What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty pretty colors. Can't wait to see the cut.
View attachment 44681

And here it is, Im pretty happy. it came out sorta tie dye'd with different patterns and color balances on each bar

spring3.jpg

I was surprised with the Yellow. Most yellows get washed out in my soap but not this one. Its Magic Yellow from Save on Citric

And here it is, Im pretty happy. it came out sorta tie dye'd with different patterns and color balances on each bar

View attachment 44682

I was surprised with the Yellow. Most yellows get washed out in my soap but not this one. Its Magic Yellow from Save on Citric

It looks very cool and I agree that yellow really is nice!

Made a loaf of soap, with extra oatmeal in (3x), at the request of my father.
He wanted it to smell like "the woods".
Fragrances used are balsam pine, cut grass, and dirt.
My wife thinks it smells just like mulch.
Think he may like it.

No pictures, since its a generic white bar....

But, soaped a little warmer than normal, and it gelled very well, and I have not noticed any steric spots or soda ash yet.
(Just cut it a few hours ago.)

Have been giving away all my test/trial bars that may not be the most attractive, or smell the best, but are still good soap.

Hope everyone is staying home and staying well.

I have a 2lb batch of Lavender/Peppermint soap sitting on the counter wrapped in a towel going through gel phase. I am not fond of the scent, but my daughter requested it. I made both of us some lip balm also. Hers has peppermint EO in it.

I will probably get lots of flack for this, but this is how I clean up my soaping. I make sure my sinks are free of dishes that we eat out of and the dishwasher is also.

I pour about half a sink of really hot water with about a pint of vinegar added to it. I scrape every last gram I can get of soap out of my bowl, and off my SB, and off the spatula. I then wipe everything down with paper towels to remove all possible residue. Then they get rinsed with LOTS of HOT water at full force. Then into the vinegar sink they go. They get swished and washed thoroughly with a plastic scrubbing brush. All of this with gloves still on. Rinsed again, then run through the dishwasher.

I am making liquid soap when my new pH meter comes in, so I am going to do some testing of the vinegar water before and after washing my soaping stuff just to see.

I m making soap outside so fan can blow lye fumes blow away from me. My safety goggles work wonderfully but my corneas are soo tender I have to be so careful. I’m in process of HP of Walmart shortening(already has palm oil and animal fat) w/grape seed, coconut, castor, cocoa butter. I’ve found ways from forum how to keep it fluid by lower heat & yogurt & coconut cream at end before I mold up. Got a ?? about clays and fullers earth. Can fullers earth be added like clay to soap? And what does it do to soap?

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you get it white? I love your fragrance description but seriously what are the real fragrances?! LOL.
I make a soap with a similar profile and love it. I use Cut Grass Fo Dirt FO, Cedarwood EO, Pine EO, with a titch of Lavender. I love the damp forest floor type smell the dirt fo gives.

A tallow, lard, ho canola, co, pko, and castor oil base will give a white soap

I printed off my recipes to make soap. Considering I haven't made any in a year I still haven't lit that fire under my behind. Maybe this weekend. I'm finding it difficult to get restarted. I miss it though. I did bottle 50- 2 oz bottles of hand sanitizer to take to work as we are experiencing a shortage at the hospital so donating them and I gave some to friends. I ordered another gallon but have no idea when it will get here.

Heat is A Catalyst!!! A Catalyst speeds up the process! Proved that one for real today while making some Coffee Soap.
I was using coffee as my water for the lye solution. Normally, I let my lye come down to about 100 degrees F. Today, on the first batch of Coffee Soap I have ever attempted I started with my oils around 90 degrees F. and my lye solution was about 128 degrees F. WOW!! was that ever a mistake. TRACE happened so fast that I barely had time to add my Coffee Fragrance and Coffee Grounds to the Soap Batter. I did manage to get the batter into my Silicone mold before it got really hard. I didn't get to play with the top of the batter in the mold very much and make any fancy swirls. Well, it is a learning process. The Coffee Soap has been put to bed and about this time tomorrow we will see what we have. Will it be a nice mannered baby soap or will it turn out to be a bastard? (pardon my Medieval Latin).

How do you get it white? I love your fragrance description but seriously what are the real fragrances?! LOL.

The scents really are dirt and cut grass.
The cut grass is so good I could almost feel my allergies coming on.
The dirt is more of a loam smell than clay. Musty potting soil almost?
Still pretty spot on.

The pine is well, pine. More resinous than green or this one, but still nice.

The bar is not a pure white, but close too.
Recipe is almost exactly what @cmzaha listed, but I am using palm (fruit) oil instead of PKO.
(Local "natural" grocery store went under and I managed to buy 4 lbs of Spectrum PO shortening at serious discount.)

My writing things isn't going well, so I decided to make some soap last night. I did the CPOP method trying to make a swirl. It didn't look too well when I put it in the over. This morning the bars only have a slight swirl, but for a first effort I love them. I used a Nuture Soap scent called Seventh Heaven and they smell delicious. Here's a pic.FIRST SWIRL_80.jpg FIRST SWIRL_84.jpg

My writing things isn't going well, so I decided to make some soap last night. I did the CPOP method trying to make a swirl. It didn't look too well when I put it in the over. This morning the bars only have a slight swirl, but for a first effort I love them. I used a Nuture Soap scent called Seventh Heaven and they smell delicious.
Those are really pretty, Shirley!

My writing things isn't going well, so I decided to make some soap last night. I did the CPOP method trying to make a swirl. It didn't look too well when I put it in the over. This morning the bars only have a slight swirl, but for a first effort I love them. I used a Nuture Soap scent called Seventh Heaven and they smell delicious. Here's a pic.View attachment 44715 View attachment 44716 View attachment 44715 View attachment 44715 View attachment 44716
That’s a beautiful swirl. We are our own worst enemies!

Latest posts

Back