep trying. I talked to another vendor (sells vintage clothes) at our last market in June and she said she had done another event just a week earlier in Austin and she only sold a couple of things.
I'm experiencing the same thing here. People just aren't buying the way they used to. I've dropped one of my two markets as I didn't even break $100 at the last one. Seeing as it's a 30-min drive each way, plus the cost of the table, it just makes no sense to continue there. Plus, out of 40-50 vendors, there were three other soapmakers. I'll continue for the remainder of the year with my usual market and will then assess what will happen next year. I'd like to keep going but, yeah, the economy is in the gutter at the moment and all the market vendors I've spoken to are feeling it.

That said, some of the things that do sell for me are facial products (serums and face creams); I advertise them as "affordable luxury". (i.e. Vitamin C Serum, Hyaluronic Acid Serum, etc.)

My soapy thing today was to shower with my new peppermint EO @Zany_in_CO Faux Sea Water Castle Soap Recipe that I made it's amazing everything about this soap was wonderful the lather is incredible. I felt super clean yet at the same time my skin feels nice I have dry itchy skin from some soaps so this recipe is perfect for me and I love the peppermint EO I put in it, it leaves a nice little tingle that makes me feel real clean and smelling fresh. I'm also going to cut my soap and post pics on my Gallery some time today when I get a chance. Have a good soapy day.😊

Finished cutting & polishing that 16 pound goats milk batch with purple Brazilian clay today & decided I like it the way it is, with a plain old textured top, and with no piped embellishments. Not actually sure how I feel about the textured tops as I get tired of seeing them everywhere with soaps in various stores. But I did it because I know that at least one of my retailers will love it.

Kinda relieving that I didn't end up piping. The batch turned out beautifully, very firm 24 hours later, no overheating, no weird gelling issues or cracking, despite using my electric blanket for a few hours to get it up to temperature so I was sure it would gel to get good color from that clay, and then insulating it overnight. I was sorta looking forward to fancy-ing it up a bit but oh well, best to leave well enough alone this time, I think :) Instead, I have other uses for my creative time floating around in my head.

Can anyone recommend a good quality piping set that they have tried themselves & love? I bought one that ended up being kinda crappy, so would like to have a decent set for the occasions I feel like getting fancy 😁 Something with reusable bags so I'm not tossing a pile of plastic out, similar to a cloth bag, and some good multipurpose tips. Please & thank you 🙏 ❤️

Time to watch some soaping videos, and maybe even some Perry Mason or other ancient shows which were before my time. I miss having a TV maybe once a year, if that :rolleyes:
I seen silicone piping bags that look really nice on either Amazon or Etsy That would work really nice for soap to clean them out, but I don't know how good they work I haven't tried them and I'm not sure about Which tips are good. I don't have experience with piping yet. 😀

I stayed up late last night to finish my Pink Dragonfruit soap. I originally used the scent for bath bombs but liked it so much, making soap with it was a must

I did a layered soap. Fragrance notes said it accelerates slightly so I did a new batch for each layer to avoid issues. the whitish layer also has poppy seeds to resemble dragonfruit.

Dragonfruit tofront.jpeg
dragonfruit top.jpeg

It's been a really crappy year so far for markets so I have a lot of soap on hand still and don't need to make much more. I'm hoping it will pick up in the fall but I'm not optimistic.
Do you think the weather, specifically, the very high temperatures, has killed the markets? Are people hunkered down in their homes under air conditioning? One of the ironies of a poor economy is that people sometimes splurge on small luxury items to make themselves feel better, so I’m wondering if there are other forces hurting the soap market right now. Has the foot traffic been the same as in years past? Or are fewer people coming out?

I stayed up late last night to finish my Pink Dragonfruit soap. I originally used the scent for bath bombs but liked it so much, making soap with it was a must

I did a layered soap. Fragrance notes said it accelerates slightly so I did a new batch for each layer to avoid issues. the whitish layer also has poppy seeds to resemble dragonfruit.

View attachment 74087View attachment 74088
Oh I'm in love these are heavenly I thought I might mention I just seen a dragon fruit FO the other day I'll try to remember what soap supplier has it and I'll let you know if I can right now I'm on my way out the door so I will try to figure it out when I get home. Nice work!

View attachment 74087View attachment 74088
I have found it, it is Dragon fruit and Pear FO at Candora soap supplier in Canada if you can't buy it hear maybe you could buy it some where else. It might even be good for swirling it says no acceleration no ricing no discoloration no separation. @msunnerstood . 😀

I have found it, it is Dragon fruit and Pear FO at Candora soap supplier in Canada if you can't buy it hear maybe you could buy it some where else. It might even be good for swirling it says no acceleration no ricing no discoloration no separation. @msunnerstood . 😀
Aztec also has one called Dragonfruit Poptail, with is nice.... light and well-behaved.

Do you think the weather, specifically, the very high temperatures, has killed the markets? Are people hunkered down in their homes under air conditioning? One of the ironies of a poor economy is that people sometimes splurge on small luxury items to make themselves feel better, so I’m wondering if there are other forces hurting the soap market right now. Has the foot traffic been the same as in years past? Or are fewer people coming out?
I live in a tourist town; we were even commenting at work today that traffic isn't nearly as heavy as it usually is at this time of year. Even the mall had plenty of parking space today; people just aren't shopping as much as in previous years.

Latest posts

Back