What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shop online most of the time. Perhaps more ppl are just staying home and doing that.
My husband and I have switched to online shopping more over the past 2 years, mostly for convenience. The irony was that covid hit at the same time, actually making harder, but it has leveled out for the most. He has higher levels of social anxiety so we don't do market/ mall shopping very often, but I used to go with girlfriends. Nowadays, we are just too old and tired, and for me, yes, that heat kills the mood 🥵

He has higher levels of social anxiety so we don't do market/ mall shopping very often, but I used to go with girlfriends. Nowadays, we are just too old and tired, and for me, yes, that heat kills the mood
Well, you may as well not bother... I finally went to the mall to buy lingerie. I haven't shopped there in 3 years due to avoiding crowds. What a disappointment. Dillards had what I needed most, but not in my size and color! That never happened before!!! I then spent an hour choosing jammies & nightgowns to try on at home. The fabric on all of them was cheesy, almost see-through and clingy in the wrong way. I returned everything. Found what on needed most at JC Penny's online. Delivery is 4 weeks out. 😳

Well, you may as well not bother... I finally went to the mall to buy lingerie. I haven't shopped there in 3 years due to avoiding crowds. What a disappointment. Dillards had what I needed most, but not in my size and color! That never happened before!!! I then spent an hour choosing jammies & nightgowns to try on at home. The fabric on all of them was cheesy, almost see-through and clingy in the wrong way. I returned everything. Found what on needed most at JC Penny's online. Delivery is 4 weeks out. 😳
I've wondered if I was missing out on the shopping experience nowadays compared to what it used to be ~ now I know 🙁

On Wednesday, I cut mylar to line soap molds, especially the silicone molds. Having been surprised once or twice by a nasty case of silicone rash, I decided to try lining silicone molds with freezer paper. I really liked the result, especially being able to lift soap out of the silicone molds. Unfortunately, the sides of the soap log had some freezer paper buckles in it. I have returned to a previous method of lining molds with No-Melt Mylar Template Plastic for quilt appliqués. I had used this type of mylar before about 20+ years ago, and the only downside was that over time it became brittle. I was able to use my rotary paper cutter to get straight and exact cuts to fit into the molds.
IMG_5205.jpeg

With the mylar lining, soap is easy to get out of silicone molds. If I wanted to save money, I would cut just the bottom piece so the mold would release the soap more easily.
IMG_5209.jpeg

If I get impatient and want to remove the mylar from soap within 24 hours, sometimes sooner, I put the log in the freezer for about a half hour. After I peel the Mylar off, if it was refrigerated or put in the freezer, I cover it in plastic wrap until it comes back to room temperature to prevent condensation on the soap.

I use a bread cutter to smooth the sides if necessary. The soap comes out as a very clean log, and I don’t have to plane any of the bars. Edges remain squared up to work better with a beveler like the one from Wild Plantainica. Here is what I made last night, a loaf of Lavender 40/42. I had to rush and didn’t do the best ITP swirl ever, but my friends will be happy with it. You can see that the loaf sides and top are squared off and smooth.
IMG_5212.jpeg

I’m going to give the bars to my friends early so their house can smell like lavender as the bars cure. I’ll stick labels to the bottom with a “don’t use until” date.

The lavender essential oil is going to fade. I’ve gone through many of the fragrance posts, but have not found information on a lavender FO that would sticks for more than six months. Is there such a thing?

I made my first 100% successful pull-through batch after close to 6 months of failing & learning from each failure. I un-molded both cylindrical molds & cut them last night when I got home, despite them being a bit soft due to the coconut milk. I could not wait, and could not believe my eyes when I cut into them. I bevelled them today after having a fan trained on them all night.

They are absolutely beautiful and the lather is decadent ❤️ ....no better word for it. I adore coconut milk soaps 🥥 I am seriously considering doing nothing but milk soaps at this point.... raw goats milk, coconut milk, raw jersey cow milk, plant-based milks, anything that can be made into a milk, and using locally obtained, animal produced milks as much as possible.

I feel exhausted, officially, although mostly in a good way. Next 16 pound goats milk batch to be made Sunday just because it ain't happening today!

Nap time before I clean up my mess here! o_O It will be an evening of documentaries & chaga 🍄 hot chocolate tonight, curled up under a blanket. Enjoying some cooler days & evenings around here, thankfully!

I made my first 100% successful pull-through batch after close to 6 months of failing & learning from each failure. I un-molded both cylindrical molds & cut them last night when I got home, despite them being a bit soft due to the coconut milk. I could not wait, and could not believe my eyes when I cut into them. I bevelled them today after having a fan trained on them all night.

They are absolutely beautiful and the lather is decadent ❤️ ....no better word for it.
Photos?

More soap ingredients recon ~ was curious about local ethnic grocery markets as a source for milks, oils, butters that might possibly be less adulterated (less preservatives, additives, sweeteners added) than the options on the major grocery shelves 🤷🏼‍♀️
My first stop was going to be a little Mexican grocery next to a little produce market I frequent and I could have sworn there were cars in the lot a week ago but it is an empty store now 😥
Now for more Google searching for other stores. In the meantime, has anyone else had any luck finding quality ingredients at ethnic grocery stores?

has anyone else had any luck finding quality ingredients at ethnic grocery stores?
I buy red palm oil (liquid) at an African market that's a bit of a drive but worth it. Good stuff. Same SAP value as regular palm. Gives an orange to golden glow to soap, depending on how much is used.

More soap ingredients recon ~ was curious about local ethnic grocery markets as a source for milks, oils, butters that might possibly be less adulterated (less preservatives, additives, sweeteners added) than the options on the major grocery shelves 🤷🏼‍♀️
My first stop was going to be a little Mexican grocery next to a little produce market I frequent and I could have sworn there were cars in the lot a week ago but it is an empty store now 😥
Now for more Google searching for other stores. In the meantime, has anyone else had any luck finding quality ingredients at ethnic grocery stores?
I love shopping at ethnic shops! Some of my finds include: Shea butter, red Pam oil and African black soap from African markets. White poppy seeds from Arabic, and my local Mexican grocers have butcher counters (rare in my neighborhood), so I can get raw beef tallow from them :)

Made soap today for the first since April. I felt so out of practice that I was nervous to try! All went well, and I've already cut it, around 5 hours later 🤫 Despite a few air bubbles and some soda ash, I'm relieved to find that it turned out nice. The fragrance is lilac.
View attachment 74114
Gorgeous!

They are absolutely beautiful and the lather is decadent ❤️ ....no better word for it. I adore coconut milk soaps 🥥 I am seriously considering doing nothing but milk soaps at this point.... raw goats milk, coconut milk, raw jersey cow milk, plant-based milks, anything that can be made into a milk, and using locally obtained, animal produced milks as much as possible.

I feel exhausted, officially, although mostly in a good way. Next 16 pound goats milk batch to be made Sunday just because it ain't happening today!

Nap time before I clean up my mess here! o_O It will be an evening of documentaries & chaga 🍄 hot chocolate tonight, curled up under a blanket. Enjoying some cooler days & evenings around here, thankfully!
Glad you have a successful batch!!! Will you be posting pictures? I have been shopping on line for a pull through and cylinders as I love the look of kaleidoscope bars. Do you have any recommendations?

Made soap today for the first since April. I felt so out of practice that I was nervous to try! All went well, and I've already cut it, around 5 hours later 🤫 Despite a few air bubbles and some soda ash, I'm relieved to find that it turned out nice. The fragrance is lilac.
View attachment 74114
Nice??? That’s beautiful! 😍

View attachment 74114
B E A… utiful! 🥰

I love shopping at ethnic shops! Some of my finds include: Shea butter, red Pam oil and African black soap from African markets. White poppy seeds from Arabic, and my local Mexican grocers have butcher counters (rare in my neighborhood), so I can get raw beef tallow from them :)
I was wondering about the butcher counters ~ they aren't specifically advertised as such, but I do see "deli section, with fresh cut meats" so I was wondering 🤔🤔🤔

View attachment 74114
That looks so bougie! I bet it smells delightful! Love the golden mica line 🥰

Latest posts

Back