What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a newbie, I have found this to be a very expensive hobby and quite frankly, an addiction!! I have found the FOs that say they behave well in CP from BB are pretty true to their word. However, my trial and error with EOs has been very costly. I also use coffee in my CP kitchen hand soap. I don’t use the FO but the liquid in place of water in lye mix and the used grounds. Makes a great “odor eater”!
It is sort of an addiction...chasing the perfect scent. Some posted on here this weekend (sorry...don't remember who) that often the names and descriptions of FO's don't reflect reality of what they smell like. If I could go to a store and actually smell them it would be different, but that's just not a reality for me. I don't understand why some intrepid company doesn't make scent sample cards like they do with perfumes in magazines. On the flip side, I honestly don't know that I believe the health benefits of EOs translate into topical use in CP soaps either, but that's sort of another discussion. At least with a good, undiluted EO combination that I make myself, I have a better idea of what I'm getting. Why would someone, including me, rant about excess chemicals in our environment and go to all the trouble of making an "all-natural, non-animal, palm-free" etc bar, then fill it with chemicals. I'm asking, not preaching as I have just ordered WSPs black pepper and sandalwood FO, which means I have no room to talk. I may stick with EOs and experiment with backing off on the amounts to see if I can get more subtle fragrances in my bars to make them more about the lather.

Nicely done. I struggle with the background blur personally.
It's all about DoF. Depth of Field or Depth of Focus, the terms are interchangeable.
This image gives a very basic overview
aperture-diagram.gif

If you enjoy going full geek and reading about it in detail then this article is pretty good.
https://www.davemorrowphotography.com/depth-of-field-photography

Hope that helps. And of course, as with many things, practice develops the skill :)

35DF8FF3-18B4-4157-8A35-EFD3B5179393.jpeg
Well now, @Misschief got me feelin’ all guilty about my soaping closet. Look at what one finds when one cleans things out. I immediately thought of @Dawni and her adventures in soy.

3D4E4D8B-84B0-477F-A49A-439116DDFC0D.jpeg
Happy Easter everyone. #HeIsRisen

Four-color Drop Swirl. 40% Citronella, 30% Cedarwood, 15% Rosemary and 15% Lavender. Used master-batch lye and oils. As I have been doing lately, I used coconut milk to make up the additional liquid above my LW. Everything else was pretty straight forward. Thirty minutes start-to-finish! I got really lucky. The containers I chose for my oils just happen to hold EXACTLY enough to fill my loaf mold
View attachment 38487
So, I ask you, does this ever get old?.... Somebody start the burlesque music...

33392F0E-A21A-4912-9295-71D1228EB5DF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back