What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, not bad for a first attempt with a divider. Just cut this morning.
Im thinking about buying a mold that has one built in so i dont have to try and hold it straight.

Attachments

• 20180630_072413.jpg
    20180630_072413.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 28
That's pretty msunnerstood! Are you using cardboard for your divider? Working in a print/sign shop, I have access to all sorts of things. My boss gave me a scrap of Sintra (pvc board) which I cut down to fit my mold as a divider. It might be an idea to check with a local sign shop to see if they have any scrap pieces that would work. It works really well and is reusable. If necessary, I hold it in place with elastic bands.

That's beautiful Misschief, and I bet they smell good too. It sounds like a nice combination. Isn't it just the best when you cut a loaf and love what is inside? It never gets old :)

SO true! It does smell really, really good. I've made a note of that combination; I don't want to forget it. This has been a great soaping weekend. I think I'll make another batch today... this one will be called Shatter and is a collaboration with my husband; the original idea is his.

I'm sure some of you know what Shatter is, right? (It's a cannabis concentrate that looks like melted, slightly caramelized sugar.) I'll be making the Shatter embeds with M&P and scenting the soap with a combination of champaka and patchouli.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even the 'For Sale' signs at various places are really really inexpensive, made of corrugated plastic (which I think is the same thing Misschief is speaking of in her above comment) and easily cut with a box cutter. For under $2 I bought one without wording to use for soap making purposes. If you look around Dollar stores, Hardware stores, etc. you may find one for a decent price. The box cutter would probably cost me more than the corrugated plastic, as a matter of fact.

Misschief, I can't wait to see your collaborative Shatter Soap!

Even the 'For Sale' signs at various places are really really inexpensive, made of corrugated plastic (which I think is the same thing Misschief is speaking of in her above comment) and easily cut with a box cutter. For under $2 I bought one without wording to use for soap making purposes. If you look around Dollar stores, Hardware stores, etc. you may find one for a decent price. The box cutter would probably cost me more than the corrugated plastic, as a matter of fact.

This is not like the corrugated plastic, earlene. It's a solid piece of pvc, about 1/8" thick, more durable than Coro.

This is not like the corrugated plastic, earlene. It's a solid piece of pvc, about 1/8" thick, more durable than Coro.

Oh, my mistake. That's pretty cool that you get such nice stuff from your boss. I see I didn't read your post with full comprehension. I'm sure my HS English teacher would mark me down for comprehension. I wish I knew where to buy flat PVC for cheap. And how to cut it or to get it cut. It sounds pretty handy.

Oh, my mistake. That's pretty cool that you get such nice stuff from your boss. I see I didn't read your post with full comprehension. I'm sure my HS English teacher would mark me down for comprehension. I wish I knew where to buy flat PVC for cheap. And how to cut it or to get it cut. It sounds pretty handy.

Check with a local sign shop. The piece I have was a piece that was destined for the garbage, too small to do anything with but big enough for me to cut down to fit my mold.

That's pretty msunnerstood! Are you using cardboard for your divider? Working in a print/sign shop, I have access to all sorts of things. My boss gave me a scrap of Sintra (pvc board) which I cut down to fit my mold as a divider. It might be an idea to check with a local sign shop to see if they have any scrap pieces that would work. It works really well and is reusable. If necessary, I hold it in place with elastic bands.
Great Idea! Yeah it was cardboard. It was what I had on hand, little bugger kept moving with the soap. I imagine I could have also used bands to place the hearts at the right intervals. Im going to do that next time so they are aligned for the cut.

I am SO pleased right now. I just cut my Lemongrass & Green Tea soap. It is everything I had envisioned. And it smells amazing! *Doing a little happy dance!* :hippo::hippo::hippo:

The Aztec Gold mica lines give it just the perfect pop of colour and the green came out even better than I'd anticipated. I am so happy with this soap! (I know you all understand, right?)

WOW, love it....that is also one of my personal favorite scents. Well done

Lovely, Ladylather!
Thank You :)

Scraped out the ugliest dryesf bits of the chicken soap. Can anyone say “rustic”? Cause i think this looks like the definition of it. Made a small ball with the scraps. At least it smells pretty because it doesnt look pretty at all. And the color doesnt help!
IMG_8907.jpg

More shrink-wrapping going on today. I did some labels yesterday. Setting up all over again took me quite awhile. This time, though I had the sense to write down details AND save that design to my free avery account. This morning I had to figure out how to load what I saved so next time I want to use it, I can just edit it and not waste hours re-designing it all over again. Then I saved that to my browser favorites so I can find it again. I wish I had software on my computer to do this and didn't have to depend on the internet to make these kinds of things work. It would be so much easier!

This morning filling time with shrink-wrapping while waiting for my car to be finished so I can get it back and drive again. I hate being without my car! On my way back, I plan to stop at a store to find some different colored paper for printing labels. My stock of pretty colors is running low. I kind of like the colors to match the soap, and I just don't have much variety left at this point.
If you happen to have Microsoft Publisher it works great for labels. At least it does for me. My daughter always used Pic Monkey, but it is subscription only I believe. She designed some really neat cards and labels using Pic Monkey

Scraped out the ugliest dryesf bits of the chicken soap. Can anyone say “rustic”? Cause i think this looks like the definition of it. Made a small ball with the scraps. At least it smells pretty because it doesnt look pretty at all. And the color doesnt help!
View attachment 30990
I think it looks perfect for a chicken soap. I have used chicken fat in cp and it seems to slow trace nicely, I think I used it at 20%

If you happen to have Microsoft Publisher it works great for labels. At least it does for me. My daughter always used Pic Monkey, but it is subscription only I believe. She designed some really neat cards and labels using Pic Monkey
I use Publisher as well. I also use it to design Missing Person Billboards. Its flexible and easy to use.

I buy sheets of PVC for customers every week (my day job) and it never occurred to me to use it soaping. Dang! yesterday I bought 3/8" 4x8 sheets for $65.00. Wonder if I could get my husband to cut it down..........;)

I think it looks perfect for a chicken soap. I have used chicken fat in cp and it seems to slow trace nicely, I think I used it at 20%

Since the FO accelerates like crazy I didnt get a slow trace even with the chicken. I used it at 25% (and I still have a bunch left so I see more chicken soap in my future [emoji38])

Since the FO accelerates like crazy I didnt get a slow trace even with the chicken. I used it at 25% (and I still have a bunch left so I see more chicken soap in my future [emoji38])
I really liked the chicken fat in my soap. In fact I am saving some skin and fat I trim off to render some more. Usually it is just fat I get off my chicken soup

Thanks, Carolyn. I think Publisher is included in the package hubby gave me recently, but I haven't yet installed it, so am not positive. I really should get around to installing it, shouldn't I?

Those are beautiful Terri E!
I went into the kitchen with the plan of making sample sized bars for Ken to give away next month when he volunteers at the homeless shelter. What I ended up doing was everything but make soap lol. But on the plus side the kitchen, my soaping area and all of my soaping dishes are clean! I was able to prep my mini molds. Now I just have to put away all of the soaping stuff that I washed so I can have room to actually make soap. It's just so hot & humid today (even with the a/c on), I may just sit and work on label ideas.

Those are beautiful Terri E!
I went into the kitchen with the plan of making sample sized bars for Ken to give away next month when he volunteers at the homeless shelter. What I ended up doing was everything but make soap lol. But on the plus side the kitchen, my soaping area and all of my soaping dishes are clean! I was able to prep my mini molds. Now I just have to put away all of the soaping stuff that I washed so I can have room to actually make soap. It's just so hot & humid today (even with the a/c on), I may just sit and work on label ideas.
Thank you! Ken sounds like a wonderful guy and you are so caring making soap for them :) Hot and humid here in the mountains as well :(

Latest posts

Back