What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting my soaps to frenz.

Attachments

• 5479B59C-04EF-4F96-82FC-65EBF34AC8D5.jpeg
    5479B59C-04EF-4F96-82FC-65EBF34AC8D5.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 23
  • D9B12512-319C-4D85-A9B0-546DC0EA26FE.jpeg
    D9B12512-319C-4D85-A9B0-546DC0EA26FE.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 25
  • F4C98EF0-49BA-4A37-86C9-F06F834234E2.jpeg
    F4C98EF0-49BA-4A37-86C9-F06F834234E2.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 27
Made my August SMF Challenge Soap (1st try anyway). I was noting to myself that things were faster and less stressful than they used to be, and realized it was because of working with master-batched lye. Although I love HP, and I also love using the heat transfer method for CP, master-batched lye does save so much time and fussing around by not having to measure out the lye, then mix up the solution under the stove fan, etc. I am going to switch over to a used detergent bottle as soon as this batch gets low enough to fit into it. Right now I'm using a large Tupperware jug-type container, and although I like the volume and the ergonomic handle, the spout has drips after pouring - not ideal for lye solution.

Last edited:
My first batch of Christmas/Winter soaps for the year! They are scented with Frosted Cranberry from WSP and colored with Brick Dust mica from Nurture Soaps. I'll package them in white organza drawstring bags. It was the first time to use my new owl mold and I'm really happy with how they came out. They are about 2oz and are a nice hand soap size.

Attachments

• IMG_9555.JPG
    IMG_9555.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9556.JPG
    IMG_9556.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 22
I love the design! Beautiful beachy soap IMO :)

Today I cut a soap me and hubby made lastnight. I'm really new so I'm still learning. I used CPOP method b/c it was cool in the house and I wanted to be certain it gelled. I think that's the reason for the weird tops and sides (alien brains, maybe). Also it moved slower than I anticipated so the addition of color was a spur of the moment decision and I didn't get the TD mixed well before adding it, so I have powder spots. Live and learn! Anyway, I'm otherwise pleased with my amateur creation.
View attachment 48644View attachment 48645View attachment 48646View attachment 48647
What is the cpop method?

What is the cpop method?
It's Cold Process/Oven Process method. Once I poured my soap into the mold, I put it in my oven at the lowest setting (I have read 170 degrees Fahrenheit is optimal, but mine only goes as low as 180) and leave it for an hour. Then I turned the oven off and left the soap in, in the ambient heat over night. This was my fist try at this method and I believe it got too hot. Of course I opened the door a few times to look at it, letting some heat escape, but I still have a lot to learn and a lot of experimenting to do. It was interesting to try and also ensured that the soap went thru gel, which is what I wanted for this batch. :)

It's Cold Process/Oven Process method. Once I poured my soap into the mold, I put it in my oven at the lowest setting (I have read 170 degrees Fahrenheit is optimal, but mine only goes as low as 180) and leave it for an hour. Then I turned the oven off and left the soap in, in the ambient heat over night. This was my fist try at this method and I believe it got too hot. Of course I opened the door a few times to look at it, letting some heat escape, but I still have a lot to learn and a lot of experimenting to do. It was interesting to try and also ensured that the soap went thru gel, which is what I wanted for this batch. :)
Most people I know who CPOP turn the oven off as soon as they put the soap in. Some leave the oven light on for an additional small heat source, or to remind them that soap is in the oven so they don’t start preheating it for something else. 😁

Either way, the residual heat is more than enough to gel the soap.

Most people I know who CPOP turn the oven off as soon as they put the soap in. Some leave the oven light on for an additional small heat source, or to remind them that soap is in the oven so they don’t start preheating it for something else. 😁

Either way, the residual heat is more than enough to gel the soap.
Thanks AliOop! That could be an explanation for why it overheated and I got the weird top and sides. I don't remember reading to turn the oven off, but that doesn't mean that I didn't and forgot :p I will definitely try it this way next time. And now that I think about it, this makes a lot more sense. I do remember reading one person saying that they do CPOP at night when all the food cooking is done so that they don't accidentally try to preheat for something else while soap is in the oven, lol.

Thanks AliOop! That could be an explanation for why it overheated and I got the weird top and sides. I don't remember reading to turn the oven off, but that doesn't mean that I didn't and forgot :p I will definitely try it this way next time. And now that I think about it, this makes a lot more sense. I do remember reading one person saying that they do CPOP at night when all the food cooking is done so that they don't accidentally try to preheat for something else while soap is in the oven, lol.
I have only tried CPOPing a couple of times, and it wasn't for me. Colors morphed (not in a good way), and I also got weird texture on all the outside edges. I also would be one of those who would stumble out to the kitchen and start making something without remembering there was soap in the oven. It's good to know our limits. 😁

I have only tried CPOPing a couple of times, and it wasn't for me. Colors morphed (not in a good way), and I also got weird texture on all the outside edges. I also would be one of those who would stumble out to the kitchen and start making something without remembering there was soap in the oven. It's good to know our limits. 😁
I agree! This very well may turn out to be a limit for me, as I tend to be a little forgetful myself! I can absolutely see myself absentmindedly trying to get double duty out of the oven as well, lol! :D

I agree! This very well may turn out to be a limit for me, as I tend to be a little forgetful myself! I can absolutely see myself absentmindedly trying to get double duty out of the oven as well, lol! :D
I put a sticky note/tape over the buttons and controls for the oven saying there is soap in it, that way nobody else randomly preheats it for a pizza. I also start a timer, both so I know how long the soap has been in there and so I remember to periodically check the soap to make sure it's not overheating.
I only leave it in there for a few hours, then I take it out and wrap it in a towel so it doesn't cool off too quickly.

I put a sticky note/tape over the buttons and controls for the oven saying there is soap in it, that way nobody else randomly preheats it for a pizza. I also start a timer, both so I know how long the soap has been in there and so I remember to periodically check the soap to make sure it's not overheating.
I only leave it in there for a few hours, then I take it out and wrap it in a towel so it doesn't cool off too quickly.
Good advice GemstonePony, thank you! I can see the whole pizza scenario happening in my house as well. I often hear my teenager in the kitchen cooking up something late at night ;)

Last edited:
I made lye water. I need to start catching up on some restocking, as well as doing some test batches with a few tweaked recipes.

Used a Costco snack carton to create a wider loaf mold so I can take another crack at this month's Challenge Soap.

Unmolded the one that I poured in my TS mold yesterday (pic below). It definitely doesn't have enough of the third color, nor any S-curve. But it smells good, and I do like the colors. @cmzaha you can see I'm still using my leprechaun mold for leftover batter. ;)

Soap Challenge Aug 2020.JPG

Last edited:
Poured my second try at this month's challenge, and... it's better. I used a similar color palette, and the new wider box mold was much more suited to the technique. However, my tried and true very fluid high-lard recipe thickened very fast tonight. What the heck? I had to thin it down with some OO to make it fluid enough to pour well. Then I tried to move the mold while everything was still too fluid, and botched up one of the ends due to slopping it up the side. Oy vey.

At least some of the middle is still acceptable, with a definite S curve going on. I think this will be my last attempt at this technique. Let's just say that my appreciation for the results in the sample videos has grown immensely!

Last edited:
Ordered some (hopefully) lighter oils to use when color accuracies matter. Ordered some new micas and my amazing new square soap mold came in from Workshop Heritage and it’s a beauty.
I drew out a picture to make some soap scrapers for sculpted layers. I tried to keep it relatively simple but I have to troubleshoot how to actually achieve what I’m going for. I have a habit of trying to tackle things at an intermediate level when I’m not familiar with it. Oh well. We’ll see how it shakes out.

Back