What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made another coffee soap!... the bad news is that this time the fragrance (capuccino) didnt behave and i had to smush the batter in to the mold. The good news is that i separated it in two portions and only scented one, so the other half i was able to pour and hopefully the inside wont look too bad.

I felt like soaping last evening,bud I worked the whole day and cooking etc
So I made a mistake with lining the mold..doing things in a hurry is not so good
I wanted to make a coffee soap in 3 colors; coffee,coffee mixed with TD and coffee/TD/oker pigment
I poured it...beautiful colors showed....then it started leaking out of the mold
So I put my hands around the mold..I still think it is weird what happened
Bud I dumped it in a mold I had..not the right one,bud better than having it all laying on the ground
I was pretty disappointed with myself bud got over it and I know this will have a redo and then I will succeed I hope haha

i made my second ever batch of bathbombs :) got some actual water soluble colours and an scale and im so happy with the results! you can see my first try at bath bombs in the corner of the first picture.

nothing else in the bath except 1 bathbomb and the photos dont do the water colour justice
IMG_20180923_213204.jpg
IMG_20180924_201226.jpg
IMG_20180924_201231.jpg

I have done nothing soapy for a bit. Had surgery on my ankle, going to be non-weight bearing for a total of 6 weeks, and cautioned by the doctor to not expect to be standing long periods for at least 3 months after the cast comes off. So, it will be a while before I get back to making soap. Had two deaths in the family, one expected, one not. And they were far enough apart that I am having to make two separate trips back home to attend funerals (6 hour trip each way). Also, my son and his BF and their two dogs moved in for a while. He had a toxic roommate/stalker situation in New Orleans, so Mama's ankle surgery provided a great reason for an emergency work transfer. They really have been super helpful with housework and such, so I am not complaining.

I have done nothing soapy for a bit. Had surgery on my ankle, going to be non-weight bearing for a total of 6 weeks, and cautioned by the doctor to not expect to be standing long periods for at least 3 months after the cast comes off. So, it will be a while before I get back to making soap. Had two deaths in the family, one expected, one not. And they were far enough apart that I am having to make two separate trips back home to attend funerals (6 hour trip each way). Also, my son and his BF and their two dogs moved in for a while. He had a toxic roommate/stalker situation in New Orleans, so Mama's ankle surgery provided a great reason for an emergency work transfer. They really have been super helpful with housework and such, so I am not complaining.

Hope you heal well and quickly. It's so hard being out of service. Glad you have help. Sorry for your losses. Take care of yourself.

Thas
That is such an overwhelming amount of stress to have at one time that I can't hardly wrap my head around it. You have remarkable coping skills. Hang in there, this too shall pass.

I cut my beer soaps over lunch yesterday. Very happy with how they turned out. Photographed the soaps that are being packaged and listed this week. Started putting soap into shrink wrap bands, but didn't get very far - daughter wanted to cuddle and watch YouTube with me, so I called it an early night. I did remember to take tallow out of the freezer to do masterbatching tonight.
20180924_125929.jpg 20180924_125945.jpg
I need to get the last soaps made for the brewery, now that I have their beer in hand. The brewer liked NG Cracklin' Birch with that beer, so that's what we're going with! I haven't decided on a design yet. I like to leave a portion of the soap uncolored to show off the beer color, and have been matching the other colors to the beer label so at least I know what color it will be, just not what design.

Oh! I also wrote my first blog post on my website yesterday. (I've linked it so feel free to check it out. Keep in mind this is written for the perspective of customers and not soapmakers. I hope that tone is evident.) I haven't decided how often I'll be posting, but I have a decent list of topics I want to write about, so hopefully I'll be able to maintain a good writing schedule.

I'm still waiting for my WSP order. Grrrr. It was supposed to be delivered on Monday, I checked in and saw that the delivery date was changed to today. Supposedly it is out for delivery now. I'm getting impatient to start trying out shampoo bars. I've had enough conversations with people about them, that they are starting to regularly ask me if I have them done yet. Geesh! I haven't even tested out the recipes yet. Well, at least I know I'll have a test group to try them on other than myself - although I have some nervousness about messing up someone's hair.

All of what Shunt said above. I wish you well and glad you have some help

Yesterday I made a small batch of CO hot processed soap. Nothing that unusual there. The unusual happened when my soap didn't diminish in ph after cooking for 30 minutes. . . 50 minutes. . . 2 hours! For the first time ever I have a pot full of high ph soap they hardened up nicely in the mold. Has this ever happened to you? Think it will cure like CP?

Yesterday I made a small batch of CO hot processed soap. Nothing that unusual there. The unusual happened when my soap didn't diminish in ph after cooking for 30 minutes. . . 50 minutes. . . 2 hours! For the first time ever I have a pot full of high ph soap they hardened up nicely in the mold. Has this ever happened to you? Think it will cure like CP?

How are you measuring PH. PH for soap will be anywhere between 8.5-11. Still good soap. As long as it’s not lye heavy testing by a zap test I would be concerned.

I am soooooo excited! I went to the local vineyard for a wine tasting and asked to try something that was fragrant since I was considering make soap with it. The owners ears perked up and she said "You make soap?" I was then invited to be the only soap vendor at a show they are doing in November!!

Lol I dont drink often and they only give you a little but a glass and a half of wine is half a glass over for me.
HAHA, I know ;) A friend wanted me to go one on, to be the driver since I don't drink and never drank Wine.

Today I have to drive down and pick up a Pail of Palm to hold me over till the boxes come in (cheaper).

I will try and remember to take a photo after I clean it up. It is a plastic drawer from a stack of craft drawers. I only needed one drawer so that was all I took but the whole unit was out there. :)
Hi @SoapAddict415 , . here's a couple of photos of the draw I picked up on Sunday. If I clean it and line it I think it will make a starter 12 bar slab. Also, check out what I found in an opshop today.IMG_20180926_181249.jpg IMG_20180926_181242.jpgIMG_20180926_181626.jpg IMG_20180926_181457.jpg IMG_20180926_181446.jpg

Today I visited an opshop and came away with some silicon molds. I think the red one with the textured base may actually be a soap mould . I had asked my butcher if he would save me a couple of kg of beef fat and today he gave me 4.5kg. Eek, rather moreIMG_20180926_181626.jpg IMG_20180926_181457.jpg IMG_20180926_181446.jpg IMG_20180926_181219.jpg than I expected. I currently have 3 crock pots working on melting it down. Oh, by the way. That grotty table is not where I soap. It is hubby's gardening table
I have the slow cookers out there as I don't like the smell of the fat melting.

Hi @SoapAddict415 , . here's a couple of photos of the draw I picked up on Sunday. If I clean it and line it I think it will make a starter 12 bar slab. Also, check out what I found in an opshop today.View attachment 32214 View attachment 32215View attachment 32216 View attachment 32217 View attachment 32218

I wish I could say I had a soapy project, but I am in the process of building a new home and soap shop. Everything I own is packed and it is driving me crazy. So I just hit YouTube and learn.

Back