What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made another batch of Salt Soap today. They're scented with Lavender, Rosemary & Peppermint EO. And in non-soapy things, I finished a pair of socks for my husband that I started almost two years ago. About time, I'd say.
View attachment 38557 View attachment 38558
LOL - at least you finished them! If it were me they'd be in a plastic bag, still half on the knitting needles - getting moved from the last house we owned a year a go, to this, after being in storage for almost two years because we didn't have space for all my clutter...

Lather tested both HP Castile and CP Castile soaps I made about three weeks ago..

My order of NaOH and KOH was delivered today so I might be able to try dual lye soap soon... And maybe if I'm feeling adventurous, liquid soap.

Lastly, I cut another batch of indigo colored soap and while this ones bluer than the previous try, which wasn't blue at all, it's still not the color I want
_20190424_090031.JPG

It's more grey than blue, and the specks didn't wanna dissolve no matter how much I SBed. First batch had indigo in the lye water, this had it mixed in the oils.. Next I'm gonna try it as infused superfat added after the cook to see if I get a blue.

still very pretty, the specks look like they were meant to be there. the slate blue is very pretty and I love the veining. is this HP or CP? your soaps are reminiscent of rocks, which is pretty cool Dawni. did you scent this soap?

Lather tested both HP Castile and CP Castile soaps I made about three weeks ago..

My order of NaOH and KOH was delivered today so I might be able to try dual lye soap soon... And maybe if I'm feeling adventurous, liquid soap.

Lastly, I cut another batch of indigo colored soap and while this ones bluer than the previous try, which wasn't blue at all, it's still not the color I want
View attachment 38570
It's more grey than blue, and the specks didn't wanna dissolve no matter how much I SBed. First batch had indigo in the lye water, this had it mixed in the oils.. Next I'm gonna try it as infused superfat added after the cook to see if I get a blue.
Beautiful...Hard to get consistent colors like that from natural colorants based on my brief experience. BTW...it there a particular reason you are so into natural colorants? I want to use more of them, but they fade or change colors so easily...at least botanical ones. Obviously clays are pretty stable. You've done some great work in that area.

Oh @Lin19687 you are far too adventurous! I'm just going for a cool 500k... :p

Last night I made a custom order of shampoo bars. She wanted Warm Vanilla Sugar (or whatever the name of the BBW dupe is), so I'm curious to see how the vanillan reacts in a non-soap item. I did add a bit of a champagne pink mica to it to see if it would give it a pink undertone. I'm still experimenting a bit to see what % vanillan plays well with coloring. I explained the vanillan effect to the customer before I made it, so she's cool with getting brown shampoo bars if that's how it turns out. Then I printed out labels, cleaned up soap (wiped off crumbs and soda ash), labeled shampoo bars (not the ones I just made), labeled the sugar scrubs, made my to do list... and... I think that's it... Tonight I'm going to check the evening light in the dining room to see if it's good enough for taking pictures. Might have to wait for Saturday.

OH @amd You are better then me. I still have 12 soaps to box up and label......... once you get past 200 you just lose all momentum !
I just want to sit back, make soap, send it off to a store and let them make me rich

still very pretty, the specks look like they were meant to be there. the slate blue is very pretty and I love the veining. is this HP or CP? your soaps are reminiscent of rocks, which is pretty cool Dawni. did you scent this soap?
Thank you! It's HP.. An ITP sorta swirl. I noticed when the soap is between fluid n gloppy, I get veining like this. Will have to do it again on purpose to see if I'm right. It's still unscented lol I didn't wanna waste my EOs in case I do something wrong lol

Beautiful...Hard to get consistent colors like that from natural colorants based on my brief experience. BTW...it there a particular reason you are so into natural colorants? I want to use more of them, but they fade or change colors so easily...at least botanical ones. Obviously clays are pretty stable. You've done some great work in that area.
Aww thank you.. I actually have micas here haha but I think it's the experimentation process, and not knowing what you'll get after, that keeps me excited to try them out.

Also I've seen some gorgeous soaps, mostly CP so I'm on a mission to have info on HP floating around ze netz haha, using only natural colorants and I fell in love with those rich but muted, earthy colors.

Today I am trying to figure out how to dominate the Soap industry with my soaps and make a million
Please throw us a tiny tip or two once you've figured it out lol maybe then I'll consider starting to sell haha

OH @amd You are better then me.
Bahaha... we'll talk about this the end of May when I'm trying to shrink wrap and label all the soaps I've made this year for a show June 1 & 2. I've been cleaning up my soaps and then storing them in baseball card boxes and wrapping/labeling as I sell - at least the new soaps I've made this year. 2017 and 2018 soaps are already wrapped/labeled. Don't worry, you're still my idol!

I am a Lazy idol then hahaha

It took me forever to box all these.
I had to cut the tops off every single one.
Ink stamp with Ingredients and Logo, then change the stamp to put the soap Scent on it . That is what took for ever.

Then it is just pop in the box.

NO MORE GLUE ! so happy about that

Bought tetrasodium EDTA from Bulgaria via Ebay (it is not too easily available in Europe). It will just make it easier to use EDTA than citric acid + add extra lye. I could have reacted citric acid with baking soda to made sodium citrate myself, since I do have both. But I have not done it yet.

My soy wax still have the status "awaiting fulfillment". Well, I guess I just have to wait some more. I should come up with something else to make than bar soap while I'm waiting. But what? Perhaps give liquid soap another try. Or make shaving soap. Or email the company and ask why it takes so long for the soy wax to show up. I hate waiting forever. Not that I can complain too much, since the shipping was extraordinary cheap. So I will wait a few days more.

Back