What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first melt and pour .. keeping with my boating hobby. It took 6 hours total with making all the embeds... figured I would play around with it since I’m on vacation and have the time. My family is impressed. Like I told them..” I go big or don’t do it”.
This is why M&P is fun. Those are just gorgeous. You can just send them all to me. :D:D:D

Did you tape or glue it all together? I'm needing to make some dividers as well..just wondering.

Ok, so I just tested out my divider. It worked great for what it was meant to do. No leaking, stayed put...etc. But when I started to try and clean it, the glue didn’t hold. :( I don’t know if I’ll try and glue it again or go back to the drawing board with a new design as I have another idea in my head for one that comes apart. Ugh! I had high hopes for it!
image.jpg

Ok, so I just tested out my divider. It worked great for what it was meant to do. No leaking, stayed put...etc. But when I started to try and clean it, the glue didn’t hold. :( I don’t know if I’ll try and glue it again or go back to the drawing board with a new design as I have another idea in my head for one that comes apart. Ugh! I had high hopes for it! View attachment 44556
Beautiful soap! Wonder if super glue would work well.... ?

What soapy thing did I do today? I washed my hands with good ol' bar soap 'n water. That's about it.

I've been using a small bar left over from one of the SMF challenges I participated in maybe a year or so ago -- the sous vide challenge. It has very nice lather and is scented with one of my favorite FOs.

I was thinking while scrubbing away that a soap that lathers well and smells good encourages a person to wash longer. Although I still sing the "happy birthday" song twice in my head just to be sure.

I made my own soap mold last week
20200319_130951.jpg
20200319_131046.jpg
20200314_224008.jpg
20200314_223806.jpg
and it was way cheaper that the one my friend ordered offline. I got the idea off YouTube. Please keep in mind that I'm NOT mechanically inclined by any means. I didn't have a saw to cut the end prices so I improvised.
20200319_130951.jpg
20200319_130951.jpg

Attachments

• 20200313_201059.jpg
    20200313_201059.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200314_223836.jpg
    20200314_223836.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200314_224032.jpg
    20200314_224032.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 19
You can use SoapmakingFriend.com for free to create and save recipes, track inventory, etc. :)

And deprive myself of all the nerdy fun I'm having building my own database?! (My other hobby is computer programming.) Stuck at home waiting for one critical ingredient to arrive, and the soapmaking jones is killing me!

I made my own soap mold last weekView attachment 44581 View attachment 44582 View attachment 44583 View attachment 44584 and it was way cheaper that the one my friend ordered offline. I got the idea off YouTube. Please keep in mind that I'm NOT mechanically inclined by any means. I didn't have a saw to cut the end prices so I improvised. View attachment 44581 View attachment 44581
I've been looking at doing this. I've mechanically incline and I own saws (circular saw and jigsaw, plus hand saws). However, the store will cut the wood to your specifications. One thing I thought of while watching the videos and seeing them use hinges to raise and lower the sides, is why not also use hinges on the ends, so the entire box will lie flat and you can lift the loaf of soap out? You also use a locking bracket on the ends and avoid the need for the bungee cords.

I made my own soap mold last weekView attachment 44581 View attachment 44582 View attachment 44583 View attachment 44584 and it was way cheaper that the one my friend ordered offline. I got the idea off YouTube. Please keep in mind that I'm NOT mechanically inclined by any means. I didn't have a saw to cut the end prices so I improvised. View attachment 44581 View attachment 44581
You did an awesome job! I wondered what the cardboard was for...it seems to work perfectly.

I've been looking at doing this. I've mechanically incline and I own saws (circular saw and jigsaw, plus hand saws). However, the store will cut the wood to your specifications. One thing I thought of while watching the videos and seeing them use hinges to raise and lower the sides, is why not also use hinges on the ends, so the entire box will lie flat and you can lift the loaf of soap out? You also use a locking bracket on the ends and avoid the need for the bungee cords.
I bought my wood at Lowe's but they no longer cut the wood for you, unfortunately. They only do large jobs now.
My plan is to add hinges on the end pieces also along with a locking brackets soon. My friend's neighbor will be cutting the wood for me and when I have those pieces cut, I'll update new pictures.
Great minds think alike

You did an awesome job! I wondered what the cardboard was for...it seems to work perfectly.
I was desperate to make some soap and use my newly made mold, so I couldn't wait and improvised
I'm working on adding the end prices soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my wood at Lowe's but they no longer cut the wood for you, unfortunately. They only do large jobs now.
My plan is to add hinges on the end pieces also along with a locking brackets soon. My friend's neighbor will be cutting the wood for me and when I have those pieces cut, I'll update new pictures.
Great minds think alike
Yep, great minds.

Back