What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered my summer body butter supplies then tried out my new Tall & Skinny mold I made over the weekend. With a HP green indego ombre. Very happy with the mold, soaps not my best but ok.
I think they are very beautiful! They seem like a spa! Very relaxing!What is the scent?

Cut both of my challenge soap loaves. Amazingly enough, the first one actually looks better. I split the loaf horizontally and found some nice S curves, plus the colors are much brighter because that loaf gelled. It was in a Nurture TS wood mold with that thick silicone liner.

The second loaf, even though it showed some prominent S curves on top, turned out very pastel-ish and not striking at all. This was the one in the homemade cardboard box mold, and it probably didn't gel because I didn't think to wrap it for about two hours after the pour.

Both of them are super ashy. I'm going to wait a week to clean them up and then figure out which one to enter. Unless I decide to make another one. 😂

So yesterday, I tried a bar from my first batch as a shower bar, and also my newest face soap recipe. I've heard that actual soap doesn't leave you feeling squeaky clean, so I was a little freaked out that mine did. Particularly since if a body wash does that to me, I'll have itchy, dry skin for the next day or more. But my soap didn't do that to me. And my face didn't breakout or turn into an oil slick, so I'm super happy about that.
To be fair, both these soaps are pretty young, so my judging them this early is a little harsh.
That being said, my first soap was formulated as a hand soap, so today I've made a few tweaks for a shower bar recipe. I'm hoping to try it with the monthly challenge, if I get a chance.
Also, after combing through @DKing 's Salt Bar thread, I have borrowed 3 recipes and created another 2 that I want to try, for a total of 5 salt soap batches. I also want to tweak my face soap recipe a smidge and put in only half the Kaolin as last time, and I have also formulated a recipe for the 50%SF Nonsense batch (idea from @SPowers thread).
That brings me to a total of 7 trial size soap batches designed, 1 half batch designed, and then I have an Autumn loaf designed as well.
But I'm still moving and working full time, so planning is all I can do for now. Soon though. Very soon.

Soap making, the hobby where you prep to prep.

Attachments

• 5FFE38C2-25F8-478E-8457-89908B923F09.jpeg
    5FFE38C2-25F8-478E-8457-89908B923F09.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 33
Trying to cut my soap scrapers with no exacto knife. Fun...
I swear anyone who has to carve this stuff out by hand as opposed to 3D printing it—should get a medal 😂 I’ll give myself a nice pat on the back if I can pull this off. I did art and design and I haven’t used this particular skill set in quite a while....

I swear anyone who has to carve this stuff out by hand as opposed to 3D printing it—should get a medal 😂 I’ll give myself a nice pat on the back if I can pull this off. I did art and design and I haven’t used this particular skill set in quite a while....
I cut mine with a box cutter. It was brutal! I’m wondering if I can use my pyrography machine to cut them, if I wear a respirator.

I just made a soap with Vermont Maple (BB, currently unavailable). It the notes I got from it OOB differed from how it smelled in the soap. my only mistake is that I used full water but I'm sure some of it evaporated during cooking.

Most people I know who CPOP turn the oven off as soon as they put the soap in. Some leave the oven light on for an additional small heat source, or to remind them that soap is in the oven so they don’t start preheating it for something else. 😁

Either way, the residual heat is more than enough to gel the soap.
Okay thank you. I am a bit of a greenhorn..

Finished the first round of restocking soaps, which is about where I planned to be for 2020 - although I had planned to have all my soaps done by March 1 and it was June 1... ahem. It still left me with most of the summer free to not have to make soap and start restocking in Aug/Sept, so that part of the plan is working, I'll work on my follow through for 2021. Restocked two CM soaps (The Perfect Man and Cucumber Melon Splash), and two yogurt & honey soaps (Cranberry and Mango Menthol). I'm much happier with the Mango Menthol this go around. The last time I made it I erred too far on the side of caution with the menthol, and ran short of the mango FO. This time I think I hit the right amount of menthol (no tingle but smells of light mint). I might be a fan of this combo now!

I did 2 soap scrapers with an x-acto knife...and bought a 3d printer.

I have a habit of trying to tackle things at an intermediate level when I’m not familiar with it.
I have this same habit! Looking at pics and tutorials of so many awesome projects makes me want to jump in with both feet and work on the advanced level on day #1. I keep telling myself to slow it down and keep it simple to start. Then when I have a few recipes or techniques down pat I can step it up. Never seems to work out like that for me, lol! Problem is I let myself get discouraged when things don't work as planned. 🤷‍♀️

I find a good assembly line very comforting and calming. Yesterday I treated myself to some new plastic containers. Today I prepped basic recipe for 4 batches. And prepped colorants, tools, and EO for a fun pull through tomorrow. The whole production kind of kept me sane. Many of my friends have had mandatory evacuations. Some of my favorite wilderness is burning. The air is bad and there’s soot on everything. It’s a super bummer.
but I’m excited for my next run of soaping!

Attachments

• EE7DC1D9-AA8F-4FD4-868C-08C78312B52C.jpeg
    EE7DC1D9-AA8F-4FD4-868C-08C78312B52C.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 15
  • FA4F1742-9D9E-4294-B6C1-B1A3F2AD8D2F.jpeg
    FA4F1742-9D9E-4294-B6C1-B1A3F2AD8D2F.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 12
Two soaps in a week.. Hurrah! Lol

I was gifted this mold and omg it was a mess molding it! The sides opened up and I think I burned my pinkie finger... Next time I'll be smart and clip both sides from top to bottom.
View attachment 48660
Yeah, I don't know how to smooth the tops of round soap molds lol.

Its a plain soap, a tweak of this one.. Let's see how it goes.
Cut the soap! Yesterday actually, not today lol
IMG_20200820_230349.jpg

First time to use my new cutter too! First time to also use wire, not a blade... And first time my soap all came out the same thickness lol
IMG_20200820_230529.jpg

I love it! They engraved my business name for free too, and that's my handwriting!

Back