What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to you!

In honour of the day I'm making a green soap with plenty of alcohol! 🤭 (I'm Irish so I'm allowed say things like that 😝)

Remelting my transparent soap to see if it will function as MP soap - it melted at about 55C, with the encouragement of a splash or two of alcohol. Hopefully it will set back up properly and will become part of a Kryptonite soap I'm planning...

View attachment 55210 View attachment 55211 View attachment 55212 View attachment 55213
Oooh Kryptonite soap sounds very interesting! Definitely want to see that. 🦸‍♂️

@TashaBird @Tara_H I guess I should have taken pics before the clean-up, eh? Would have been more entertaining than viewing those innocent soap bars sitting quietly in their molds! 😁

But if you look closely at the pic, you can see LOTS of soap batter smeared between the cavities...I had cleaned up everywhere else, but was too tired at that point to wipe the mold edges. Fortunately, they came out pretty cleanly this morning. The details on most bars were not at all sharp, as to be expected due to the thick trace. So, these will probably become sample bars. They still smell good and are a nice creamy color. :)

Today's soapy thing was to make vegan soaps for my hairdresser who wants to sell them at her station. Great time to make my first ever batch of ZNSC, right? I went with the bastile version with 85% light OO, 15% CO, and 5% castor, plus sorbitol for bubbles.

Used the heat transfer method to melt the CO since I was too impatient to wait for the faux seawater-lye solution to cool. Added the other oils, and batter was at 110 when I had the bright (!) idea to use an accelerating fragrance so that it wouldn't take all that OO so long to trace.

Right. Five seconds in, aaaannd.... pudding! Y'all thought the TCS challenge last month was a messy thing, but tonight's session ended with soap everywhere! There was plopping into the cavity molds with the spatula. There was swirling it around to smoosh the batter into the details (no time to run for the paint brush). There was banging, smacking, and soap slopping all over the mold, the table, the soap bowl, just everywhere! I'm a scraper who hates to waste soap batter, but it was a losing battle.

Anyway, these naughty children were finally tucked into bed for the night. Let's hope they are little angels in the morning.

View attachment 55196

You would never know the hell they put you through...they look so angelic in this picture! 😂

Oooh Kryptonite soap sounds very interesting! Definitely want to see that. 🦸‍♂️
Kryptonite phase 1 complete!
(I feel like a super villain now, cooking this up in my lab)
IMG_20210317_173249.jpg

I decided to try a small batch with the other FO to see if it plays nicely, so I made a few little pucks - but when I added the FO to the batter which was just about at trace, this was the result 🤔
View attachment 55202
Hopefully the picture is clear enough, but it went sort of very slightly grainy. Is this ricing? It doesn't look like pictures of ricing I've seen before but I've never had it happen to me for comparison. I used the SB to try to blend it back in but I'm not sure if it got to being smooth before I had a thick trace again and another emergency plopping.
To me - that looks like your oils got too cool and one of them started to re-solidify? AKA stearic spots?

finally did something soapy. Strawberry peach champagne. I used here comes the bride. sparkle me plenty, and koi from MM, Trial by fire from nurture and some bio chunky glitter I found. cant wait to cut it.

spc.jpg

Just cut my newest soap, Blood Orange and Goji Berry! Happy with it :) Also working on pictures!

View attachment 55179
Beautiful! and one of my favorite scents!

finally did something soapy. Strawberry peach champagne. I used here comes the bride. sparkle me plenty, and koi from MM, Trial by fire from nurture and some bio chunky glitter I found. cant wait to cut it.

View attachment 55223

That looks amazing and good enough to eat! Can’t wait to see the cut!

Well, my evil plan has suffered a setback in the form of lumpy and discoloured soap! 😫 annoyingly the liquid dye which doesn't like to cooperate continued not cooperating... At least I'm narrowing down the problem, seems the yellow is at least partly stable in CP but the blue has vanished entirely.

IMG_20210317_190849.jpg

But I will not be deterred! In true mad scientist fashion I have disassembled it into its component parts and will melt it down (with more alcohol of course) to create something even more powerful!
IMG_20210318_110914.jpg IMG_20210318_111853.jpg

I would just cut my losses, but I don't want to waste the fragrance mix which I created specially, and which my husband assures me is refreshing but slightly sinister. (Lime, grapefruit, lemongrass and just a hint of peppermint)

@AliOop you sure cleaned it up to look like a well behaved scene!

@SoapWitch those are beautiful! I love the layered ones. I’ll have to give it a try some day.

Yesterday I wrapped a bunch of soap. And, I’ve set up my farmers market table in the garage for practice. Also, got some new FO I’m excited to try! Awaken from NS is very lively! I hope it behaves.

Big thank you! I support your desire to stencil on a soap. One of my nemesis has been labeling and wrapping soaps, due to the intricate tops I put on. I find it a please to label and wrap stenciled soaps. And so much faster. ;)

You achieved a really beautiful green! I’m curious (and if you don’t mind sharing) - Did you use infused oil, powder or both?
I used powder, and probably too much of it! But I was excited! After I dumped it all in I thought to myself that maybe I should have dispersed it in some oil, but it actually blended in pretty nicely. It has now turned a very dark olive green all the way through.

Back