What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got over to the brewery to pick up the stout, so I boiled it off quick before I drank it all. (I *might* have taken a sip of it, omg so yummy! I will definitely be popping in next Monday when growler fills are half price to get some for me to enjoy) Masterbatched my lye. Finally got my computer back (I had left it at the other job last week and didn't go back to work until last night, it's 35 miles one way so not convenient to just pop-in and grab it) so I was able to put in the made soap from Sunday into SM3. Checked to see if any soaps are cured and ready to be packaged. I have two that are ready, one is a custom order so I will need to get an invoice sent to the customer (she's a regular, otherwise custom orders are paid upfront). Still working on the darn website, ugh. It probably wouldn't be so bad except that staring at a computer after sitting at one all day doesn't appeal to me.

Tonight will be housecleaning, soap dishes, and making the stout soap. The stout is the one that I am the most excited to make - I mean besides the fact that I love stouts, I love the fragrance oil and I'm doing an ombre design, put it all in one soap and I'm just giddy.

Very happy to report that last night I did everything I said I was going to! Housecleaning done, soapy dishes washed, and new soaps made. I'll be unmolding it at lunch, I hope. It was still quite warm when I uncovered it this morning, although it didn't seem to gel as quickly as the blonde and IPA. It smells utterly divine! The ombre design didn't go quite as smoothly as I had hoped, I think the FO contributed some acceleration but it was manageable.

Today I ordered ingredients for syndet shampoo bars. I was bumbling around the soap lab last night and stumbled across a cavity mold that I had forgotten about. Coincidentally the perfect size for shampoo bars. Took that as a sign to stop procrastinating. I spent the morning doing some price comparisons on ingredients (work is slow today) and even with ordering from three different places and paying shipping I still saved $70 if I had ordered from WSP alone. I might have thrown in a few extras in the lotioncrafter order to play with for emulsified cleansing oil, and a few FO's from Nature's Garden... sigh. I solemnly swear that next year I will work on not being an FO ho... but I was so happy with the Cherry, Cracklin' Birch, and Werewolf FO's from NG that I decided I needed to try Bite Me and Narcissist too. (Totally forgot that I also have a few FO's in my last color order from M&M... oh boy!)

This weekend I will be painting the rental house, so not sure how much soapmaking I will get around to. I would like to get my SMF challenge done, and some soap cupcakes too using the poop emoji mold for the tops instead of piping. I also have to get the November club soap made yet - I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate that one with the challenge soap, but not entirely confident of my carving skills so I think I'll do two separate soaps. I'd like to finish up the last three beer soaps for my own stock, as they sell well at Christmas time. I have two shows left for the year, so I do need to get bubble scoops made as well. And I have to package soaps this weekend too.

Yesterday I made a new soap with a new fragrance: strawberry champagne... which smells really good but really not like strawberries and champagne lol.
It went well, the batter thicken on me a bit faster than expected (first time using actual palm), but it was managable. The FO also behaved. It is a very simple soap, but i didnt want to thibk of something complicated since i didnt know how the FO was gonna do.

I want to do another soap today, probably will.

Well since I found out last week that my favorite Olive oil from Amazon was such a good deal because it's actually 80% Sunflower oil, I've reformulated my recipes and bought 2 smaller bottles of 100% EVOO (Meijer has a sale on Pompeian Olive Oil, buy 1 get 1 free). I have the place to myself tonight so I may make some 72% Olive oil soap and redo the ingredients on my labels to include the Sunflower oil or I may take a nap. It's been a long day and I'm undecided.

I vote for the nap
snort-sleep-smiley.gif
I've been testing fragrances, did Suit and Tie and Tobacco and Bay leaf last night. Smells really nice here. Today I'm gonna try piping some fringe on a blanket soap. I haven't had much luck with soap icing so we'll see how that goes.:rolleyes:

Just spent my paycheck on supplies from THREE different vendors! Oils, waxes, butters, emulsifiers, clay, preservatives... I've gone completely nutz!

PS: I hate paying shipping. :mad:

I made another soap. Yep. The big question is where am I gonna put it do dry since (again) I’m running out of space. Ops.

Well I'm very excited the hubby and me have booked our Christmas flight to see my family in the USA and will be there for around 3 weeks. Which means the next month roughly I will be making my Christmas gift soaps which will mean I'll be using up that palm and coconut oil and maybe some of the shea butter. I'll be trying to make a Guinness Soap along with a higher supperfatted soap with shea/cocoa butter in it for those who have dry skin so it does not make them feel overly dried out along with making some whipped shea & cocoa body butter to go with it.

So my soapy things today is figure out how to do a beer soap (should not be so hard) and formulate a nice medium cleaning higher supperfatted soap.. is 15% to high for a soap with 15-20% coconut oil?

Well I'm very excited the hubby and me have booked our Christmas flight to see my family in the USA and will be there for around 3 weeks. Which means the next month roughly I will be making my Christmas gift soaps which will mean I'll be using up that palm and coconut oil and maybe some of the shea butter. I'll be trying to make a Guinness Soap along with a higher supperfatted soap with shea/cocoa butter in it for those who have dry skin so it does not make them feel overly dried out along with making some whipped shea & cocoa body butter to go with it.

So my soapy things today is figure out how to do a beer soap (should not be so hard) and formulate a nice medium cleaning higher supperfatted soap.. is 15% to high for a soap with 15-20% coconut oil?

You can try it but my 15-20% CO recipes I only SF at 5-6%. I don’t want a lot of excess oils in my soaps.

I made my second batch of cphp soap the other day, and got too busy to post.. it cracked, but it was soft enough to squish together (silicone mold). I definitely need wooden molds!!

Since I live in hard water land, I used a few conditioning ingredients- in all, coconut, palm, castor, and argan oils.. also shea and cocoa butters. Fragranced with BB Grapefruit Bellini, and coloured with pink Brazilian clay.. I definitely love the fragrance, and love that BB FOs are all phthalate free now!! My goal, though, is to move into EOs fir fragrances, but FOs are way more reasonably priced for the learning curve stage! Making these for myself, my daughter, and holiday gifts!

Attachments

• 20180915_071419.jpg
    20180915_071419.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 11
You can try it but my 15-20% CO recipes I only SF at 5-6%. I don’t want a lot of excess oils in my soaps.
it's not to drying? just thinking of winter skin as I hear if you super fat on the higher side it might help leave some oil "moisture" behind. this is mostly for the guys as they don't like lotion they feel too"girly" if they use it. Think I'll do two different 2 tone soaps and only using light/cream coloured oils,butters & fats for it so I end up with blue and light cream soap and a yellow and light cream colour soap. I'm debating wither I only scent half of the soap and leave the other half unscented so it's not over powering?.. But I now have to put off soap making for today as the store I wanted to go to for some new mixing jugs etc is now closed that is a big down side to some stores in the UK specially on Sunday almost all stores are closed by 5pm.

I took a soap out of a new mold
Bud I am not sure how I like to cut it,so I left it after the first cut
I will have to do it though because he is so hard already (slided right out of the mold after just 7 hours)
And I made a wooden mold myself
And bought some oils and spirulina..hoping it will color my soap bud won't make it smell

Latest posts

Back