What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I masterbatched today with the full intention of making a batch of soap. However, my other obsession -- gardening -- occupied my day now that Spring has FINALLY sprung in the hinterlands here.

Wow, there is so much in this post! Thank you. The cultural reference around pork was fascinating. My parents were children of the Great Depression and I know it had a generational effect (tin foil and bread bags were used until they fell apart). I did not start soaping until after my grandparents died and I would have loved to talk to them about their homemade soap. My dad said his mother's homemade soap was pretty harsh and caustic. They couldn't afford to buy shampoo either and used dish soap or soap soap.

I do treasure every minute with my dad, I've totally let go of the fact that he doesn't use my soap. Life's too short. Thanks for posting, I appreciate it!

I've never used glycerin so can't be of much help, sorry. My scale only goes to whole grams. I round down to the nearest gram if it calls for 0.1 to 0.4 and round up if it calls for 0.5 to 0.9. Grams are so small, don't worry about it.

Also, if I might comment on your castor oil. I use 4-6%. Higher amounts can lead to a softer soap. Have you had success with 10%? Good luck.
This will be my first shaving soap and I still haven't added my dual lye to the melted oils yet because my son asked me to watch my favorite series installment with him. In the interim the oils overheated and I'm now waiting for them to cool down. The lye is now too cold. 😐 I don't regret it. Whatever happens, a sticky soap will be a prize!
Thanks for the reassurance on the rounding of the grams. It's what I've been doing all along with my regular soaping and haven't had an issue. But shaving soap is a new thing and I didn't want to put my foot into the ditch, so to speak.
I'll post how this batch goes.

I would look at the shave soap recipes posted by @Professor Bernardo and @Johnez. Some good stuff there.
Thank you! They were inspiring, I appreciated the morale boosting! I finally got my shave soaps done and it was a surprisingly good experience.
Thank you, @AliOop and @Zing for the encouragement!

Last edited:
Sunday was a packed soap day! I whipped up my tap vs. distilled batch and did my soap challenge club oasis swirl loaf… which was harder than I thought! My dividers failed and my insistance at having scented soap backfired (ricing, acceleration), so we’ll see if the swirl even worked. Photos of both batches will be posted in the gallery on unmold/cut day.

I've not made soap in a long while until the last batch I made that was regular soap. Like the break in a dam, it gave me the impetus to tackle a shaving soap that's been on my to-do list since last Summer. So after all the ingredients and tools had finally materialized, I made it last night and, though it was a bit nerve-wracking at times, it went amazingly well for my first time!
I used @songwind's basic recipe but I added 2 more oils/fats after reading/viewing a multitude of sources. I used cocoa butter for the conditioning and castor oil for the creaminess and lather stability.
Finally, something interesting happened while I crafted this shaving soap. I never came across anyone that had a BIG gap between the temperature of their oils/fats and their lye. And I hadn't foreseen that I'd have one. Until I did. And I tried looking for anyone who'd safely warmed up their lye without having it explode in their microwave, or melt their container in it, or doing the same on their stovetop. So I waited until my oils/fats were as cool as I could stand it because it was getting late and colder in the open garage. When the oils were at about 150F or so (they'd overheated some bcs my son had wanted to watch a series we both followed) I started pouring the completely cooled lye in tiny amounts. It became quite clear (NOT the oils. OHMYGOSH, the oils were NOT!) that I wasn't going to have a volcano but instant soap instead. So in those tiny amounts I stirred and managed to get the applesauce consistency you get AFTER you bring lye and oils to trace with your SB. I went through the entire lye addition to the end without having to use my SB.
@Zing About the castor oil: I added it at 10% to my recipe as intended and my pucks were SOLID. In all, the final batter performed like molding clay. I was very pleasantly surprised. And it stayed that way all the way to the last (18th) single silicon individual mold I'd bought for the purpose.
My recipe is here: https://www.soapmakingfriend.com/recipes/edit/61204 (I can't seem to leave the edit mode of my recipe, so please let me know if you can't see it?)

I made two batches of soap. My husband was out of his favorite Irish spring, so I made a loaf of that, and I made a small batch of deer tallow soap. The first batch went smoothly. The second batch went from soap batter to peanut butter consistency seconds after the addition of the FO. I hope the bubbles aren't too bad...

Cleaning before she comes is very selfish of you! You are robbing her of her chance to feel superior and showing you how to do it right.
This worked on my ex MIL until she caught on...
I... am learning from a master 🤯

My Chief Packaging Officer received a shipment today: my first time ordering a fragrance bigger than 16 oz. I. Can't. Believe. I'm. Ordering. Gallons. Now. (Not the only thing in the order, but I'm still trying to get used to the idea!) I might not have room for actual food in my apartment sized fridge anymore 😂
8B62D850-A58A-4ABA-886C-08D15928B65E.jpeg

Finished putting together a 2lb loaf mold today. The semester ended last Friday, but managed to cut out 3 loaf molds and 2 slab molds (and drying rack shelves) before losing sculpture shop access for the summer. Shop access really is the gift that keeps on giving.
94DC4A24-B008-402A-910F-FCF1FED93E5F.jpeg

My recipe is here: https://www.soapmakingfriend.com/recipes/edit/61204 (I can't seem to leave the edit mode of my recipe, so please let me know if you can't see it?)
I've always wondered what happens if there's a big gap in your temps. Glad it turned out, but that sounds stressful!

I get "Page Not Found" when I try to use your link...I'd be really curious to see your recipe! I've wanted to try making shave soap for awhile

In soap makers friend would elk tallow be the same as deer tallow?
That's what @lsg advises here: I have elk and deer tallow now!!!

Looks like the sap value for deer tallow is 195, goat tallow is 195, beef tallow is 196... So hoofed herbivore tallow looks pretty interchangeable on sap calculators.

I had a happy accident when I cut my loaf today. I’m just awful when it comes to lining my molds with paper, and it showed this time. However, I didn’t really mind it. The wrinkles in the paper gave it a bit of a fun textured look on the sides, almost like it was intentional. It looks a bit odd in

Simple remedy: Post pics in the Photo Gallery, where they belong, as Relle mentioned, and where ALL members can see them, and are easy to access for future reference. THEN post a link here. :nodding:
That way nobody misses out... like me, for one. ;)

I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade here, but If t'were up to me, I would close this thread so everyone would have to use the Forum for it's intended purpose -- i.e. -- posting questions (or whatever) in the appropriate section where all members can see it and can contribute if they so desire.

As it is, pictures are posted, questions are asked and answered, all to a limited audience. That info gets buried as soon as the next subject takes over the discussion. :rolleyes:

Once we get back to properly using the Forum format, then i would open the What Soapy Thing... again for its intended purpose -- simply stating what soapy thing you've been up to. It's easy enough to post a link to whatever you want to share -- a recipe, a colorant, a fragrance, a tip, a video, etc, if needed.

But that's just me. I'm at that age where I like to put things where I can find them again when I need them. 😁

Thank you Zany! You are (a) the source of Soapmaking Forum Etiquette and (b) The Emoji Queen!:dance:

I gave a bar of soap to my PT. Yes, I had another hand surgery last week & seeing PT again, well, actually I think it is technically OT when for the hand. Anyway, it's the pink ribbon Castile in this link to my media
album: Link

Well, that doesn't work.... I will have to troubleshoot & figure out how I can create a link without actually posting an image!

Links cannot be any of the code on the image page within the album, but should be the URL from my browser bar when open to that image. Here is the correct LINK. As I said, it's the pink ribbon pour soap (bottom middle) made just shy of 6 years ago now. Dual Lye Castile. It looks like the Ribbon Pour, but that challenge did not take place until September 2016 & I made those soaps in June 2016. I actually do not remember how it came to look like that, but I have always liked how they look.

Last edited:
I gave a bar of soap to my PT. Yes, I had another hand surgery last week & seeing PT again, well, actually I think it is technically OT when for the hand. Anyway, it's the pink ribbon Castile in this link to my media

Well, that doesn't work.... I will have to troubleshoot & figure out how I can create a link without actually posting an image!
Link seems broken! I'd love to see your pic.

Links cannot be any of the code on the image page within the album, but should be the URL from my browser bar when open to that image. Here is the correct LINK. As I said, it's the pink ribbon pour soap (bottom middle) made just shy of 6 years ago now. Dual Lye Castile. It looks like the Ribbon Pour, but that challenge did not take place until September 2016 & I made those soaps in June 2016. I actually do not remember how it came to look like that, but I have always liked how they look.

A speedy recovery. I've had two wrist surgeries - no fun.

PS Gorgeous soaps, too!

Today I collected some fragrances from New Directions Aromatics. I changed jobs and pass their location every day to get to work so decided to give them a try. Super excited to test these fragrances so may make a 100% coconut soap tonight.

Lovely soaps Earlene, sorry to hear about your hand again, at least you know what your in for, hope it's getting better.

A speedy recovery. I've had two wrist surgeries - no fun.

PS Gorgeous soaps, too!

Lovely soaps Earlene, sorry to hear about your hand again, at least you know what your in for, hope it's getting better.
Thank you @DianaMoon and @Relle.

Yes, it is healing very well and recovery/usage is improving faster than from the last surgery & subsequent broken metacarpal incident. It's keeping me from making soap, though. Stitches should come out next Wednesday (other than the one that already came out on its own last Saturday). After that, as long as the incision is intact, I'll be able to wear gloves again and may be making soap again by the end of the month.

Most of the bruising has dissipated enough that it no longer looks like a prize fighter's fist, although some of the purple still remains. The swelling is much diminished and the scar looks much less horrendous than it did a week ago (that was because of the swelling and bruising that it looked so bad.)

I like the Physical Therapy place I am going to this time. They have an online app that I can log into to pull up all my prescribed exercises with video as well. My last place did not have that feature, and only printed handouts. Now I have printed handouts AND an app with demo videos at my disposal. Really quite a nice feature to include in the service!

Woe is me... while i would like to participate in discussing what you all are posting here, I don't often drop in and when I do I stop myself from commenting. JMHO, this thread is long enough without adding to it by adding to the discussion.

For example, this post.

Not to discourage discussion, not at all, but to encourage discussion where ALL members can benefit and participate, simply post a subject in the appropriate forum for all to see, then report "What Soapy Thing..." you did and share a link to the discussion here.

An excellent example of how it's done is @DianaMoon 's recent post here.

An excellent example of how this thread is supposed to work is @Catscankim 's recent post here.
I stand reprimanded, but it does relate to What Soapy Thing as giving soap to someone was the intended topic. The other part was an 'aside' which also affects my current ability to make soap. And the information about the link (edited in later) was also pertinent because it didn't work the first few tries.

And Relle has not reprimanded me, so I am not sure the linked post was wrongly placed. It was one post instead of 3, which I could have done, but I think is offputting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back