What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are the easiest to swirl!! LOL

I'm going to try and ITP swirl with my with a white base and the swirls colored. I tried that one other time, but failed miserably, so I'm crossing my fingers this goes a little better. I have a new technique planned out so am hoping it works this time.

I hope it works out for you too!!!!

How did it turn out?
I LOVE it. Its not grainy or melty in the jar or overly oily. I am very happy with it

BateButter Product.png

Last edited:
Thanks Marilyn, it is just the red ED mold w/o the basket, guess I need to get one because I use a wooden mold to support the sides. Just improvising a little :))

I was wondering how you kept it together cuz I couldn't see anything on the end--I hear ya on the improvising--I did that with my tall and skinny. I enjoy that kind of thing. but decided to ask a guy to make wood mold for me so it was more mobile---actually I think it was more because I wanted a slab mold and I didn't think I could make something square :)

Would someone please explain master batching?

Masterbatching is premixing ingredients to make it easier and faster to make soap in the future.

For instance: I am, at this very moment, allowing my lye masterbatch (32 oz by weight each of NaOH and H2O) to cool in the sink. I have my BBoO (Big Batch of Oils) cooling on the counter right before I weigh out each batch into the bucket that I will make the soap in. I also just masterbatched my additives of EDTA (equal parts EDTA and distilled water), simple syrup (equal parts sugar and distilled water), and aloe vera juice all together so I have one big batch of additives. Having all of those things mixed and ready to go enables me to throw a batch of soap together in very little time. All I do is weigh out lye and additives, add those to the masterbatched oils, then add color and fragrance and I am done. Easy Peasy. I even pick the fragrance and the colors for the next day and set those out on top of the recipe for that batch. That way it takes me just about 2 hours to mix 4 batches of soap.

I also do not wash my soaping dishes right after I make soap. I throw them down in a 5 gallon bucket and wash them the next day after I cut the soap. That way, they are soap and not raw soap batter. I do take a butter knife and scrape all the soap out of those containers and into the trash before washing. Then I pour hot water into the bucket and slap the lid on for an hour or so. Makes clean up a breeze and that way there is less soap going down my pipes. (Thank you, Carolyn!) I haven't had a problem yet, and I hope to never have one.

I just tried a rainbow soap--scented it with "left the scent on the counter" hahaha some days I think I am losing my mind

I made 4 batches of soap today, 3 of them had parts of the "left the scent on the counter" batches of soap in them to try to use them up...I know I have lost my mind. I just don't know where I put it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes!! that sounds like a nightmare

It was luckily i had some vinegar and towels handy to mop up the mess id already mixed it to a pretty thick trace so it could of been so much worse. Now i always take the motor bit off before i leave the bottom bit in the batter

Nothing soapy planned today except maybe cleaing my soaping dishes from last week. Iv been waiting in for 3 things from amazon to be delivered 2 out of 3 have been but the last one still says its not out for delivery but its due by 9pm. I make my own house cleaning spray so i ordered stuff in bulk and was counting on it to arrive today to get some much needed cleaning and tidying done. If it doesnt arrive might make some soap or candles later with latest fo that arrived wednesday

I washed all the soapy stuff from yesterday and cleaned the kitchen. messing with scents. maybe I will do something later on but am feeling kinda lazy. I have been eating too much garbage lately and its showing in my pain levels so today is the day I stop eating sweets again--wish me luck

I made this one today. It’s patchouli scented, so some will love it and others will hate it. I did a drop swirl for the first time so interested to see the cut.
View attachment 37056 View attachment 37057

Hey, this is the soap I made in my mind a few days ago....just didn’t turn out this beautifully. As always, cant wait to see it cut.

I have been trying to do a swirl where only the upper 1/4 is swirled and the rest is white--I have tried twice and while the second was better it still wasn't what I wanted and not very good

I have tried and failed for the 3rd time, but I think I have finally hit on the solution (if you don't mind me making a suggestion since I am one mistake ahead of you). I think the solution is to make one batch of soap with just the white, pour at thin trace so the top is nice and level, and let it sit up AT LEAST 6 hours, then make a 2nd batch with the swirl, and pour it on top. I think this will keep that second batch from breaking through the bottom layer. I also figured out that that has to be the secret to ombre, as no other solution I have tried has worked. And I have tried and tried. Thin trace, and let the previous layers set up. If I get the errands done and the house cleaned, I am going to try this this afternoon, so I will let you know.

I have tried and failed for the 3rd time, but I think I have finally hit on the solution (if you don't mind me making a suggestion since I am one mistake ahead of you). I think the solution is to make one batch of soap with just the white, pour at thin trace so the top is nice and level, and let it sit up AT LEAST 6 hours, then make a 2nd batch with the swirl, and pour it on top. I think this will keep that second batch from breaking through the bottom layer. I also figured out that that has to be the secret to ombre, as no other solution I have tried has worked. And I have tried and tried. Thin trace, and let the previous layers set up. If I get the errands done and the house cleaned, I am going to try this this afternoon, so I will let you know.

sounds great to me--no worries on suggestions--that is why I am here :) . let me know how it goes--good luck!!!!!

This weekend is what my Grandmother called a “blackberry winter” in our neck of the woods....basically the last gasp of winter’s damp, dreary weather dipping below freezing for a couple of nights. Great for the last pot of hearty soup and a small fire to knock the chill off the house. Maybe A splash of scotch or smoky añejo tequila over a chunky ice cube. My question is how to best spend the afternoon/evening as wifey (sadly) has to work? Do taxes? Or make soap? [imagine Daryl doing the “scales of justice” back-and-forth hand movement]. It’s so close...I wonder which it will be....For the answer to this and many other questions, come back tonight, “Same Bat-time, Same Bat-channel.”

This weekend is what my Grandmother called a “blackberry winter” in our neck of the woods....basically the last gasp of winter’s damp, dreary weather dipping below freezing for a couple of nights. Great for the last pot of hearty soup and a small fire to knock the chill off the house. Maybe A splash of scotch or smoky añejo tequila over a chunky ice cube. My question is how to best spend the afternoon/evening as wifey (sadly) has to work? Do taxes? Or make soap? [imagine Daryl doing the “scales of justice” back-and-forth hand movement]. It’s so close...I wonder which it will be....For the answer to this and many other questions, come back tonight, “Same Bat-time, Same Bat-channel.”

I am thinking of the smoky tequila--I think I would have liked your gma

Not necessarily soapy but I'll be making some lip balm today for tomorrow's market. It should be a fun one.

This is on my to-do list for the near future, but I have not started looking into it yet. I imagine there will be a thread or forum area on that here somewhere? Can I re-use store bought tubes or do I have to buy new ones? I feel as you do -- I want to make as much of my own care products as possible!

Latest posts

Back