What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah I didn't know that, ty.
You changed your Avatar, Adorable !
I like the black, lol I don't like pink tho hahahha but I think it works ! Give it a Buff and see if it looks better?

Last night I did Salt Cakes
View attachment 30932
Those are really cute! We recently moved to a very rural area so that picture is me sitting in the middle of the highway.

I finished shrink wrapping the soaps I had brought downstairs to get done. Some already had labels I printed in a test of the online feature at avery.com using the 8217 template. Even though it took several attempts to print a page of labels to fit the size soap they were for, I really liked how they turned out. Anyway, when I shrink-wrapped those soaps I put labels inside the shrink wrap. Of course after I was done, I realize I left the weight of the soap off (I had simply used a blank space and had planned to write in the weight later). Well, if I choose to give any of these ones away, I can deal with that part later. :rolleyes:

Just a reminder, I don't sell. For me this is simply a creative outlet and an expensive hobby. :cool:

So this morning I could remember what template I used and couldn't find the SMF thread where I learned about that particular template (out of the seeminly thousands avery has), but luckily I do keep my browser history, so with a short little search of that I found the template. Now I want to design more labels for the soaps I already shrink wrapped.

Once designed, I hope to print off and apply labels much faster than my old hand-written labels process. I like the look of my hand-written ones, but it's a lengthy process and always leads to hand cramping. So I am switching to printed labels to save my hands and time.

So today's agenda is label making for my soapy thing. And maybe other soapy stuff. We shall see.

Guys, I am in LOVE. This soap turned out so pretty on top!!!!!!
IMG_8779.jpg
IMG_8778.jpg

Also, my Nurture order came with a free sample of a fragrance oil and it smells fantastic!! I’m having a great soap day today. I hope you all are too!!!

Thank you both!!!! I will def post cut pics tomorrow. It traced up really fast on me, not sure if it was my recipe (possible) or the FO (which said no acceleration) so the swirl might be pretty lackluster. I had planned to do an ITP swirl buttttttt that became “oh god glop it into the mold what can I grab...uhhh...chopstick sure” and frantically twirling a chopstick in the mold lololol

i ran errands before work this morning! dr, post office, walmart- i was just about out of lard and the tallow shortening, was delighted to find that this particular walmart actually stocks the shortening so i dont have to order it online! 32 lbs of beautiful scooping fatty goodness!

Im making my first Walmart Shortening Soap! (Those who saw my prior posts know what Im doing right now lol) Ive been wanting to try shortening in my soaps but originally couldnt find the right version.
Wish me luck!

i think you're really going to like it- i've been so happy with it! good luck!

i ran errands before work this morning! dr, post office, walmart- i was just about out of lard and the tallow shortening, was delighted to find that this particular walmart actually stocks the shortening so i dont have to order it online! 32 lbs of beautiful scooping fatty goodness!

i think you're really going to like it- i've been so happy with it! good luck!
I liked the soap, but I cant use it or make it again. I knew I had trouble breathing when frying hamburgers or steak (I Have to leave the room) what I didnt know was it wasnt necessarily the grease. I had the same reaction when making the soap, to the point that I was up all night coughing. I didnt make the connection until I picked up a bar to smell it and went into a spasm. its not the fragrance or other oils because ive used all of those before. Just never knew I could be allergic/sensitive to this.

Its too bad because I really liked it.

Is it the Brand ? @msunnerstood

I did some more Salt Cakes, labeled/wrapped the ones from last night.
Mailed my first sold online soap, walmart trip.

I think I have all the soap packed in their boxes for the FM saturday.

Tomorrow I need to get another 6 foot table, go charge up the Electric car, then pack it up at night so I won't be stupid Sat morning.

@Lin19687 I got impatient and cut the bars just a little bit ago. I’m bad, I know lol. But they were very easy to unmold and were solid all the way through! Probably has something to do with how hot they got (one cracked...oopsies). Anyway, here are the underwhelming cut pics!! Like I said, I had to plop it into the molds so the swirl is not what I wanted. I’ll try again with a slower moving batter next time!!

IMG_8797.jpg

Is it the Brand ? @msunnerstood

I did some more Salt Cakes, labeled/wrapped the ones from last night.
Mailed my first sold online soap, walmart trip.

I think I have all the soap packed in their boxes for the FM saturday.

Tomorrow I need to get another 6 foot table, go charge up the Electric car, then pack it up at night so I won't be stupid Sat morning.
Its the walmart brand with beef tallow. I think its the tallow.
Id like to try salt bars sometime. Ill have to do some reading about how first.

@Lin19687 I got impatient and cut the bars just a little bit ago. I’m bad, I know lol. But they were very easy to unmold and were solid all the way through! Probably has something to do with how hot they got (one cracked...oopsies). Anyway, here are the underwhelming cut pics!! Like I said, I had to plop it into the molds so the swirl is not what I wanted. I’ll try again with a slower moving batter next time!!

View attachment 30953
Still very pretty

Last edited by a moderator:
@steffamarie Hey at least you got a swirl too bad you didn't pick a light red color !
Last time I did that, I got this.
View attachment 30956
I actually think that looks really nice! It reminds me of my dad, actually. He has a shirt that he wears CONSTANTLY that's that same color. :)
I'm gonna fiddle around with my recipe some - I soaped just above room temp and maybe I got a little overzealous with the SB but I think mostly the problem is my recipe. I'll cut back the hard oils and see where that gets me!!

I cut my Tobacco Leaves soap last night. I made it for a challenge on the Ravelry soapmaking group. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The only thing that puzzles me is the yellow. That's plain batter with a bit of TD to keep it......... white.

Attachments

• Embed Challenge soap.jpg
    Embed Challenge soap.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 18
More shrink-wrapping going on today. I did some labels yesterday. Setting up all over again took me quite awhile. This time, though I had the sense to write down details AND save that design to my free avery account. This morning I had to figure out how to load what I saved so next time I want to use it, I can just edit it and not waste hours re-designing it all over again. Then I saved that to my browser favorites so I can find it again. I wish I had software on my computer to do this and didn't have to depend on the internet to make these kinds of things work. It would be so much easier!

This morning filling time with shrink-wrapping while waiting for my car to be finished so I can get it back and drive again. I hate being without my car! On my way back, I plan to stop at a store to find some different colored paper for printing labels. My stock of pretty colors is running low. I kind of like the colors to match the soap, and I just don't have much variety left at this point.

Back