What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, today has been an amazingly productive day. Some years ago I dropped the lid of my slow cooker and broke it. I did purchase another slow cooker but hung onto the old one "just in case". We have a Council road side collection coming up and Mark came back from walking the dogs and said he had seen a slow cooker pot with lid on a verge and asked would I like him to go get it? I said yes and back Mark went and I now have a lid for spare slow cooker. Later Mark went out to collect something from the shops and rang me to say he had found another slow cooker and did I want it. Low and behold, he turns up with a smaller version and it actually works! Amazing, it is just the right size for my soaping. I had actually been looking at them in the shops but decided I could not justify spending the money until I knew if soap making would be a long term hobby.

Great, so we decide we should go out and check out what else is on the verges. Mark ended up with a couple of clay flower pots, I got 3 x 20L buckets with lids plus something that will make an excellent 12 bar mould for soap making plus a new sofa for the dogs. Their last sofa, which we also got from a roadside pick up some years ago, was only a 2 seater and the cushions have been destroyed by a couple of the dogs. This time we got them a 3 seater and I'll bet that none of them will share now either.

Mark and I carrying the old sofa out to the verge gave Max (one of the dogs) a attack of anxiety, even though he had another sofa right there but it was HIS sofa being taken away
1f642.png
:)

All-in-all it was a highly productive jaunt out and we are going out again tomorrow.
1f917.png
My grandpa always said "one man's junk is another man's treasure!" That's how Ken and I furnished our first apartment together. I especially love when I find soaping supplies! Will you post a pic of your 12-bar mold? I'm curious to see what you found!

I made a small batch of CP yesterday (my 5th) and will un mold and cut it later today. It was my first time using TD and a fragrance oil in my soaps.
It behaved really well and gave me no problems.
Up until now I have used only Essential oils without any color.
Allen

Read the forum...does that count. Otherwise nothing, nada, sat on my backside crocheting hats. Do need to restock for market Wed, but I would rather be making and restocking soaps and lotions. Holidays are coming and I am so behind it is not even funny :(

Well, I ended up cleaning out the Chicken run, several runs to the Compost dump to get rod of old hay and get new compost for run. Much better now, it was hard dirt so this is good for a while and will add more next Sunday.

Getting oils ready and Lye mixed this afternoon.....at least I thought about soaping

Made a pretty batch of Caramel and Honey from Nurture and a funny thing happened. My TD is water soluble and I had some mixed from the last time I soaped a week or so ago. Naturally it dehydrated in the cup and I was left with a thin cracker kinda thing of TD. I poured some more water into it and it kinda crackled and popped and hissed for a second before mixing in!! So weird!! It did fine though. Soap is sleeping and I will be soon :)
IMG_9301.JPG

;) That's a GORGEOUS soap. So jealous ...

I'm lining my wooden molds. Ugh. The parchment paper is Reynolds brand and SO grateful the dollar store here is carrying it. For $2 x 30 sq ft, I'm NOT complaining!

It's not easy for me to fold it though. Feels like I'm getting tested on my origami folding skills.

My salty water is ready as well. I'm going to try making this batch with salt vs seawater. The good thing is that the salt here is just dehydrated sea water, a local product. It even has some sand still in it. So I dissolve the salt, let it sit for a minute or days, then pour it out through a sieve. This'll be fun. :oops:

I'm really hoping to be able to make a batch of soap tomorrow. Hate feeling too ill to soap.

@steffamarie That soap is GORGEOUS!!

As for me, I made a batch of HPLS paste, and some dryer balls. I mainly make cleaning products, but am wanting to make some CP soap for Christmas gifts- I've been practicing over the last few weeks, with a charcoal face bar and ultra moisturizing bar.. and am glad to have both in my home!

Had an order go through the web at 4:30 am. I was awake anyway but got it all boxed and shipping printed by 5:45 ...... because I refuse to get out of bed before 5 lol
Then I couldn't figure out why the shipping was a 1 more dollar. I almost missed that they wanted 2 of one scent.... read and re-read that early in the morning :)

Now to get soap done

Those are Unicorn Poop :p

I was going to ask if that was the poop emoji mold! I was going to make cupcake tops with it, but the soaps are so huge without the bottom, I decided to leave them as just the tops. That's a good idea for unicorn poop soap - my daughter helped me make 18 bars scented with an FO of the same name. (We made soap dough lollipops for the top, which she mostly made herself, and then she helped pick out the colors and what type of pour to do, and I did the heavy lifting of mixing and pouring.) We sold the soaps to help her raise money for horse camp because she wanted to help pay for it. I've been looking for a new idea for her unicorn poop soaps that doesn't involve soap dough - so if you don't mind... I'm stealing it!

I did not do much this weekend. My cousin passed away Friday, and even though we knew it was coming it still hit me like a Mack truck. I had a beer date with another soapmaker, so I pulled myself together. We had a nice chat - I did not get to dig into water discounting (she does it very well), but we did spend a lot of time talking about labels and life. We also did a soap swap, so now I am the lucky owner of two of her soaps, one being a chocolate cake which is utterly divine! She was cleaning out her fragrances and brought me a box of Lush dupes from Nurture Soaps. I did make two batches of beer soap on Sunday, both Crafter's Choice FO's: 50 shades (the gray, black & red), and Tabac and Leather dupe. I should be able to cut at lunch if they gelled as hard as the others have been doing.
50_shades.jpg
tabac_leather.jpg

(sorry for the blurry photos, I shake so bad and haven't gotten the hang of using my tripod for photos yet)

My carrot soap is still soft, so it is getting shredded into another soap. I'm thinking I'll try to make a green layer for grass and a nice blue for sky, and hopefully the orange & cranberry shreds will represent leaves. Not sure if I'll try to scent the new soap, or hope that the fragrance in the shreds carries through. It won't be the soap I originally intended for the club, but it will still be unique.

I was going to ask if that was the poop emoji mold! I was going to make cupcake tops with it, but the soaps are so huge without the bottom, I decided to leave them as just the tops. That's a good idea for unicorn poop soap - my daughter helped me make 18 bars scented with an FO of the same name. (We made soap dough lollipops for the top, which she mostly made herself, and then she helped pick out the colors and what type of pour to do, and I did the heavy lifting of mixing and pouring.) We sold the soaps to help her raise money for horse camp because she wanted to help pay for it. I've been looking for a new idea for her unicorn poop soaps that doesn't involve soap dough - so if you don't mind... I'm stealing it!

Steal away.

So sorry to hear about your cousin. I think that, even though we know the end is near, as long as they're still alive, we have a hope that things might turn around. Once they're gone, that hope dies with them. We went through the same thing with my nephew. ((hugs))

So sorry to hear about your cousin.....thoughts and prayers to the family. Your soaps are pretty. I do Fifty Shades layered with different shades of grey to black. I've been making bath bombs in the poop mold. I have two of them. We call them Unicorn Poop.

What kind of boxes do you use for Holiday Gift packs?
Believe it or not, Dollar Tree carries really pretty boxes/Lids that are the perfect size. I order them online and have them shipped (free) to the closest store. I have searched and searched and havent found ones comparable for less than a $1 a piece including shipping.

There is a 48 box minimum and there are two sizes included. It works out perfectly for two sizes of gift boxes.

I also bought some really cute gift envelopes for single bars in silver with a ribbon from oriental trading. I promote those as a Holiday Hostess gift.

I did not do much this weekend. My cousin passed away Friday, and even though we knew it was coming it still hit me like a Mack truck. I had a beer date with another soapmaker, so I pulled myself together. We had a nice chat - I did not get to dig into water discounting (she does it very well), but we did spend a lot of time talking about labels and life. We also did a soap swap, so now I am the lucky owner of two of her soaps, one being a chocolate cake which is utterly divine! She was cleaning out her fragrances and brought me a box of Lush dupes from Nurture Soaps. I did make two batches of beer soap on Sunday, both Crafter's Choice FO's: 50 shades (the gray, black & red), and Tabac and Leather dupe. I should be able to cut at lunch if they gelled as hard as the others have been doing.
View attachment 32182 View attachment 32183
(sorry for the blurry photos, I shake so bad and haven't gotten the hang of using my tripod for photos yet)

My carrot soap is still soft, so it is getting shredded into another soap. I'm thinking I'll try to make a green layer for grass and a nice blue for sky, and hopefully the orange & cranberry shreds will represent leaves. Not sure if I'll try to scent the new soap, or hope that the fragrance in the shreds carries through. It won't be the soap I originally intended for the club, but it will still be unique.
I am so sorry. Expected or not, it's a blow when it happens.

Man, at least I got to the Gym...
measured oils, lined molds, water all set and Lye also into containers and have a list for FO to make.......... but now it is a bit too late to start to soap.
Tomorrow ;)

Its experimentation night again (My Husband would say "As opposed to what?") I mixed two fragrances. Flannel sheets and Driftwood and sea salt and tried using a divider to create kind of a flannel pattern using grey, pink blue and white, It didnt really go as planed but am hoping it at least looks good when i unmold and cut.. we will see.

Latest posts

Back