What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a relatively easy swirl. Trickiest part for me was getting it to a medium trace so the colors could layer and then working real fast because it didn't take long after that to get thicker and thicker.

I watched some YT videos to learn it. This one from the Soap Guild showed it well:

I wasn't going to do a soapy thing tonight, but you just made me start making soap tonight with this! Your soap is absolutely lovely. I need to try this. Lye is cooling as we speak, so to speak.

edit: yup, just did that. super hyper speed soap making LOL. I think it is going to be pretty. Will show the cut tomorrow.

Last edited:
That's a spectacularly beautiful spoon swirl. And you say it was your first one? Impressive! My first one looked like lady camouflage, but it smelled great, so I was happy. But your first try is gorgeous.

P.S. @TashaBird, I can't see your video either. It says it is not supported and there is no visible (to me) external link to copy and find it in my browser.
Thanks!
I actually have plans to make a cammoflage soap soon!

Yesterday I completely mega batched 15 batches of soap! Whew, it was exhausting!
8 pull throughs, 5 7.5lb loaves, and 2 batches for soap dough.
Changed my soap dough a bit because my last batch was SO hard that it was no fun to work with, and I broke one of my fave extruder discs.
Today I’m going to put them all away, up out of my work space. Make soap dough, and hopefully sort through all my old bits of soap dough.
I’m finally getting to go to see my family after a year and a half! (I usually see them 3 times a year.) I’m hoping to have some soap dough to play with with my gbabies.
Edit: Also, my master batching oils experiment is going well so far. It seems to be staying at a very soft texture. I’ve got it in glass to see how much it separates over the next few days (maybe weeks). If it stays runny I could master batch in a 5gl bucket with a spout at the bottom. That would be SO awesome!!!

Attachments

• 40958E8B-BA6B-467A-85F2-7E5E9BC86F62.jpeg
    40958E8B-BA6B-467A-85F2-7E5E9BC86F62.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 16
I recently read a post referencing a "spoon swirl" and decided to give it a try. Just cut it a few minutes ago and was happily surprised. I'll definitely be doing this one again! It's scented with 75% lavender EO and 25% sweet orange EO (because I ran out of lavender). I'm thinking of calling it Sunkist Lavender.

View attachment 57395
Wow' so pretty' I bet it smells Fantastic.

It's a relatively easy swirl. Trickiest part for me was getting it to a medium trace so the colors could layer and then working real fast because it didn't take long after that to get thicker and thicker.

I watched some YT videos to learn it. This one from the Soap Guild showed it well:

Gotta try this' Thx for sharing 🤗🧼💫

Yesterday I made a turmeric and sandalwood soap, and cut it today. I think I need to swirl at a much lighter trace as it thickens way too much to do what I'm aiming for. And the turmeric didn't stay as vibrant as I expected.

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_180438453.jpg
    IMG_20210518_180438453.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210519_095047641_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210519_095047641_HDR.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 31
@MrsZ That's a wonderful white, is it natural or did you add TD? And I like how “subtle” the swirl is. Let's hope it keeps its colour (unlike your previous turmeric oops).
Lol, I hope it does too. I have since switched to a fresh jar of turmeric and it seems to be working well. I found a jar of oil I had used the previous turmeric to infuse, and it had no color either.

The white is natural. :)

Yesterday I completely mega batched 15 batches of soap! Whew, it was exhausting!
8 pull throughs, 5 7.5lb loaves, and 2 batches for soap dough.
Changed my soap dough a bit because my last batch was SO hard that it was no fun to work with, and I broke one of my fave extruder discs.
Today I’m going to put them all away, up out of my work space. Make soap dough, and hopefully sort through all my old bits of soap dough.
I’m finally getting to go to see my family after a year and a half! (I usually see them 3 times a year.) I’m hoping to have some soap dough to play with with my gbabies.
Edit: Also, my master batching oils experiment is going well so far. It seems to be staying at a very soft texture. I’ve got it in glass to see how much it separates over the next few days (maybe weeks). If it stays runny I could master batch in a 5gl bucket with a spout at the bottom. That would be SO awesome!!!
Wow you've been busy... 🤗🌻🎶

Does thinking about doing the dishes from a partial failed experiment yesterday count?
You had to mention dishes... Dangit. I forgot I still have dishes from over a week ago to do... and my husband wants to brew beer this weekend, so I'll need to have our shared "suds" sink cleaned out.

I broke my foot on Sunday, and today will be the first day that I haven't had to do any running around after work on it. I'm hoping that means this evening I will be comfortable enough to work on some messes going on in the soap dungeon...
1. Finish packaging five batches of soap. I packaged enough on Saturday to take to the Sunday market, but the rest need to be done.
2. Putting away stuff from Sunday's market. [I broke my foot in the process of unloading from the market, so it was just thrown into the soap dungeon before we left for urgent care.]
3. Apparently I need to do some dishes... I should be able to sit while doing this.
4. I have everything prepped for an OPW attempt, so I should make that.

More than likely #2 & 3 will get done tonight and will tackle 1 & 4 over the weekend.

I just Re-Ordered Lavender EO' as i'm setting here enjoying Earl Grey tea I thought I'd share a Soap Picture. This was a two part series. I scented it w/ Pink Petals & Smell The Rainbow, Colored dots is charcoal & white is natural soap. It was fun creating this though next time I'll line up my dots straight 😉💫👍🏼

Attachments

• 336DD803-4FCA-47BE-AC2F-2D9AB33A6DB2.jpeg
    336DD803-4FCA-47BE-AC2F-2D9AB33A6DB2.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 21
You had to mention dishes... Dangit. I forgot I still have dishes from over a week ago to do... and my husband wants to brew beer this weekend, so I'll need to have our shared "suds" sink cleaned out.

I broke my foot on Sunday, and today will be the first day that I haven't had to do any running around after work on it. I'm hoping that means this evening I will be comfortable enough to work on some messes going on in the soap dungeon...
1. Finish packaging five batches of soap. I packaged enough on Saturday to take to the Sunday market, but the rest need to be done.
2. Putting away stuff from Sunday's market. [I broke my foot in the process of unloading from the market, so it was just thrown into the soap dungeon before we left for urgent care.]
3. Apparently I need to do some dishes... I should be able to sit while doing this.
4. I have everything prepped for an OPW attempt, so I should make that.

More than likely #2 & 3 will get done tonight and will tackle 1 & 4 over the weekend.

Did you have a cast put on your foot? I hope your healing fast.

Amd Hope your foot heals fast.
Did you have a cast put on your foot? I hope your healing fast.
Just a boot for the time being. I go back in 2 weeks to make sure it's healing correctly. I'm hoping we'll stay with the boot - showering has been enough of a pain trying to keep weight off one foot! Thanks for the wishes. Hopefully my husband has successfully learned how to properly load my car now so that when I open the back hatch, the hand cart does not fall onto my foot.

ETA: Oh! I did do one soapy thing over my lunch break! I unpacked my NG order. I ordered a few samples (mistakenly thought they part of a $2 sample sale, but I was too lazy to cancel my order and reorder), a couple of scents that sell well and I was out of (Cucumber Splash, TPM, and Japanese Cherry Blossom) and two new FO's: Moonlit Path, and Sage & Citrus. I'm really liking the Sage & Citrus, so I may swap that for my OPW.

Here is my spoon swirl. I am so happy that @JoyfulSudz posted her soaps and the video. I love the swirl and it was so easy to do with impressive results. I will be making soap like this often.

Little funny story: I forgot to turn off the oven when it cpop'd. It sat for 9 hours in a 170 degree oven. When I realized it when I woke up today I figured it was ruined. But it seems to be fine. It popped out of the mold easily and it cut divinely LOL. I think it is fine. That's the first time I ever did that.

This was the first time I used CC Black Raspberry Vanilla (as opposed to NS which is what I usually use). I woke up and the whole house smelled like wonderful fragrance. I'm like "ooooooo....this brand is a keeper". Yeah no, it's because it's been baking in the oven all night LOL.

I even double dutied the oven process by putting my cast iron skillet in there after I scrubbed it out to dry off, so it probably got even hotter than 170.

I'm pretty sure it gelled well LOL

spoon swirl.jpg

Here is my spoon swirl. I am so happy that @JoyfulSudz posted her soaps and the video. I love the swirl and it was so easy to do with impressive results. I will be making soap like this often.

Little funny story: I forgot to turn off the oven when it cpop'd. It sat for 9 hours in a 170 degree oven. When I realized it when I woke up today I figured it was ruined. But it seems to be fine. It popped out of the mold easily and it cut divinely LOL. I think it is fine. That's the first time I ever did that.

This was the first time I used CC Black Raspberry Vanilla (as opposed to NS which is what I usually use). I woke up and the whole house smelled like wonderful fragrance. I'm like "ooooooo....this brand is a keeper". Yeah no, it's because it's been baking in the oven all night LOL.

I even double dutied the oven process by putting my cast iron skillet in there after I scrubbed it out to dry off, so it probably got even hotter than 170.

I'm pretty sure it gelled well LOL

View attachment 57444
I did a spoon swirl too today - won't cut until the morning though.

Latest posts

Back