What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am still struggling with glycerin rivers in my TD as you can see from the first couple of photos, so I tried not to use it in my second batch just used a white mica in the second batch. It didn’t really go very white only creamy colour. I am really pleased with them both however next time I am going to try TD and not use any FO in that part and see if that makes any difference. Happy soaping. DE52BC88-5469-4822-9D7A-108C0C0C5CFC.jpeg75D43289-28DD-4EAC-9BE2-CBFCF8D8F682.jpeg5476306B-A1F1-42C7-AEBC-482FD749C5D0.jpegD88FBB7E-7E56-40EA-9FA7-CC0D55BA0643.jpeg

So I am still struggling with glycerin rivers in my TD as you can see from the first couple of photos, so I tried not to use it in my second batch just used a white mica in the second batch. It didn’t really go very white only creamy colour. I am really pleased with them both however next time I am going to try TD and not use any FO in that part and see if that makes any difference. Happy soaping.View attachment 36944View attachment 36945View attachment 36947View attachment 36946
Pretty! Love them all - even the glycerin rivers. :)

So I am still struggling with glycerin rivers in my TD as you can see from the first couple of photos, so I tried not to use it in my second batch just used a white mica in the second batch. It didn’t really go very white only creamy colour. I am really pleased with them both however next time I am going to try TD and not use any FO in that part and see if that makes any difference. Happy soaping.View attachment 36944View attachment 36945View attachment 36947View attachment 36946
Purty!

Hi Soapy friends [emoji851].. I am planning to make a 100% castor oil liquid soap today, will it work.... what are the benefits and demerits on that...

Can you help in directing to right place for advice...

Pretty patterns!! I'm really loving the one with blue and the soft flower-like colors, it's a truly lovely mix.

Hi Soapy friends [emoji851].. I am planning to make a 100% castor oil liquid soap today, will it work.... what are the benefits and demerits on that...

Can you help in directing to right place for advice...

I don't think it will work. Any reason that you want 100 pct castor?

View attachment 36951 Made a new layered cold process soap called Smoky Bay. I think it really turned out well and I used a scent called Sandlewood.
Dale that's gorgeous! Love the mix of colours.

I made this one last night and I'm itching to get the silicone mat off and cut it, but after lifting the corner I can see it's not quite set up enough yet. Patience...(not my forte)
fullsizeoutput_4ef9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cherry and Dale, both your soaps are beautiful!!!

I made this one last night and I'm itching to get the silicone mat off and cut it, but after lifting the corner I can see it's not quite set up enough yet. Patience...(not my forte)
View attachment 36963

very nice Kiwi--where do find the silicone mats? I have been wanting some for my round molds

My fo order is due today.

Went to my local beekeepers club meeting tonight it was presented by someone who sells cosmetics and was all about the use of hive products so stuff like soap, candles and lip balms ect.

Iv had a few issues with how she doesnt label or have any warning labels on candles but in the presentation she said her soap recipe was written up by an impatient chemist and didnt require any cure time. had to bite my tongue stopping myself from saying anything about it in front of the group. But that made me cringe big time. put me right off the idea of buying anything from her found it worrying because this was more like a low detailed tutorial so she is telling people you dont need to cure soap and from the instructions she gave sounded like cp not hp i know it still needs curing with hp but this is first time iv ever seen someone suggesting cp doesnt need curing. Maybe it was just that she was dumbing it down but i felt like i had more knowledge about soap making than she presented there was absolutly no mention of doing any trial and error with the oils and %s she made it sound very simple easy and quick

My fo order is due today.

Went to my local beekeepers club meeting tonight it was presented by someone who sells cosmetics and was all about the use of hive products so stuff like soap, candles and lip balms ect.

Iv had a few issues with how she doesnt label or have any warning labels on candles but in the presentation she said her soap recipe was written up by an impatient chemist and didnt require any cure time. had to bite my tongue stopping myself from saying anything about it in front of the group. But that made me cringe big time. put me right off the idea of buying anything from her found it worrying because this was more like a low detailed tutorial so she is telling people you dont need to cure soap and from the instructions she gave sounded like cp not hp i know it still needs curing with hp but this is first time iv ever seen someone suggesting cp doesnt need curing. Maybe it was just that she was dumbing it down but i felt like i had more knowledge about soap making than she presented there was absolutly no mention of doing any trial and error with the oils and %s she made it sound very simple easy and quick
Sounds dangerous to me. Bet you just wanted to stand up and correct her huh?

Sounds dangerous to me. Bet you just wanted to stand up and correct her huh?

Yup and what was kinda annoying before the meeting but again stopped myself was someone wrote on my soaping page that it might be of interest to me to hear about it from someone with experience :mad: i dont think he realises how much iv learnt from trial and error would take a guess i know more about soap than she does and i would never ever dream of suggesting soap doesnt need any cure.

She stated she does it as a hobby which is fine and she is very knowledgable about beekeeping and is actually a master beekeeper so im not doubting her knowledge in that area but to say stuff like that is scary and this is why i didnt say anything because i dont sell i would think my 'opinion' would be seen as just that an opinion not a fact based on my knowledge. Im not pretending to know all but iv spent over 6 months experimenting so iv got a fair idea what im doing but also i know iv alot left to learn.

She didnt even mention a lye calc she said she uses a site that gives how much lye you need for each oil used which to me sounds like a very long winded way to go plus how would you put a sf with that method should you want one? Also said she was going to do a class on shampoo bars, doesnt seem like she is really one to go out and experiment and takes everything as its just going to be perfect first go just because shes been on a course and knows a chemist :rolleyes:
Iv learnt among lots of other stuff, from trying and reading and asking questions, not everything works for everyone the % of coconut oil for example is not a universal thing

I got asked in a smaller group if i learnt anything because some know what sort of things i make i just said no there was pretty much nothing new in that for me to learn anything but it was interesting kinda had to add that not because i wanted or meant it, iv read into and researched everything she makes just havnt ventured into making some of them yet as id prefer to go one step at a time.

View attachment 36963

As @Dawni will agree with nor am i. We had a discussion about the fact she had left a soap to cure for nearly 3 months and hadnt been tempted to use it. I often struggle to wait a week before i test my soap. 3 months is like an eternity to me

So. Little Miss Impatient waited until after work today and it was still a bit 'sticky'. So I popped it into the fridge while I was having dinner, and about an hour later i took the silicone mat off. It looks pretty but i'm a bit disappointed you can't see the contrast in colours. I poured uncoloured batter into the pattern to fill the raised pieces, then coloured the rest and filled the mould. You can see in the pics of the edges where the contrast is, but in the main pic, it all looks the same colour.
IMG_0245.jpeg
IMG_2719.jpeg
IMG_5700.jpeg

Oh @KiwiMoose I just now finished something similar but on a smaller scale and in reverse. My silicon sheet had the darker color and the (hopefully) white as the main body. It's still in the loaf mold and like @Chris_S said, I've got lots of patience to wait haha

Maybe the center part had a thinner coating of the white? It looks more transparent than the edges...

Or maybe it's still gelling or some other chemistry and it'll even out some more.

It's very pretty though, I like the speckled blue. Tell us more when you post the cut pics ;)

Edit: Sneak peek!
_20190227_171006.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back