What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally!

Attachments

• wisteria2.jpg
    wisteria2.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 12
I have oil and lye water all ready to go for two more batches tonight

At what point do I turn off the heating pad on my resting soaps?
My heating pad has an auto shut-off at about an hour...I checked my soaps every 20 minutes to make sure they weren't overheating and left it to shut off on its own, then kept it covered with towels until this morning :)

@msunnerstood @Lin19687 here in STL, I got Walmart brand GV Crisco with palm in it - soybean as the first ingredient as well. I didn't check the name brand though

Last edited by a moderator:
@msunnerstood @Lin19687 here in STL, I got Walmart brand GV Crisco with palm in it - soybean as the first ingredient as well. I didn't check the name brand though
Really? I have Walmart savings catcher bucks I can use. Never thought of great value. Ill check it out Thank you!

I found it and Yep, I giggled like a school Girl! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, we all know that smell but darn it, it's Fabulous !

Both those soaps look yummy ! I didn't color either 'cuz this was a recipe tester and figured I would test out the FO while I was there.

Really? I have Walmart savings catcher bucks I can use. Never thought of great value. Ill check it out Thank you!

I found it and Yep, I giggled like a school Girl! Thank you!

Yay for the criscolookalike!

I finally got sweet almond oil (the pharmacy i knew carried it was out of stock until today) and also got some more castor.
Bonus points because the brand is based like two streets away from my grandparents house in Oax. i feel like i am supporting the local economy now.

I am sure many people agree with me .. just sometimes the loudest voices dont hear the shyer people defend themselves
I agree.
I am sure Lin19687 has a lot of knowledge to share. for me it is about backing up you opinion..not just having one
Well said. But then there is that "SMF consensus mentality" ... it makes some think they have a right to be rude. <sigh> But they are to be forgiven... they know not how hurtful it can be.
Hopefully, my post was useful for people!
Yes, it was! I found the links very informative. It's been a long time since I researched HP and tried it and decided early on that HP wasn't for me... I didn't care for the "rustic" finish vs the smooth texture of CP. I've definitely changed my thinking. Thank you!
...anybody have suggestions for a high resin soap to avoid false trace?
LOL Yes, of course I do!!! But here we go again... I'm wondering if this discussion might deserve it's own thread??? ;)

Last edited:
How are you making soap to sell so quickly? Are you making liquid soap? Just curious. Also, please go to the introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself. Welcome!!!
@ Tinak: Ditto what Shari said. I would love to know more about you, and I'm sure others would too! ...where you hail from, soapmaking experience, and any other little tidbits you care to share.

I masterbatched 36lbs of oil: 12lbs of my regular recipe, 12lbs with 1% stearic acid, and 12lbs with RBO in place of OO.

I picked up a growler from a local brewery (quite literally around the corner from my house), to play with beer soap. I've made a few beer soaps and my success rate is all over the map, so I'm going to focus my attention a bit to be able to nail it. I would really like to go to the brewery and offer them a wholesale deal, but I'm nervous about doing it until I can get a consistent result.

A friend contacted me about doing soap favors for her wedding... the end of July. I'm on the fence about doing it. She only wants around 20 very small soap favors (for her very small wedding). She wants ocean themed soap shapes in a "Jamaica type" fragrance. I happen to have 30 unscented sea turtles, starfish, and sea horses made from my aborted attempt at the soap dough challenge, so if I can get her to agree to something like a small piped rosette with the shapes embedded on top, I can make that very quickly. She's have her ocean theme and scented soap, and probably a more useable shape too. I have to have them done today though. They'll be barely 4 weeks old by the wedding, and I'd be hedging my bets that people wouldn't take them home and use them right away, so it might still be a good opportunity to get soap out there. I'd appreciate some opinions if anyone has them.

I masterbatched 36lbs of oil: 12lbs of my regular recipe, 12lbs with 1% stearic acid, and 12lbs with RBO in place of OO.

I picked up a growler from a local brewery (quite literally around the corner from my house), to play with beer soap. I've made a few beer soaps and my success rate is all over the map, so I'm going to focus my attention a bit to be able to nail it. I would really like to go to the brewery and offer them a wholesale deal, but I'm nervous about doing it until I can get a consistent result.

A friend contacted me about doing soap favors for her wedding... the end of July. I'm on the fence about doing it. She only wants around 20 very small soap favors (for her very small wedding). She wants ocean themed soap shapes in a "Jamaica type" fragrance. I happen to have 30 unscented sea turtles, starfish, and sea horses made from my aborted attempt at the soap dough challenge, so if I can get her to agree to something like a small piped rosette with the shapes embedded on top, I can make that very quickly. She's have her ocean theme and scented soap, and probably a more useable shape too. I have to have them done today though. They'll be barely 4 weeks old by the wedding, and I'd be hedging my bets that people wouldn't take them home and use them right away, so it might still be a good opportunity to get soap out there. I'd appreciate some opinions if anyone has them.
Could you do m&p? My boss wants 20-30 airplanes and after explaining the challenges of doing those with HP soap, she was good with m&p so maybe that would work?

Could you do m&p? My boss wants 20-30 airplanes and after explaining the challenges of doing those with HP soap, she was good with m&p so maybe that would work?

No, she wants MY soap. I thought about it though, at least to get scented shapes, but then I came up with the idea for piping to get the scent there and use the unscented shapes I already have made. I pitched the idea to her, so I'll see what she comes back with.

Oh the other soapy things I did were cleaning out my soap dough stash. A lot of it was hardened, so I shredded it into the scrap bin, which is now full. Some of it was useable, so I molded white roses, yellow lemons, and blue cornflowers for future projects. I am now out of soap dough and hopefully closing that chapter of my soapy life. [famous last words, I'm sure]

I shrink-wrapped a few bars of soap. I have to send the marijuana soap to my brother. The low percentage of hemp oil did not cause any problems and they are holding up very nicely. No color changes whatsoever. The fragrance isn't as strong as when new, so mailing soon before it is all gone is my goal. Next time I make this soap, I'll use more of the FO and color the soap. This is plain uncolored very pale ecru. But they look very nice. I still need to put labels on them, so maybe I'll get to that tomorrow, then package and mail.

Those are beautiful! If you don't mind (and Im fine if you dont want to share) how did you do the design on the top?

It was a bit of a fluke, really. I mixed my Merlot Mica with glycerin. I poured it lines the length of the mold then zigzagged back and forth across the batter. The glycerin separated and pooled into the final dots and lines you see on the top; I wasn't expecting that but I'll be keeping it in mind for other soaps.

Use oil for your mica drizzle. Glycerin mixed mica will always beed up

I like the way it turned out; it reminds me a bit of the Dutch pin painting and being from a Dutch background.......

Attachments

• 00793a0bfa63036c70a458de5e753b1e--tole-painting-fingerprints.jpg
    00793a0bfa63036c70a458de5e753b1e--tole-painting-fingerprints.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 14
It really is stunning, I love it !
It almost looked like you did pastry layered over the top and put little knife strikes through it like steam holes -if that makes sense

Latest posts

Back