What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made some Tobacco Vanille soap for my boyfriend (and, by extension, me...it smells so good) and did some soap dishes. I measured oils for soaping tomorrow. I can’t decide what FO though!! I’m thinking 8th and Ocean from Nurture.

Anyway, here’s Tobacco Vanille.
IMG_9085.jpg
IMG_9088.jpg

Cut my Frosty Snowball soap. It doesn’t have nearly as many embed snowballs as it looked when I was tossing them in. Why is that always the case? Not cooking dinner tonight because I tied up the kitchen counter with brine bars I thought were going to solidify as I put them in the molds. I think perhaps I should have stick blended a bit longer because these have been sitting 30 minutes and are still soupy. Every other time I’ve made them they have solidified almost immediately so I was pretty tentative. They haven’t separated so I think I just need to be patient.

Beautiful, Misschief.

Oops, I forgot to hit the 'post reply' button.

My soapy stuff today: Posted the Entry thread, which I see Misschief has found. Another gorgeous soap, Misschief.

Other than that, since my sciatica is not allowing me a lot of pain-free movement, I won't be doing much else today. It's not as bad as yesterday, though, so at least I am on the mend.

Beautiful, Misschief.

Oops, I forgot to hit the 'post reply' button.

My soapy stuff today: Posted the Entry thread, which I see Misschief has found. Another gorgeous soap, Misschief.

Other than that, since my sciatica is not allowing me a lot of pain-free movement, I won't be doing much else today. It's not as bad as yesterday, though, so at least I am on the mend.
I wanted to get my entry in before I had to leave for the market.

Hopefully, you're on the mend, earlene.

Friday: reorganized soap display and stock totes for show. It was a huge help for setup and tear down on Saturday, so worth the time.

Saturday: had my last outdoor show for the year. Whew! Definitely doing fewer shows next year. I'm exhausted.

Sunday: Successfully made the peach poppy buttermilk soap. Amazing what happens when one doesn't make bad decisions with an accelerating FO. It's in the fridge being cool, I'll probably pull it out at lunch (the fridge is a bit colder than normal because it is our beer fridge, and my husband is particular about the temps). I had the soaping bug and wanted to make two beer soaps, but I was out of pre-mixed lye. Instead I messed with my video setup and reorganized some of the shelves, tossed out a bunch of ingredients that weren't being used and had expired. (Honestly, they shouldn't have been moved from the old house...) So I have one shelf out of five reorganized. Goal is to have that done by year end.

Today: Not sure if I will cut the peach poppy soap or let it sit for another day. It depends if it heats up when I pull it out of the fridge or not. I will probably masterbatch some lye over my lunch break. It won't be cooled enough to make soap tonight, but I have other things to do... I have to retake the photos I took last week. They looked fine on my phone, but once I got them into editor they were horrible. Oh, and photograph my challenge entry. Maybe do some video editing.

I did some major reorganizing of my soap racks, and can't believe how much room I now have. I had so many 'keep to observe and see how long the FO lasts' that were more than a year old. Chucked almost all of them. Prepped for a double batch to do in the morning. And planed some soaps, still too many to do. I don't know why, but that is something I really don't like doing. It's kind of down there with washing soaping dishes for me.

I tried liquid soap for the first time, and made a superfatted liquid "something"!

It didn't ever reach mashed potato stage, after 5 hours of cooking. It worked as liquid soap, or sort of, but not as good as I had been expecting.

I started searching for problems and answers on this forum, and found the exact thing that had happened to me: I was using a bamix brand stick blender and its aluminium end had reacted with my KOH, and so all my fine measurements were for nought!

So I calculated back and added another 4 grams KOH to some hot water, heated the gooey batch, stirred in lye solution as best I could, and hey presto - translucent mashed potato soap appears!

<3 <3 Thanks to all who give their wisdom to the forum! <3 <3

And here's the goats milk cold process soap, awaiting to harden up a bit:
39044768_10156773938804286_2986855360129662976_n.jpg

I tried liquid soap for the first time, and made a superfatted liquid "something"!

It didn't ever reach mashed potato stage, after 5 hours of cooking. It worked as liquid soap, or sort of, but not as good as I had been expecting.

I started searching for problems and answers on this forum, and found the exact thing that had happened to me: I was using a bamix brand stick blender and its aluminium end had reacted with my KOH, and so all my fine measurements were for nought!

So I calculated back and added another 4 grams KOH to some hot water, heated the gooey batch, stirred in lye solution as best I could, and hey presto - translucent mashed potato soap appears!

<3 <3 Thanks to all who give their wisdom to the forum! <3 <3

And here's the goats milk cold process soap, awaiting to harden up a bit:
39044768_10156773938804286_2986855360129662976_n.jpg
Beautiful soaps but I wouldn't put them on those metal racks. You're just asking for DOS.

I have 20 minutes before I have to leave for work and I'm contemplating prepping for a batch of Winter Dreams soap. Something minor has gone wrong during my last 3 attempts to make soap so I'm a little nervous about trying again.

Back