What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tested a thin end piece of a soap I made 2 weeks ago, and used it on my hands for three days in a row. It was my first soap EVER with a 3% SF.

I love it. Absahlutely love it! Bubbly, smooth, with a clean feeling afterwards, but no dryness whatsoever. The cleansing value was just 1 (lots of lard in this one) and no coconut.

Perfect, a new favourite.

Next I want to try 1% & a 0% SF, for comparison.

Wrapped and labeled a bunch of soap, made 150 lip balms and then wrapped and labeled those and finished with a small batch of sugar scrub. Getting ready to head 3 hour north this morning for a weekend show. Hoping the rain and storms they are forecasting stay away. We need rain but it can do that when I'm not setting up today or during the show tomorrow and Sunday. This is one. Of my favorite shows.

Welcome to the low(er) superfat club! Carolyn (cmzaha), a few others, and I like to make soap with a lower superfat like yours. Not to say every soap works well with lower superfat -- recipes with high coconut oil % come to mind -- but I've tried a variety of recipes with a lower superfat and none of them have been drying or harsh.

...my first soap EVER with a 3% SF. I love it. Absahlutely love it!

I had wanted to try my first fancy swirl but instead had fun with accelerating soap. It was tomato paste thickness, but plopped into some silicone molds decently. I split the batch with 2 different greens and 2 different reds to see what I liked best, so it worked for that purpose and I know what to use for Christmas soaps. It also smells wonderfully of white tea and ginger.

White Tea & Ginger is one of my favorite scents! I'm glad you were able to visualize what you needed for your Christmas soap

No, I've not tried Bonfire Bliss. I'm seeing the reviews and the product description say things like vanilla, toasted marshmallows, and smoke. I'd have to say these aren't words I'd use to describe Cracklin' Birch, so I'm guessing CB and BB are different scents. But without having tried BB, I can't say for sure.

Edit: Also the IRFA % is much higher for BB in soap than for CB. Bonfire bliss -- Soaps solid and liquid: 43.51%. Cracklin' Birch: 5% for same.

I used Bonfire bliss but assumed that usage rate was wrong - never come across one that high before!

Made 2.5 lbs soap with it at 5% and it sure didn't need any more than!
Lots of male and female friends likes it...of all the soaps I made around Christmas time BBliss was the one most chosen.

What IRFA says and what is sensible are two different things. The IRFA % is what would be theoretically safe if you totally ignore the practical issues. Some FOs are safe at 100% for example!

Welcome to the low(er) superfat club! Carolyn (cmzaha), a few others, and I like to make soap with a lower superfat like yours. Not to say every soap works well with lower superfat -- recipes with high coconut oil % come to mind -- but I've tried a variety of recipes with a lower superfat and none of them have been drying or harsh.

Thank you : )
I will do this again, for sure. I am a bit surprized it took me this long to test it out *sigh* because it was a real eyeopener!

I still discover small things I can improve. No big changes, just tiny adjustments that makes the process going forward naturally and I can improve. And I hope this lower SF testing is a way of going forward.

My soaps are SF between 5 & 6, and the coconutbar is 20% SF.

Really looking forward to see how my other soaps will respond to
The Battle of The Superfat!

Wait, that sounded so much better in my head
o_O

Batch of Monkey Farts and a batch of test peppermint cooling. My brain isn't sure about THAT combo of scents when I walk past........

One day I will get the amount of batter for my molds right....I think I'm forgetting the extra ounce of FO in my calculations!

Tomorrow will be soapy dishes day! Whee!

I'm actually doing soapy dish cleanup right now because all of my favorite molds are dirty. Gotta start cranking out soaps for football season and the holidays. Don't know what I was thinking but talked myself into making bath bombs on a 67% humidity day . . . I hope they aren't covered in warts tomorrow!

1471215818645.jpg

Whew! I popped in for a bit of soapy rest and relaxation... Reading this thread made me tired! You all are rock stars. In my soapy world things have really picked up - which is awesome after a disappointing July. I am doing awesome at the first Thursday market. Its a bummer that it's just once a month though. I did not go into the boutique in July as planned. (Looooong story.) Had a booth at a weekend festival - by far the best show ever. The other vendors complained about the slow crowd, but hubs-to-be and I did very well. I sold out of 3 fragrances and everything took a good hit. :) Chris sold out of most of his welded art. Busy making restocks again, but I did take a stab at cupcakes for the first time. I *might* be addicted to them now!

Trying to get back in the swing of things. For several months all the soap I have made has been for my commercial accounts. (I injured my ulnar nerve, stopped doing almost everything to hopefully let it heal; even went through surgery. Now I am deciding to just deal with it.) Yesterday I trimmed soap for my coffee shop account and will get it labeled today and delivered tomorrow. I have a couple more to label but really need to make more. So it is time to start measuring oils.

So So Busy

I have been so busy trying to keep up with orders, we started about two months ago stocking a store in Manistee Michigan. We went up to see them two weeks ago and had a great visit and they had some new ideas for products they wanted me to make. They wanted me to make a man's shaving kit, so I have been busy putting that together it will have his shaving bowl three of my shaving soaps and the shaving brush. Plus we have the fall shows coming up in the matter of a month or two and so trying to get everything stocked up for that has been almost overwhelming what great at the same time

I haven't soaped for over a month. I have been working on my vanilla test project though and testing our recent swap soaps.

Today I finally made some batches so I whipped up some goat's milk Oatmeal Milk and Honey, and eo blend of Rosemary Spearmint, Bite Me from NG with heart embeds, and Salty Sailor salt bars. It was a good day.

Latest posts

Back