What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local hardware store is completely out of lye !!!! Maybe just as well as I'm procrastinating about soap size & shape. If it was up to me I would make loaves but a few of my clients (I only have a few as I haven't been soaping that long) love the smaller silicone shapes I have (makes 6)..... its a good learning curve but all I want to do is make soap! Lots of it :)
Maybe you should wait a bit longer if you haven't been selling long. Have a read of this
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/are-you-ready-to-sell-your-soap.16002/

Well done! I've tried making a wood grain soap and failed miserably.
It wasn't without its learning experience. The technique is really simple. The execution not to bad. I poured a bit of the muddied colours in the last pour so had to plane the top. The youtube was all in Chinese so really it is all about being able to copy. If you want the link let me know.

two batches of my dreamy milk soap ; buttermilk, zinc oxide, and water orchid scented not color just white from zinc oxide

Placed two large orders for supplies, ordered 4 small molds for fragrance testing and hoping to make some soap this weekend. Also need to fill a large sugar scrub order for early next week.

Last night I realized that I hadn't posted any videos on YouTube in over a week - I have a large queue of videos that need to be edited - so I sat down and edited a make and a cut video. They should be posted today. Also realized I have more videos saved on the device that haven't been uploaded, so trying to get that done. I have to wait until everyone is in bed, or in the morning after everyone has left, as the kids use up too much bandwidth with their online gaming to upload videos. Dang kids are ruining my career as a YouTube star, lol.

I made soap last night :) I decided to wing a soap design - usually not my style, as I like to plan out what I'm going to do before I make the soap, including sketching it out (yep, I sketch out ITPS... I'm weird...). This one I had an idea of what colors I wanted the soap to be, but wasn't really sure what I was going to do with them. I made an on the spot decision while I mixing up the colors and just did it. Crazy (for me) but I think it worked! At least, I didn't see any issues during the pour. I will get to cut this soap at lunch because it gelled hard during the night. I checked the soap an hour after pouring and it was starting to rise in the mold and it was HOT, so I uninsulated it. This morning I was able to unmold it and the freezer paper just fell away from the soap, it was so hard and smooth. I probably could have cut it this morning, but I had to take the daughter to school so I didn't have enough time. Is it lunch time yet?

Tonight I would like to make beer soap, but I think I have to make my monthly run to Brookings for deliveries. It usually ends up being an all evening thing as I stop and have dinner with a friend from high school. We've missed having dinner the last two months because I didn't have any orders one month, and last month we stopped in on our way through town coming home from a show, so we were hot and tired, it was quick deliver soap, stop in and say hi. She's the one responsible for me making leg lamp soaps, so I needed to get the mold from her. We are long overdue for a chat. Maybe tomorrow night will be beer soap.

Cant wait to see your winged soap!

I unmolded my pvc pipe soap i did with an impression mat lining. Not too bad. Need to wait a while to cut it though. Here is a pic of the impressions.

20180918_094915.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks way better than the one time I tried it! I made a huge mess out of trying to get it out of the pvc. The liner and soap did not want to come out together, and the soap was too soft so the liner kind of pulled out without the soap, but then it was sticking to the pvc too... I think that was the first time I ever cried over soap. Did you line the mold with anything before you put the silicone liner in?

The impression mat is not silicone it's kind of a thin flexible plastic which I was able to roll to fit the pipe. Probably easier to remove than silicone. I hot process my soap so after I pour it I put it in the freezer and that may be why I was able to get it out of the mold so easily. This is my 2nd time using the PVC pipe and the 1st time I used parchment paper instead of freezer paper. Parchment paper is a lot more slippery and it didn't take much effort to push it out of the mold so that might be a better option too.

Planning a batch for today...maybe two depending on how much lard I have. I have a couple ideas for holiday soaps and I need to get them underway, but of course I'm a FO ho and just want to use all my new pretty FOs.

Just waiting for the lye and oils to cool before I combine but im having a mega dilemma with trying to decide what scent to use am thinking peppermint and eucalyptus but if not got to the point of knowing how much to use in a combination of eo so will probably go for another strawberry and cream batch. this is my first try at making a soap with clay in using french pink clay and not going for anything fancy with this one just one colour whatever it turns out I'll be happy with it being plain. might even leave it unscented as it'll be whatever colour it'll be

Well that was possibly the worse batch iv made I know someone helped and gave me advice on adding clay not long ago and I wish I had listened because the recipe i followed added it to the oils minus water from the recipe i did intend to use the advice given on here but unfortunately I forgot about it until I had already mixed the lye water. it got to trace very quickly and turned lumpy so that might be a ditched batch when it's ready for release from moulds :(:mad:

Last day to get soap made before returning to the parents this Thursday. My day did not start out so great when the hospital called me at 5am wondering why no one was in emergency with my Mom. Apparently she fell at midnight and my sister sent her by ambulance. Mom took a bad fall but fortunetly did not break anything although she received several stitches in just under her elbow but falling against the metal handle on the shower door. Not really sure what good my sister is when it really comes to helping :(. Anyhoo back to the original point

I managed to get 5 batches done today, DB & Peppermint, Lavender & Rosemary, Jasmine mixed with Grapefruit Dreamsicle; Deadly Weapon, and Big Sur with pumice and soy scrub. My daughter wanted a really scrubby soap and Big Sur is her all time favorite. It will be interesting to see if it sells. I also managed to pour a 1lb test batch of Mimosa, but have a feeling it will not stick. Shall see. At least I got something done :D Forgot to add that most were in the pot swirl since I really did not have time to play around.

Off to clean up and cook dinner

Last day to get soap made before returning to the parents this Thursday. My day did not start out so great when the hospital called me at 5am wondering why no one was in emergency with my Mom. Apparently she fell at midnight and my sister sent her by ambulance. Mom took a bad fall but fortunetly did not break anything although she received several stitches in just under her elbow but falling against the metal handle on the shower door. Not really sure what good my sister is when it really comes to helping :(. Anyhoo back to the original point

I managed to get 5 batches done today, DB & Peppermint, Lavender & Rosemary, Jasmine mixed with Grapefruit Dreamsicle; Deadly Weapon, and Big Sur with pumice and soy scrub. My daughter wanted a really scrubby soap and Big Sur is her all time favorite. It will be interesting to see if it sells. I also managed to pour a 1lb test batch of Mimosa, but have a feeling it will not stick. Shall see. At least I got something done :D Forgot to add that most were in the pot swirl since I really did not have time to play around.

Off to clean up and cook dinner

Sounds like a productive day. Sorry about your mom. Hope she heals quickly. You’re a good daughter. [emoji3]

@cmzaha It's probably a good thing you will be going back, it sounds like they need a bit more care than your sister can handle, although I know you need the breaks too. It's not easy work and you are a real angel for doing it. Will keep you guys in prayers.

I made yuzu scented soap tonight and I gotta say I am pretty disappointed with the nurture soap vibrance collection. To me when you say vibrance it means that the colors are vibrant. I wanted yellow white and Orange and I had to use so much of the Orange I almost used the entire 5 g plus I had to add mango Tango to a small batch of soap.
View attachment 32089
I have never had any luck with the "Vibrance Collection". None seem to be vibrant

@cmzaha It's probably a good thing you will be going back, it sounds like they need a bit more care than your sister can handle, although I know you need the breaks too. It's not easy work and you are a real angel for doing it. Will keep you guys in prayers.
Thankyou, I also forgot to mention, when I got mom home my sister fell and I had to get her up :eek: She is on to many "legal" drugs...

@cmzaha Sorry about your mom’s fall. I hope she is doing okay and glad it wasn’t worse. It could have been a terrible accident.

@msunnerstood Orange is a hard color. Vibrance Orange needs a little boost. If you have any neon orange a touch of that helps. I’ve found the Atomic orange is brighter. FWIW I’ve had good luck with the Vibrance Pink and Blue micas.

Latest posts

Back