What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I was extremely sad and upset about it last night, but I feel better this morning. I was in total shock last night. I ordered another one already. I will never put it in the oven again. I’m getting a heating pad. Only thing that will go in the oven are items I know that can withstand the heat in case it gets turned on. It’s a lesson learned.

Last edited:
I made my 8th batch today. I was all excited about the scent and the colors and trying to make sure it goes through gel, and then I soaped much warmer than usual for me. Completely forgot that would make it set up faster. I was going to do an ombre. So I've done a sort of a plopping ombre, which should be interesting.
Mixed results. The ombre actually worked better than I expected despite being plopping consistency by halfway through, but I've got my first spots! Not sure what went wrong, I used the same recipe I used for my last batch and only changed my soaping temperature, colors, and fragrance. Reviews of the fragrance didn't mention acceleration or ricing but when I put the fragrance in it looked like it split the batter. Anyway, here are photos, and I'll take my ricing questions over to the beginners forum. :) (The top looks like that because it stuck to the cardboard I covered it with.)

plopping ombre.jpeg

plopping ombre spots.jpeg

I made 2 batches of soap today. Both same colors and scents that I’ve done before. I added a hanger swirl to one of them to change up the design. The other is another batch of watermelon soap for a request for the entire batch. Hopefully I’ve done an improve on my pinks for this batch. I seriously think I am keeping BB afloat with how much of their Watermelon Sugar FO I buy and use - everyone seems to love love love it!

I’ve been weighing my micas and colorants lately so I can get better at understanding how they come out in finished soap and be more precise with usage.

I made 2 batches of soap today. Both same colors and scents that I’ve done before. I added a hanger swirl to one of them to change up the design. The other is another batch of watermelon soap for a request for the entire batch. Hopefully I’ve done an improve on my pinks for this batch. I seriously think I am keeping BB afloat with how much of their Watermelon Sugar FO I buy and use - everyone seems to love love love it!

I’ve been weighing my micas and colorants lately so I can get better at understanding how they come out in finished soap and be more precise with usage.
Have you tried BB champagne or ginger ale? They are pure heaven.

I have them both but haven’t tried them yet. That ginger ale has been whispering to me to try it, tho @AliensrReal
🤣🥰🤣
I can’t decide which one I like more, but I think I like the champagne more. I’m gonna order the bigger bottles to soap with. I think these would go great with JS Lime Kicker that I’m also obsessed about.

Whew...I managed to test two dozen FOs this weekend, but still have at least that many to go. I'm happy to say that most of them behaved well and also that I like most of the scents.
Happy soap-aversary, @Mobjack Bay 🥰
The cleaning and organizing didn’t sound as exciting, but I bet it’s nice to have the results. 😉
Hope you’ll share some info on your fav FOs you tested. 😊

How do you test two dozen FOs in a weekend?
Not @Mobjack Bay but I’ve done a bunch of fragrance testing lately too - I make a batch of soap and then weigh 50 grams of soap at a time into a Dixie cup, and then using a jewelers scale I measure in the fragrance oil. 5% default unless the usage rate is lower. I have some smaller silicone round molds so I put the Dixie cup into the mold and stir, or pour right away if it accelerates. I number each mold spot and have a spreadsheet that corresponds to the numbers, and then I take notes on behavior as I pour them. If you didn’t have the silicone molds you could just use the dixie cup as the mold.

How do you test two dozen FOs in a weekend?
I made two batches of soap and split each batch into a dozen single bar size portions before I added the FO to each portion - pretty much the same as shown in this YT video except that I poured each portion into a cavity mold.

I’m celebrating my 5 year soap-aversary this weekend by cleaning the soap room, making labels and testing FOs. These are not my favorite parts of soapmaking!
Party down, Baby! You sure know how to celebrate!

Just kidding. Not judging. Whatever floats your boat. A sincere Happy Soaperversary to you!

I’m celebrating my 5 year soap-aversary this weekend by cleaning the soap room, making labels and testing FOs. These are not my favorite parts of soapmaking!
I can't believe you're actually planning on doing all three of them! I usually plan on just doing one. And then I put it off until next, um, whenever.

Back