What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do hope you'll post pictures.
YOu know, I usually have to add yogurt to make my soap more fluid. Tonight I didnt and the dang batter was just not firming up lol. I had to let it cool a bit until it got somewhat waxy, then do it. I made just a small batch for a test and some turned out pretty good. Pics in a few

Ok here is a pic. There is a little shadow and the soap is still warm so the orange will likely lighten up.

scoops.jpg

Cut the bamboo teak beer soap yesterday over lunch. Usually I can't cut that soon, but this one was at perfect consistency. I am really happy with how the soap turned out - the fragrance played nice, so far the soap smells great, and they look good despite the planing! I am highly recommending Crafters Choice Bamboo Teak FO for anyone looking for a clean unisex scent.

I made a second beer soap last night, both of these beer soaps are for my Christmas stock. I checked on the new soap this morning and it was still in full gel. The FO for that one does accelerate, last year when I made it I barely had time to get it into the mold before it setup. This year it was a bit more workable - not sure if that's because I'm soaping closer to room temps now that I masterbatch my lye or just how it went last night. I wanted to do 4lbs, but with the acceleration I was nervous about being able to get it all in, so I only did 2lbs with the plan to do a second 2lb batch over the weekend so I will be able to compare the two soaping experiences. I tried to do a gold mica swirl on the top, but the soap really sets up too fast for the mica to absorb properly, so it was all blobby looking this morning. I won't be doing that with the second batch.

I've been replacing the strings in my bar cutter and I had something screwed up so when I cut the soaps, they cut crooked. Minor planing to fix it, but I was a tad bit frustrated. Dinking around with cutter is outside of my patience skill set (you'd think soapmaking would have improved my patience, right??) so I had to wait until Chris got home to help me figure out what was wrong. Apparently there is a right way and a wrong way to wrap the wire on the cutter. I have mastered the wrong way. So, I did manage to get a few more strings replaced before dinner. I won't be able to replace all of them as I don't have enough strings, and I'm too lazy to run down to music store. Well, not really, they keep weird hours so it's really inconvenient to try to get there when they are open. I'll have to look online, or have Chris do it - he should remember where he got them from to begin with, right? R-iiiiiii-ght.

I finished painting the lamp legs. Whew! They look much better now that I have the technique mastered and did some cleaning up on them. I'm doodling notes at work today for the soap designs and I'll make those tomorrow morning - unless I decide to go to the coffee shop to catch up on my bookwork - in which case I will probably do the soap tomorrow afternoon. I have to get the recipes into SM3 and get the customer's approval on the cost first, but she's pretty quick to reply.

Tonight I will be cutting the newest beer soap, making sure I have everything rounded up for the wholesale meeting tomorrow. I think it is going to go well. Chris and I had a mini date last night at the brewery because they had a guest brewer in house. The owner stopped over to chat for a few minutes and said how excited he was for the meeting tomorrow. I have soap dishes to do tonight, and finishing up my month-end stuff. I'm trying to figure out how to make a Halloween eyeball soap, so I might sketch out some thoughts on that.

Sorry... I'm rambly today... lots of soapy stuff on mind.... or more than usual, I guess.

Those are really cute! What size scoop did you use?
I used the standard size ice cream scoop. from what I can tell the scoop is a 2 oz scoop.. I am going to weigh the soap today to see what that translates into for soap.

eta: Today they weigh in the area of 2.5 ounces. but im guessing they will be a smidge lighter after cure. I think the size is good and will probably sell them in pairs.

Last edited:
Apparently there is a right way and a wrong way to wrap the wire on the cutter. I have mastered the wrong way. So, I did manage to get a few more strings replaced before dinner. I won't be able to replace all of them as I don't have enough strings, and I'm too lazy to run down to music store. Well, not really, they keep weird hours so it's really inconvenient to try to get there when they are open. I'll have to look online, or have Chris do it - he should remember where he got them from to begin with, right? R-iiiiiii-ght.

Good to know!

There is a right way and wrong way to put a belt on a beater bar in a vacuum cleaner, too. My husband has mastered the wrong way, but doesn't get it. I had to learn from the Oreck guy who works on it for me once in awhile. To know it's on the right way is fairly easy. If the vacuum doesn't self-propel (drive itself forward) on a hardwood or tile floor, the belt is on the wrong way and needs to be turned around.

So how do you know when you've got the strings on the cutter the wrong way? Do you have to cut wonky soap to figure it out or is there an easier way to figure it out?

So how do you know when you've got the strings on the cutter the wrong way? Do you have to cut wonky soap to figure it out or is there an easier way to figure it out?

For my cutter (I wish I had a picture of it, but if you check out my soap cutting videos you can see it) if the wires are wrapped on the wrong way, the wires don't line up with the slots and will stop at the top of the front wood piece. Unfortunately, before this happens the wires have already started to cut soap so it's not an adjustment I can make if I catch it while cutting soap. I just need to remember to check it before I start cutting soap (e.g. when I replace the wires) and all will be well.

I went home for lunch and my beer soap is STILL in gel phase, it's hot and translucent! Should I be worried? I have never had a soap stay in gel this long. I turned the fan on it. I was too scared to take it out of the mold though.

I wrapped soap, if I could hire someone to do it for me I would.. I hate wrapping soap

Wish I was closer or I would take you up on that offer. I love wrapping soap; it’s a mindless task that lets my mind wander.

I cut two batches of soap I made yesterday (Peppermint Stick and Black Raspberry) and made a new batch using odds and ends of “outdoorsy”scents. It’s a camo pour that I hope will sell well during hunting season. So, a new fragrance and colors I don’t really like. We’ll have to wait and see what unmolding brings.

Back