What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soaping ...

Let me know if you want a test dummy. I make a good dummy ;)

Lots of people think that FO or EO magically and instantly evaporates if it is added above this temp. This just isn't true. Flashpoint is not boiling point.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=594940&postcount=9

Oh good to know! I'd read on a blog that you had to get the soap below the flashpoint of the fragrance would evaporate and wouldn't stick in the soap..

It's good to know that isn't the case, I'll try a second batch and see if it behaves better this time. Thank you, kchaystack!

I made my second attempt at the April challenge and I think it'll turn out as far as the stripes. It took a long, long, long time though, so I hope it was worth it.

i had a doctor's appointment smack in the middle of the day to avoid traffic, which I did.So I got up and over coffee I shrink wrapped 4 separate formulas of soap from about 2 years ago. These bags are of polyolefin, the smell through ones. i always wondered if the smell can come through can moisture as well? They were all around 3 pound batches, before I caught on that if a recipe is a flop you got a lot of soap to distribute to the unsuspecting....
On the way home I stopped at my friend's shop who was having a slow day and he cranked out 4 labels for me on Adobe Illustrator. I hate imposing but I got to say I am blessed...he always kicks a label up a notch for me well beyond my level of acceptance. And he was in graphic design for a number of years so I would like to think he enjoys a break from roasting coffee. Yes, I know, I'm blessed....
Anyway, so I labelled 3 of the 4 batches after dinner and the news and I had to try one of the soaps from a batch with sweet almond, olive ,palm kernel oils and cocoa and shea butters. I think its the only recipe with 2 butters I've made to date and one of the few with sweet almond oil. Well, I don't know if it's the 2 year cure or what but my face loves it...I keep on hoping I'll make a flop but those are few and far between. But then again, I only knew from Ivory for decades....
So the message I'd like to send out that I've heard echoed on this forum innumerable times is to hold on to your soaps as long a time as you can tolerate and that quite possibly that initial "mey"at 6 weeks cure may after a good long cure may be your best soap yet....

tumblr_oodhbtD5XI1rcpo9po1_540.jpg

The first of my long list of planned batches, the brown got away from me and accelerated a bit making the swirl I had wanted impossible, but other than that I love how it came out.

Our 3 week Spring break is over :( so it's time to get soaps stocked up for teacher appreciation. Made Beau Brummel and Sea Moss salt bars; so far Beau Brummel is completely different in soap than oob. Sea Moss riced a little but easily and quickly stick blended, heated and cracked in the mold but it should be find when it cools.

We started making end-of-year teacher gifts. I'm using them as an excuse to play with FO samples. One batch of "satsuma orange" and one batch of "lemon twist." The "lemon twist" discolored enough to turn the "lemon chiffon" mica a pale orange. :/

Yesterday I ironed all day (arghh!) so I could play with soap today. I had intended on making a Fourth of July soap, but alas it will wait until Sunday or Monday. Time got away from me while packaging cured soaps, making a new recipe to test, and ordering new FO. I'm holding everyone else on here responsible for my FO binge. The enabling that goes on in here is brutal.

Today, I made a batch of 100% coconut oil salt bars with coconut milk. I poured the batter into individual molds (recycled plastic cups) then put the molds on a heating pad for about 45 minutes. The soaps were ready to unmold and cut in 3 hours. They are a wonderful whitish-cream color, however, they smell horrible. I can't even get near the bars without having the urge to gag. :sick: I suspect it is from the sugars in the coconut milk reacting with the lye. Fingers crossed that the smell dissipates! :think:

My second try at the April challenge wasn't all that good. I waited too long to cut and some bar crumbled and others had the colour layers separate (this is probably due to me pouring the bottom white layer at very thick trace and waiting a while before pouring the second layer, to insure a straight line). So I rebatched the faulty bars with another bar that was fine but cut all crooked.

I added colloidal oatmeal, baking soda and some ground clove for colour. I gather it'll make a nice face bar.

Back